Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello--

I'm hoping this is not anything serious, but my 11 year old maltese has stopped barking! For his entire life, he has barked at EVERYTHING (phone ringing, people outside, birds, etc....) However, one night he was in a deep sleep and he heard a noise which startled him. He made a funny bark sound and then completely stopped. Ever since then, he doesn't bark at the phone ringing, when people come to the door, NOTHING. This is very unusual. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? Do dogs "lose their bark" when they reach this age?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Could there be something wrong with his throat? How is he acting otherwise? Is he eating and drinking ok? How long has this been going on?

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I would have your vet's opinion. There could be a hidden reason why your baby stopped barking. God forbid it could become protentionally serious, you just never know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He seems perfectly normal other than not barking. I've been closely monitoring his behavior and he's playing as normal, eating as normal, drinking as normal, etc...He just doesn't bark any more! I have a regular appt already set for him next week, but I was just wondering if this was an immediate emergency that I should go ahead and take him in now.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I would call the vet and tell them. His throat could be hurting that's why he's stopped. How long has this been going on?

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Originally posted by lightlk@May 23 2005, 11:57 AM
Hello--

I'm hoping this is not anything serious, but my 11 year old maltese has stopped barking!  For his entire life, he has barked at EVERYTHING (phone ringing, people outside, birds, etc....)  However, one night he was in a deep sleep and he heard a noise which startled him.  He made a funny bark sound and then completely stopped.  Ever since then, he doesn't bark at the phone ringing, when people come to the door, NOTHING.  This is very unusual.  Has anyone ever heard of this happening?  Do dogs "lose their bark" when they reach this age?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64472
[/QUOTE]

Is his hearing OK? I wondered if there has been a bit of hearing loss which is not unheard of in "senior" pooches.

missysmom

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
How odd! I'm glad you've got an appointment already, but I think I'd call and see if the vet thinks you should come in any earlier. Please keep us posted!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts