Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's my first time owning a puppy and i didn't know if this was normal so i'm relying on you maltese experts to answer some questions

when i first purchased leise her fur wasn't easy to manage at all. she had MANY mats and everytime i combed her, loads of fur began coming out. is it because she was shedding her puppy coat? i've also read on other posts and people have said they had to take their babies to the groomer because of mats (at 6+ months old) .. the thing with her fur is, it's so soft now and i don't have ANY problems with mats. will this change? will her fur change over time? how should her fur be at 4 months? is it only soft because she's still a baby?

sorry if i sound stupid but i was just wondering what's going on with her.. i'm learning i'm learning.....
someone help meeee~

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Originally posted by foX42O@Oct 8 2005, 10:08 AM
it's my first time owning a puppy and i didn't know if this was normal so i'm relying on you maltese experts to answer some questions

when i first purchased leise her fur wasn't easy to manage at all.  she had MANY mats and everytime i combed her, loads of fur began coming out.  is it because she was shedding her puppy coat?  i've also read on other posts and people have said they had to take their babies to the groomer because of mats (at 6+ months old) .. the thing with her fur is, it's so soft now and i don't have ANY problems with mats.  will this change?  will her fur change over time?  how should her fur be at 4 months?  is it only soft because she's still a baby? 

sorry if i sound stupid but i was just wondering what's going on with her.. i'm learning i'm learning..... 
  someone help meeee~
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=107720
[/QUOTE]

When you first got your darling baby she probably had tangles from not being brushed regularly, or from normal puppy play and tumbling.
Before you brush her you should lightly mist her coat with either a detangling leave-in type conditioner or even a little conditioner diluted with water, plain water will surfice if you don't have either. Just try not to dry brush her. She actually has hair and not fur, and she has no undercoat to shed. So any hair loss you were seeing is either hair that was pulled out with brushing or breakage from the tangles. Try spraying a little leave-in conditioner into any matts and working them free with your fingers before brushing. Also, it is important to completely brush her out before a bath because water will only tighten the tangles and make them harder to remove. Your baby will probably still have her puppy coat for another few months before her adult coat comes in. You may not even notice that the adult coat is growing in. There is no way to know what the adult coat will be until it is there. It can either be silky, cottony, or a combination. Many people decide on shorter cuts due to hair texture and their own time restraints. Some members do not have a lot of time to spend grooming and therefore opt for shorter more carefree puppy cuts. She will also start teething soon, so you may start to see some tear stains around her eyes. Wash her eyes daily when you brush her and that will help to keep the stains in check. Also, make sure you have plenty of chew toys available. There are some Maltese books available and even websites that you can visit that will have tips on grooming and puppy care. I'm sorry I do not have the web addresses at hand, I am sure someone else will probably post them. Your baby is a little darling, enjoy.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that was very helpful sassy's mommy

thank you for always leaving me great facts~

oh btw- i heard that you have to trim their fur between their toes... is this true? if so, how do i go about this?

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Originally posted by foX42O@Oct 8 2005, 11:49 AM
that was very helpful sassy's mommy

thank you for always leaving me great facts~

oh btw- i heard that you have to trim their fur between their toes... is this true?  if so, how do i go about this?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=107749
[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is necessary to trim the hair on the pads, otherwise they will become so overgrown that your baby will not have any traction. Also, the hair inside the ear canal has to be plucked. There is controvery on this matter, but I believe it is beneficial to help keep down ear infections. A lot of little doggie's need their anal glands expressed periodically. My vet is very resonable on his charge to trim Sassy's nails, pluck her ears, and express her glands. Also, your vet can show you how to do this. Some people choose to have a groomer to perform these services about every 4--6 weeks. That is up to you.

I have one of those little battery powered mustache trimmers. You can get them at any of the discount department stores for under $20. it is very helpful for trimming pads. There is no fear of cutting the pads. If you do your own nail trimming make sure you do not cut into the pink line that runs lengthwise down the nail. That is the "quick" and the nail will bleed if you clip that. If in fact that ever happens, you can use a steptic powder or some corn starch to stop the bleeding. It will be tender for a couple of days and your baby might even limp a little. Just like when we cut a nail into the quick. OUCH!

If you can't acquire a trimmer right now you can use a small pair of blount end scissors to trim the pads. Be very careful and do not cut the puppy's pads.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts