Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

maltese or no maltese??

1K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  Mystify79 
#1 ·
i'm SERIOUSLY consitering buying a maltese... i've done my research and decided i wanted a girl maltese!........

but i was also thinking of a shih tzu and a lhasa opsa and a yorkie...... i think the maltese would be better for me........ any advise????

Sarah

See less See more
#3 ·
I havnt ever actully had a yorkie, shitzu, or lhasa but i used to have a roomate who had a lhasa and while i though hers was just the sweetest dog on the planet when i looked into getting one for myself after we moved out i found that usually they arnt that sweet, they apparently arnt dogs that a generally safe for around kids i remember one book i read about differnt breeds of dogs gave the lhasa the same safety warning as a chow chow!! also they have a lot bigger than a maltese. I cant really help you at all with the other 2 although i did consider both of them when i was looking for a puppy, i dont personlly care for terriers becuase they chase everything (not my Sunny my maltese dosnt lol), and i didnt get a shitzu becuase they have an undercoat so i thought it it might be to hot here in florida to keep the dogs hair long. Hope something i said helps.

#4 ·
All 4 are actually very different. For starters, Shih Tzu and Lhasa Apso are much bigger than Maltese - almost double in size. The Yorkie is around the same size. Yorkies are terriers and are much more active than Maltese. They both have single coats. Shih Tzu and Lhasa Apso both have double coats so they may shed a little and sometimes has a doggie smell. Shih Tzu and Lhasa Apso are also known to be more stubborn and a little harder to train.

I have a little Shih Tzu, Waffle, who is around 6 lbs. I have also had a foster here who was a Lhasa. They are different from the Maltese and I prefer the Maltese breed. I also like Yorkies but they look very different in terms of colours and have different personalities.

I would suggest you go to a dog show and see all these breeds in real life. After the show, talk to the breeders and find out more. Alternatively, you could visit breeders from each breed and find out more.

#8 ·
I fell in love with the maltese on the cover of a book.I bought and read the book before I made my decision. After I got flurry I was so in love with him and he needed a playmate, then i got my second maltese Sassy. It took a lot of convincing for my hubby to warm up to the idea of a second dog. Now he is so in love with both of them. He brought home a 3rd, rofl, who needed a home, our Benji. I can tell you I have had a lot of dogs in the past. I always rescued dogs until I fell in love with the Maltese. Now I can't imagine a home being a home without a Maltese. They are like children.
Do research and make a good decision based on your family. Good luck in your search.

#14 ·
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Apr 3 2005, 02:43 PM
You might take your lifestyle in to consideration.... Do you have allergies? Do you want a dog that does not shed? Do you have small children? Do you have time to brush and groom regularly? The answers to these might help lead you in the right direction.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=48589
[/QUOTE]

Just a note about allergies......

Many people who have allergies find that they can have a Maltese, but there is no guarentee that you won't still be allergic. Some people still have allergic reactions to Maltese.

I believe Fantasia's mom, Jodi, is one of those unfortunate people. Hopefully, she will jump in here. If I remember, they had to kick Fantasia out of their bed per doctor's instructions when she found out she was so allergic to her.

#15 ·
I was on the sight that Tylers sis gave me and on the overview it says:

Overview: The Maltese becomes attached to the whole family and enjoys the company of well-behaved visitors, as well as other animals. He's got a lot of sparkle in his personality. He likes to be treated like the adorable baby of the family, but will happily respect commonsense rules.[/B]
but on another sight it says they get along with everyine BUT has one certain person that's "theres" andi guess the word is attached to the person and their owner is their favorite person altho they like the rest of the family... get it??...

which one is correct??...... saying thats they're attached to the hole family or attached to the owner?

Sarah

#16 ·
My sister in law has a yorkie-Lucy is a very sweet little dog-dislikes children-all of them, and is a little runner-she'll take off in a second if given half a chance.

I got my dog, Angel, a maltese, due to serendipity-however-I'd get another in a heartbeat.

I'm her favorite (I feed her, brush her, bathe her, and generally spend all day with her) But she adores my children, and sleeps with my daughter. When strangers come to the house, even with small children, I really don;t worry about her reaction-she acts as if we gave her the greatest treat-more playmates!

She does the Maltese happy dance, which has to be the most adorable thing in the free world. I've had many, many dogs in my life-none has had the FIT of ECSTASY when I enter a room like Angel. She has a way of making me feel as if I am the only person in her little world....(But of course then she greets others that way too...but not as insanely..I like to think)

However-a Maltese is a very small, delicate dog. If my 4 year old son wasn;t an extraordinarily gentle soul-I'd worry about her safety. They are easily hurt, and need alot of grooming (Even a puppy cut can get matted if not brushed regularly)

I would get another in a heart beat-

You should go to breed club sites and check their "breed description" Most clubs will give you the absolute worst case scenario because they don't like to rescue unwanted dogs-they will be most honest. (I didn;t mean didn;t like to rescue them-I meant they hate to see sweet dogs given up by someone unprepared for the package)

Whew-I'm rambling on-If you need me to tell you anything else about how perfectly wonderful my Angel is-just ask...lol

#17 ·
Originally posted by puppy_luv4life@Apr 5 2005, 05:00 PM
I was on the sight that Tylers sis gave me and on the overview it says:

Overview: The Maltese becomes attached to the whole family and enjoys the company of well-behaved visitors, as well as other animals. He's got a lot of sparkle in his personality. He likes to be treated like the adorable baby of the family, but will happily respect commonsense rules.
but on another sight it says they get along with everyine BUT has one certain person that's "theres" andi guess the word is attached to the person and their owner is their favorite person altho they like the rest of the family... get it??...

which one is correct??...... saying thats they're attached to the hole family or attached to the owner?

Sarah

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49377
[/B][/QUOTE]
Tuffy is attached to the whole family. He loves us all though I think he does favor my husband because he never is in chage of training or scolding.
But he doesn't dislike anyone.. he pretty much will love on anyone who wants to give him love.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.