Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to introduce myself as an over 30 year lover of Maltese babies. My first Maltese Pee Wee lived to be 14 years old. After he passed I couldn't live without these sweet angels being in my family's life. Since Pee Wee we have had several others. Each one as special in their own way and has forever engrained themselves into my heart. Last year in June 2020 I lost my absolutely gorgeous little Timmy at 18 years old. Needless to say, my heart was broken into a million pieces and I still haven't recovered. As life may have it, my 8 year old princess Lilly, died on August 20th 2021 suddenly from a flare up of Thrombocytopenia. The vet who usually treated her wouldn't see her because she was overbooked, the vet wouldn't even return my calls. I had to take Lilly to the ER where she became stabilized but she died in my arms when we got her to the vet. Lilly died within 12 hours what seemed to be out of nowhere. It is my first experience with such a rapid death. She kept looking at me with those big soulful eyes and it kills me that I couldn't do anything to help her. I am ridden with such piercing pain over the loss of my beautiful sweet Lilly. Her life was much too short.
It is of such comfort to be a part of this forum to read how others have suffered with their losses and how they have found the strength to move on. My thoughts , prayers, and compassion goes out to each and every one of you. I am so torn up and I know that you all understand and can relate to my pain and heartache.
I have been fortunate to experience the love these little fur babies give us. I am blessed in so many ways for the joy, happiness and incredibly special times I was able to share with them. My heart will always ache and long for them, even though I know they are at peace.
I am a forever lover of Maltese and it warms my heart to read about the love that flourishes within this forum for our little angel fur babies. I will light a candle tonight Wednesday, September 22, for those who crossed the Rainbow Bridge.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,906 Posts
Welcome to SM! I apologize that I am somewhat delinquent in responding. I have to limit my computer time at the moment but wanted you to know that my heart is broken w/yours at your sad losses. I have for over a year grieved the imminent loss of our little Lisi (she has a rare form of cancer in the small intestines)---she was given 3 months to live w/her 2nd & last surgery but she has outlived everyone's expectations. She is Ms. Tenacity & is a happy, happy girl who wags her little tail 24/7. She may outlive me at this rate! :)---but I digress. I have been owned by many maltese over my life-time & each passing has taken a part of my heart & always enlarged it for the desire to be owned again. I know when the time is right you will find that to be true as well. For now it is important to own your grief & work through the process of losing someone so valuable that you would give your own life to save that little piece of fur that is 100% captain of your whole being. Alas, that is not our choice and heaven is populated w/little animal souls that are waiting for us to join them.
Please stay w/us & let us share what was so special about your little girl. We can't bring her back but we can grieve w/you. Big hugs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your incredibly comforting response. I am overwhelmed by your insights and kindness. It is helping me tremendously to better handle my grief. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow, I am crying as I type this. I understand your pain and I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you and Lilly had an especially strong bond. Please take comfort in knowing you gave Lily a wonderful life. It is so hard to lose them suddenly, but for them it is better than a drawn out end of life.

Be extra kind to yourself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are so right. Lilly's passing so quickly spared her additional discomfort and drawn out pain I am certain. She was an elegant little lady and didn't deserve to leave so soon. I just wish I could have held her more. As many of us also feel....if only I knew ahead of time she was going to leave me so quickly....I do thank you for responding with your lovely thoughts that help to give me the strength I need to move forward.

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,028 Posts
So sorry for you loss.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,906 Posts
Did your vet diagnose what caused Lilly's ITP? Was it primary or secondary? When Lisi had vasculitis it happened so fast & her platelets were very low. We were warned that she could bleed out quickly. We lived in Austria then & our vet had only read about vasculitis in books---had never seen a case in real life. We reached out to Dr. Dodds in CA (Hemopet--you can google it) who was an immense help & oh so kind. We sent serum to Dr. D & she immediately responded w/helpful advice. It is such a scary thing when we don't know how to help but know it has to be done quickly. I think you did all you could do to help Lily & the really best thing was not making her suffer anymore.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Welcome and I am so deeply sorry for your loss. I too know all to well the pain of losing a beloved fur baby.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,
New here...we were rescued by an elderly neighbor's 3 yr. old Maltese, "Maggie" two years ago. My husband struggles with PTSD & anxiety and our little sweet pea knows just when to climb on top of his lap to love, cuddle and comfort....it works like a charm every time!! She has warmed our hearts beyond belief.....we had just lost our Standard Poodle, "Chloe" so she definitely helped to soften that painful blow a bit with her funny, quirky personality and unending love.
I'm sorry for your loss HJG.....we know it too well. ((Hugs)) Jean

1 - 9 of 9 Posts