Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading an article in a magazine that I got at a holiday gift exchange. My friend knows I love my Maltese and decided to buy this magazine for me. Anyways, I was reading several articles in this $10 magazine...Jennfier Siliski was quoted in there several times. She talked about their sweet temperment, how well they are around children, etc. Now this is the same magazine that has an article about finding a healthy puppy and it also talks about the First Rate Dog Show Kennels (what do they mean by kennels? ugh!!!) -
#1 Richelieu
#2 Su - Le
#3 Divine Maltese
#4 TNT Maltese

I am going to write the magazine and complain...how dare they quote that evil woman?

~Elegant

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Elegant@Dec 20 2004, 09:09 PM
I was reading an article in a magazine that I got at a holiday gift exchange.  My friend knows I love my Maltese and decided to buy this magazine for me.  Anyways, I was reading several articles in this $10 magazine...Jennfier Siliski was quoted in there several times.  She talked about their sweet temperment, how well they are around children, etc.  Now this is the same magazine that has an article about finding a healthy puppy and it also talks about the First Rate Dog Show Kennels (what do they mean by kennels? ugh!!!) -
#1 Richelieu
#2 Su - Le
#3 Divine Maltese
#4 TNT Maltese

I am going to write the magazine and complain...how dare they quote that evil woman?

~Elegant
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24579
[/QUOTE]

I have this magazine also. The story was obviously written a long, long time ago. I believe the magazine comes out only once a year.

I have worked for a publishing company for many, many years and I know how lazy some freelance writers can be.They don't also do their research, etc. And even though a fact checker would approve the story, it is not quite the helpful article it could be if more time was taken for thorough research.

I know that TNT and Divine are excellent but there are other good ones too. I'm not familiar with Richelieu or Su-Le. But unfortunately what we read in magazines, in general, is just not always completely true or thoroughly researched and when we are familiar with the topic, as in this case, that weakness in the "system" comes through loud and clear.

Even using the word "kennel" is not really accurate. I'm sure these excellent breeders mentioned in the article would not want "kennel" associated with their breeding program... I would imagine the word is seen as a pejorative to them.

And what about the people out there who have not heard of the Siliski scandal.... they read this pub and then go out there quoting how Siliski is such an expert, etc.

Elegant, I hope you do write a letter to the pub. This was an example of poor journalism, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
What did you say to them? Can we see a copy of the letter? Sher, since you have the magazine also I think you should write to them too, and anyone else with this magazine. The more letters they get the more serious they will take it and maybe they will write a retraction in their next magazine.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by FannyMay@Dec 21 2004, 10:04 AM
What did you say to them?  Can we see a copy of the letter?  Sher, since you have the magazine also I think you should write to them too, and anyone else with this magazine.  The more letters they get the more serious they will take it and maybe they will write a retraction in their next magazine.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24646
[/QUOTE]

Yes, on the way to work this morning I was thinking about this and that I need to write them a letter...

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here it goes:

Their response -

Thank you for your concern regarding the Jennifer Siliski quotes in
Maltese magazine. Unfortunately, Siliski managed to fool one of our
writers, as well as countless puppy buyers.

Shortly after printing the magazine, the arrest and subsequent animal
cruelty charges came to our attention. Thousands of copies of the
magazine had already been printed and distributed to pet-supply stores.
As soon as we heard of the incident, we had the author re-write the
story and remove all mentions and quotes from Siliski, and we reprinted
the magazine (identical to the first, except for the revised article
"Meet the Merry Maltese"). These new issues were distributed, but it's
possible that old versions are still around.

If you forward your address to me, I'd be happy to send you a new
revised copy of Maltese magazine.

Again, I appreciate your concern regarding this important matter. If I
can answer any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Jackie Franza
Managing Editor
Popular Dogs Series
[email protected]
(949) 855-8822

·
Banned
258 Posts
hum..... "managed to fool one of our writers".... as in: one of our writers didn't do a thorough research perhaps?
i'm no expert but seems rather obvious to identify a respectable breeder from a puppymill operator.
and the managing editor made no mention of a retraction in the new printing?
that is beyond bad research, it is bad editorial.

good job though, elegant

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Jenny Siliski fooled many more people than the writer. I wouldn't be surprised that the writer was indeed fooled.

If we take a poll around this forum, I bet more than a handful have a Maltese from Jenny Siliski. I am one of these people. Cookie was bred by Jenny Siliski and I am probably one of the lucky ones because Cookie is so healthy, smart and adorable. I would not trade her for the world.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by CharmyPoo@Dec 21 2004, 07:52 PM
Jenny Siliski fooled many more people than the writer.  I wouldn't be surprised that the writer was indeed fooled.

If we take a poll around this forum, I bet more than a handful have a Maltese from Jenny Siliski.  I am one of these people.  Cookie was bred by Jenny Siliski and I am probably one of the lucky ones because Cookie is so healthy, smart and adorable.  I would not trade her for the world.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24774
[/QUOTE]

Gosh, I had no idea you had one of Siliski's..... Cookie is indeed adorable.... I'm glad she's healthy, etc. I had heard somewhere that Siliski had one group of dogs that were taken care of and well bred, while the majority were not..... Not sure if this is accurate information....

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by CharmyPoo@Dec 21 2004, 06:52 PM
Jenny Siliski fooled many more people than the writer.  I wouldn't be surprised that the writer was indeed fooled.

If we take a poll around this forum, I bet more than a handful have a Maltese from Jenny Siliski.  I am one of these people.  Cookie was bred by Jenny Siliski and I am probably one of the lucky ones because Cookie is so healthy, smart and adorable.  I would not trade her for the world.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24774
[/QUOTE]

Was Cookie sent to you or did you pick her up?
JS used to enter her Maltese in dog shows and stuff. She's popular. The only reason she was caught was because of all the complaints from ppl who DID visit her nasty craphole of a house and picked up their babies there. Those were the ones that reported her. At least that's what I got out of the news.

Elegant--DEFINITELY, make them send you a revised copy! LOL

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Elegant@Dec 21 2004, 02:00 PM
Here it goes:

Their response -

Thank you for your concern regarding the Jennifer Siliski quotes in
Maltese magazine. Unfortunately, Siliski managed to fool one of our
writers, as well as countless puppy buyers.

Shortly after printing the magazine, the arrest and subsequent animal
cruelty charges came to our attention. Thousands of copies of the
magazine had already been printed and distributed to pet-supply stores.
As soon as we heard of the incident, we had the author re-write the
story and remove all mentions and quotes from Siliski, and we reprinted
the magazine (identical to the first, except for the revised article
"Meet the Merry Maltese"). These new issues were distributed, but it's
possible that old versions are still around.

If you forward your address to me, I'd be happy to send you a new
revised copy of Maltese magazine.

Again, I appreciate your concern regarding this important matter. If I
can answer any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Jackie Franza
Managing Editor
Popular Dogs Series
[email protected]
(949) 855-8822
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24681
[/QUOTE]

Great job, Elegant ....

Having worked in magazine publishing for many years, I can imagine the chaos in the office when they got this news. When things like this happen... oh, how it hurts! :eek:

It is tough when working in print media because once something is printed, it is very expensive to change it.

However, the right thing to do would have been to have their distributors pull from all sales outlets any unsold copies of the magazine and replace them with the corrected version, since they found out about it "Shortly after printing...." Yes, it would have been a financial hit to pull the unsold copies but IMHO that's what they should have done.

This is an interesting case in business ethics... would be a good one to use in the classroom setting..... In fact, I think I'll bring this up in our next mgt. meeting to give our brains a little work out!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have that magazine, i bought it for the photos though becuase i wanted ideals on how i wanted sunny's hair, anways i never actully read most of it until i saw this post, i bought this copy maybe a month ago and it still has the Siliski quote it in so they must not have reprinted many copies.....just about the only this i actully read was the top 4 kennels thing and that was becuase i live in jupiter florida and marcris had a big side article in there, when you live in a town this size and it shows up in a national magazine you stop and read the article
anyways a lot of people are really missinfomed about stuff like kennles and mean sure the breeders they mentioned proubly wouldnt want to be called a kennle but a lot of people dont see anything wrong with a kennle....this topic reminded me of a board i made a few months ago about a book with just horrably off information people write some crazy stuff at least most the information in this magazine seems about right even if the sources are bad...most people dont look at who is saying it as much as what is being said

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
"I had heard somewhere that Siliski had one group of dogs that were taken care of and well bred, while the majority were not..... Not sure if this is accurate information...."

I was also under the same impression, that there were two different Hollybelle Maltese. There were the well bred ones she showed and sold to knowledgable or well known people. (she used to run an ad in Dog Fancy magazine with pictures of her celebrity clients). Then there were the other ones, the ones she sold to unsuspecting people for $2500, the ones that were seized last winter.

·
Banned
258 Posts
i suppose you're right but surely they are not against free advertisement such as " as reported in maltese magazine...."
oh well, some will be content with just fluff, leaving the meaty stuff to more serious journalists or writers. as the world turns...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts