Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm new here and I thought this would be a good place to ask questions.

I have been looking to add a puppy in my life for a long time now and started looking at breeders. I've noticed that there is only one breeder on the CKC for maltese in BC, but she does not have any puppies right now.

I wanted to ask you guys if you have any recommendations for breeders outside of BC and if you guys know if they will have any upcoming litters. I have considered adopting a maltese overseas (such as the USA) but do not have much experience with that, so if anyone has any advice it would be appreciated.

Not related to my first question but, I have been seeing a lot of Korean breeders selling maltese such as @/dogyam_ and @/ilovedogmain. I was wondering if those were trustworthy breeders.

Premium Member
Other members on SM are much more qualified to give you breeder recommendations and address the issue of Korean breeders. I just wanted to give you a BIG SM Welcome & let you know we are glad to have you join this amazing Maltese forum! I am looking forward to hearing more about your journey in finding the perfect maltese for your family.
馃惗 馃惥馃尰

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Other members on SM are much more qualified to give you breeder recommendations and address the issue of Korean breeders. I just wanted to give you a BIG SM Welcome & let you know we are glad to have you join this amazing Maltese forum! I am looking forward to hearing more about your journey in finding the perfect maltese for your family.
馃惗 馃惥馃尰
Thank you!! I hope to learn lots from all of you 馃グ
I will definitely keep you guys updated in my journey of finding my perfect maltese馃挀

Registered
Hi, and welcome! I would definitley avoid Korean breeders at all costs. There are tons of puppy mills in Korea and to my knowledge, no one has actually ever visited a breeder there in person to know what's really going on. So, I would highly recommend you look in the US on the AMA breeder referral list, or get on that waiting list for the Canadian breeder. Malts are in verrrry short supply!

Premium Member
Welcome!
I鈥檝e never heard of those Korean breeders that you mention but I adopted my 2 youngest girls from Sunnydales in Korea. I had a wonderful experience with Shinyoung from Sunnydales. She sent full body xrays, all bloodwork before I even made a decision on my girls. There was never any pressure, whatsoever. We continue to talk regularly for the last 6 years. So, for me, it was the best decision adopting from Korea and I wouldn鈥檛 hesitate for a minute doing it over again.
That being said, yes, there are tons of puppy mills there and you have to be careful but there are just as many puppymills here. In fact,my oldest who I adopted from here has been sick since the day I adopted her 8 years ago. She was from a byb who led me to believe she was top show breeder.
The best advice I can give, no matter where you end up, is ask tons of questions, and if something doesn鈥檛 feel right, walk away.
Best of luck to you.

Super Moderator
You have to be careful of puppy mills, you will only get heartache. There are several reputable show breeders in Korea, my Casper is from Angela White. There has also been a lot of mixing back and forth of dogs from the US, Korea, and Japan. Shinemore and Sunnydales have good reputations . Look at the various websites and see how many dogs they have in the ring. There are also a lot of reputable breeders on the West coast, esp. in California. They will work with you on getting a courier who will fly the dog to you. I do not know what the Canadian rules are for importing pets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts