Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Casey's dad saw a pic of this maltese and i called the guy:

the dog is 2 yrs old, male, named ONYX.

he's super cute, has long hair on his head.
these are the questions i asked:

name? Onyx

boy or girl? Boy

why needing a new home? because daughter is going to college and doesnt have time.

up to date on shots? yes

Good with kids, dogs, and cats? yes

any health problems? no

neutered? no (has been studed out once)

housetained? not sure....probably needs to be.

how was he acquired? by a friend

papers...like akc? i dont know

price of the dog? $300

these pics were taken last year. and the guy i spoke to seemed as though he doesnt care about the dog. he has the dog closed into the laundry room.

if anyone wants him....just tell me and i'll get the dog for you and you'll just have to pay for the dog.

im gonna upload the pics in a sec

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Awww. he is SO cute!
But SO far away! -_-

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Yeah I wish he was closer, and cheaper! He should just hand him over to a Maltese rescue or a small dog rescue in his area if he doesn't want the dog. He's just trying to make some money off of the poor thing.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
What a cutie.. makes me wish I didn't leave in Florida so my aunt could buy him... she's infatuated with Lucy. She was thisclose to buying Lucy's brother, but didn't think Benny (her peke) would do well with a puppy

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Call me a skeptic, but why wouldn't the owner turn him over to a rescue? And as a parent, would you give your child a dog only to sell the poor thing when your child goes off to college? To me something doesn't make sense about this. I do hope that this pup finds a good home, and not just any home! Maybe the local Malt or small breed rescue can call to convince this person to turn the dog over to rescue.

·
Registered
831 Posts
DoctorCathy, Incase the owner can't find a buyer. Here is some info of a local Maltese rescue in Santa Monica

Lhasa Happy Homes (they specialize in rescuing Lhasa Apso, Shih Tzu, Maltese and small breed dogs)
Santa Monica, CA
Phone: (310) 74-LHASA
E-mail: [email protected]
Website

***I hope he finds a loving home***

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was thinkign about this malt last night...and what everyone has been saying---and yeah, its really messed up whats happening. i was telling a friend about onyx and i was like "they want $300 for this dog, he's not potty trained, and he doesnt have any papers AND he's not neutered". this dog definitely needs a loving home.

do you guys think i should call back and see if onyx has been bought?

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
DoctorCathy, Incase the owner can't find a buyer. Here is some info of a local Maltese rescue in Santa Monica

Lhasa Happy Homes (they specialize in rescuing Lhasa Apso, Shih Tzu, Maltese and small breed dogs)
Santa Monica, CA
Phone: (310) 74-LHASA
E-mail: [email protected]
Website

Cathy, definitely call the rescue people she mentioned if you don't want the dog or know someone who does. If Rescue takes him in they'll make sure he is neutered and checked out before placing him, which is a good thing.

Exactly where in CA is he?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the malt is somewhere in valencia or castaic. and im not too sure how to go about this. the guy wants $300 for this dog. i doubt he would give this dog over to rescue if he could get some cash out of it, you know? he's advertising his dog everywhere. caseys dad found the pic at work on the billboard.

but do you guys think i should try calling this week or something?

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
I think the rescue people may buy it. They will turn around and get it back in adoption fees. It sure wouldn't hurt to let them know about the dog. They can take it from there......that's what they are used to doing. Particularly if it is a Maltese Rescue group they would want to know about it. I'm not involved in a rescue group, but I know several people on this forum are. They would know what to do. :excl:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Just to get him out of his present miserable conditions, I would donate $50 towards the purchase of this baby if rescue is willing to take him in.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I've emailed several people I know about this dog...some of my friends already have like 5 dogs...I think Valencia is about 1 hour or so away from where I live. I have too many as it is...but I would love to see this dog get a great home.

~Elegant

·
Registered
96 Posts
Originally posted by Elegant@Mar 20 2005, 01:36 AM
I've emailed several people I know about this dog...some of my friends already have like 5 dogs...I think Valencia is about 1 hour or so away from where I live.  I have too many as it is...but I would love to see this dog get a great home. 

~Elegant
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=44581
[/QUOTE]

Some rescues do buy dogs in cases like this. Members donate funds. I have helped raise money to get a precious pug that was UNEUTERED and being sold as good breeding stock, rescues will also raise funds to buy from auctions. I do know that North Central is not in the habit of "buying" dogs. SOooooo that said. I'd be willing to keep track of funds and make a donation myself if their is someone who can foster and get this baby in California. DoctorCathy where are you located? We can use NCMR to assist in placing him.

I think its good that this man put on there that he is not housebroken. At least its realistic. People do this ALL the time and sometimes they end up in really crummy homes if references aren't checked and LOL - Background and history checked.

What do you think? I am up for it - I am in Vermont or I would personally go get him and worry about the rest later. But Alas, thats what I always do!

C'mon gals lets get those super hero capes on and brainstorm!

Robyn

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Has anyone else donated toward his cause? I could probably swing a little....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts