Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have to share because it was one of the most bizarre moments ever.

This lady with a dog comes up to my booth at the Pet Expo today. She saw Bijou, and said, "Oh, gosh. Maltese are just my favorite breed!" I looked down at her dog who is brown and silver (like Yorkie coloring), but bigger than a Yorkie like 15 pounds....and I said, "Oh, isn't your pup darling. Did you used to have a Maltese?" She said, "No, I've only ever just had this one Maltese." I seriously was in shock for a few seconds. I couldn't even speak. :blink: She thinks her brown and silver dog is a Maltese, and she also thinks my white dog is a Maltese?

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Is this breed confusion common?

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
I stopped to talk to a women in Kauai, she had a cute Malt and when I told her I had 2 she asked me what colors:blink:i told her they are only white and she firmly let me know I was wrong, her friend had a black maltese:huh: and he had papers. i have also had peole stop me to pet Mercedes and ask what kind of dog she is and then say that they have a Maltese at home.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
hahaha! Wow...there are some pretty clueless people out there! Someone asked me recently if Bailey was a daschund...:huh:

And get this...the first VET I ever took Bailey to thought he was part Jack Russel terrier :mellow: hmm...

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i have soo many ppl , with poodles , **** zus , bichon tell me they have the exact same type of dog i have .

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Somebody at my dog park thinks her 20# butterball with poodle curls and Malt tail is "just like Spookie"

the shelter said he is a Malt, so........

Then another kept calling her pup a Yorkie. Looked like a Silky to me.

Rooney is apricot. A Groomer asked me if he was a Poodle.

Don't you just want to smack 'em sometimes?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Very common. I have people coming up to me all the time in the park insisting that Lola is a white yorkie.

"Oh, she's a maltese"
"Are you sure? She really looks like a white yorkie." :smilie_tischkante:

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Oh I have had this happen a number of times. Once, a woman saw my dogs and started calling her husband, "Honey! Come and look at the teenie tiny Maltese dogs" (I had Frank and Lola at the time who are 6 and 7lbs) She says, we have a "regular" Maltese. So I took the bait and asked what was a "regular" maltese. Oh ya know, she says, he's about 15 lbs and has curlier hair. I just smiled and nodded. Nuff said!

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
My husband and i took the furkids to the mall and had them in their stroller. A group of ladies walked up to us and said "oh you have teacup maltese" i just said there is no such thing as a teacup anything except what you drink tea from and told them they are within breed standard and walked off. I have Noelle which is the smallest at 5 1/2 lbs and Riley at 6 and Chloe at about 7.:blink:

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
There are a lot of clueless people in the world. :) I don't even correct them anymore. I just smile and say what a beautiful dog they have. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are all much stronger than I am.....I would not be able to stop myself from correcting them.....I also have three Shih-Tzu's and it is very common for people to mistake them...and I am always quick to correct....
I never understand how someone can look at a Maltese and not know what it is....or think that their dog is even remotely kin......
I can't help it.....if people walk around the planet in a fog....I take it as my job to yank them out of the fog and set them straight....LOL
But of course.....there are those times when one just has to walk away.....far away.....

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Oh I have had this happen a number of times. Once, a woman saw my dogs and started calling her husband, "Honey! Come and look at the teenie tiny Maltese dogs" (I had Frank and Lola at the time who are 6 and 7lbs) She says, we have a "regular" Maltese. So I took the bait and asked what was a "regular" maltese. Oh ya know, she says, he's about 15 lbs and has curlier hair. I just smiled and nodded. Nuff said!
:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley: That made LOL- it really is taking the bait!!! I could just see it!

Lots of people call Bisou a "mini-Maltese"- maybe that's the wording here and I used to say no, she's actually within her standard- but now I don't really say anything because they get this glazed over blank stare - like they just literally tuned me out. So now I don't bother.

I have a feeling that will be worse in our new place of living because all the Maltese I've seen there look like Westies/ Bichon mixed in them and there are lots of dog farms / pet shops etc...so good breeders are rare.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I can understand people not knowing that don't own or know much about them, but it always surprises me when people are so ignorant about the breed they own or want to own.

I had someone message me on FB the other day and ask if my London was a Yorkie and then said she had always wanted one. And I've had people say all sorts of crazy things about Yorkies that wasn't true (teacup, etc) when they had one at home.

·
Registered
196 Posts
When I got Tiko, he was a "miniature" and was being used to breed puppies that were being sold as mini's also. It makes it so hard when there are people out there who don't know what they are talking about or do know but don't care.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
We get it all of the time. If I have both of my young boys I point out that Roo is oversize at 8 lbs and an entire head taller than Soda who is within standard. (Of course, we think Roo's 10 inches and 8 lbs is perfect size and we actually had to seek out a larger dog from a reputable breeder).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just this evening someone stopped us to admire Frankie. She then stated she had a maltese at home, except that it was larger and and light brown. I asked if she meant peach or lemon patches and she confirmed her "maltese" is all brown. We also get the teacup question quite often, I usually explain that 4-7lbs is standard, Frank is 4.5lbs.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think the Lhasa / Shih Tzu confusion is the worst but no one who has seen either could confuse them with a Malt. I've walked the Malt a whitish tzu, the most common question I get is "How old is s/he?" When I say four, I get these huge eyes and then What kind of dog is that? I think it's hilarious.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts