Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading all these things about the different sizes and weights of our "babies". Charlie is almost 5 months old and is around 6lbs. He doesn't look fat and I can feel his little ribs. I have cut back on the size of his treats that he gets for rewards for potty training...is there something else I should be doing or NOT doing? I just want him to be healthy...

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
My vet said an estimate of their full grown weight is double what they were at 3-4 months. I guess if there is anything you could do is just to make sure the amount of food he eats fits his lifestyle.
Sorry I don't have any useful advice...Peanut has always been small.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
If you can still feel his ribs then he is fine and still at a healthy weight.

That is how much Lexi weighed at 5/6 months. My guess would be if he keeps growing he will be around 8lbs full grown. That said some maltese stop growing at 8/9 months old and others grow until after 12 months. It is hard to say.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Where did you get Charlie? I think Charlie is just going to be a big Malt. There's nothing wrong with that. Just make sure you tell your vet your concerns and your vet can tell you for sure if Charlie is overweight.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
As Jodi says, your vet is the best judge of what Charlie's ideal weight should be. If his genes say he should be 9 pounds full grown, cutting back on his food will only make him hungry.

The standard says under 7 pounds with 4-6 preferred, but there is so much careless breeding of Maltese or intentional breeding to bigger dogs like Bichons and Westies to produce bigger litters (more $$$) that unless you have dealt with a reputable breeder, it's hard to say what size a puppy will be full grown.

A neighbor of mine got a puppy last summer from someone she thought was reputable. Full grown Zero was not supposed to be more than 5 pounds which was a requirement for her. Well, at 4 months Zero was 4&1/2 pounds!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
If you can still feel his ribs, I'm sure he's fine. Your vet can tell you for sure. My guess is he's gonna be a bigger boy, and that's totally fine
How much did he weigh at 12 weeks? My vet said to double the weight at 10-12 weeks and there ya go.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by puppylucy@Mar 30 2005, 02:59 PM
How much did he weigh at 12 weeks? My vet said to double the weight at 10-12 weeks and there ya go.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47511
[/QUOTE]
A lot of times that doesn't work. Lexi was 2.5lbs at 12 weeks, so doubled that is 5lbs. I've also heard the doubling the 12 week weight and adding 1/2lbs (there is also one that says add 1lbs). In Lexi's case none of those would work.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Mar 30 2005, 03:04 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-puppylucy
@Mar 30 2005, 02:59 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47511
A lot of times that doesn't work. Lexi was 2.5lbs at 12 weeks, so doubled that is 5lbs. I've also heard the doubling the 12 week weight and adding 1/2lbs (there is also one that says add 1lbs). In Lexi's case none of those would work.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47512
[/B][/QUOTE]

Cloud's weight tripled his weight at 10-12 wks. LOL

·
Registered
894 Posts
Our little "delicate" Sisse is now a whopping 4.5 lbs, at 18 weeks!!
We asked the Vet about being "overweight" and her reply was that if you can feel "rib bones" individually she was not overweight. Just gonna be a big girl!! :lol: As Marj has said many, many times, "just more to love"!! We do watch her treats and be sure to "subtract" these from her regular meals. Up until a few days ago we allowed her to "free feed" on her dry kibble. She rarely ate it so we took it up. She has not looked or acted hungry at all. She eats 2X a day and has a healthy appetite. She has also learned that we don't mess with mealtime. It's down for about 15 minutes, no more and no less. If it is left, it goes bye bye. She played with it for the first few days we did that and then soon realized that if it was down there, she had better eat it all!! This also really helped with the potty issues, 30-45 minutes later she is trotting out the doggie door to do her big business!!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Like everyone has said your maltese might not fit into the 4-7lbs range full grown but that dosnt always mean they are over weight just bigger bigger. When people who have new small dog puppies and tell me that their puppy keeps getting bigger (not fatter just bigger) they started feeding it less so it would stay small enough to carry around, never heard anyone on here say this just people i see when out with Sunny, it bugs me so much i mean those poor under fed puppies

Do you think i will have to pay for a whole vet visit if i wanted to bring Sunny in to see if he is at a good weight now? After he got so over weight, completely my fault lol, i have been closely watching what he easts and he has already lost a pound but i dont want him to get underweight or on the other side i dont want to keep giving him to many cookies if h has more weight to lose.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I think you can get them weighed at Petsmart or Petco for free.. someone told me that at least. If not, the vet will probably charge you a basic exam fee - for mine, that's like 8 dollars - that's how it shows up on the receipt, at least

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
When people who have new small dog puppies and tell me that their puppy keeps getting bigger (not fatter just bigger) they started feeding it less so it would stay small enough to carry around, never heard anyone on here say this just people i see when out with Sunny, it bugs me so much i mean those poor under fed puppies

:eek: That's so sad....

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
LOL has the 'double' formula worked for any of you?? Going by that Lucy's supposed to be 4-5 pounds
She's 3.5 right now, but I always imagined her getting way bigger :lol:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Puddles was 3 lbs @12 weeks, now hes a healthy (big) boy. We didn't cut his feeding back until he was 1 year old. That was the advice of our vet. Once he was fixed the weight started climbing. At 9 months he was up to 7 1/2 lbs, 12 months he was 10 1/2 lbs. We have cut his treats in 1/2 bits and he's having play time for 30 solid mins every night. Hes now back down to 8 1/2 lbs. I still can't feel the ribs as well as I did, but he also feels solid as a rock. If he stays under 10 lbs, I will be happy as long as he's healthy.

(My vet said for me to chill out about the tear stains and weight, he's only a baby)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Do you think i will have to pay for a whole vet visit if i wanted to bring Sunny in to see if he is at a good weight now?[/B]
I doubt they would charge you just to weigh Sunny. Our vet has an open door policy about alot of things. When we first got Izzy I wanted to make sure she was gaining steadily. so I took her once a week to the vets office. The staff would just look up from what they were doing and ask how much she weighed. Please give it a try and let us know how you made out.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Originally posted by 20202@Mar 30 2005, 09:57 PM
Do you think i will have to pay for a whole vet visit if i wanted to bring Sunny in to see if he is at a good weight now?
I doubt they would charge you just to weigh Sunny. Our vet has an open door policy about alot of things. When we first got Izzy I wanted to make sure she was gaining steadily. so I took her once a week to the vets office. The staff would just look up from what they were doing and ask how much she weighed. Please give it a try and let us know how you made out.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47630
[/B][/QUOTE]

Alright i will give that a try, maybe i will call first.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Definately call first. You never know when they have a crazy emergency and now is just a bad time to come down for anything. They should not charge you to let you put him on the scale.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by puppylucy@Mar 30 2005, 09:03 PM
LOL has the 'double' formula worked for any of you?? Going by that Lucy's supposed to be 4-5 pounds 
She's 3.5 right now, but I always imagined her getting way bigger  :lol:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47591
[/QUOTE]

Maybe it was just a fluke, but it worked perfect for Peanut. He was about 2.5 at 12 weeks and now he's between 5-6 pounds.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I'm hoping that this formula doesn't work for us. Our pup weighed just under 2 lbs. at 12 weeks. According to her breeder, she should get to be between 5 to 6 lbs. The vet thinks she'll be a bit smaller, maybe 5 lbs. Right now she is 7 months and weighs about 4 lbs. I haven't taken her to be weighed, but since her spay, the unscientific method of me getting on the scale with her indicates that she hasn't gained any weight. My scale isn't sensitive enough to detect less than 1/2 lb. differences.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts