Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm 20 years old and I brought home my puppy Chilly a month ago and I absolutely LOVE him to death!! He's my first dog so everything is pretty new to me right now.

When I started thinking about getting a dog I was sure that I would have enough time for him. But I'm just now starting to realize what an INSANE change this is in your lifestyle! I'm used to being able to go where ever I want, when ever I want to but that certainly is not the case with Chilly around! Not that I mind though, because most of the time when I go out (which hasn't been very often lately!) by the end of it I'm just itching to get home to Chilly! I occasionally feel like an ACTUAL mom, like when I have a date with my friends or boyfriend I try to make sure someone is home with Chilly and I'll always tell them when I'm coming home.

I'm also starting back at University again this week, so Chilly is going to have to stay in his crate while I'm in classes and I'm not looking forward to that.
I still live at home though and luckily for me my dad is home every other week so Chilly doesn't have to be alone too much. And I have 2 days off (besides weekends) and no job so I have enough extra time to spend with Chilly. Another side note, is that I have a boyfriend who is in the army who I only see on weekends and having Chilly is bonding us even closer together.

Anyway, I'm kind of rambling on and I'm not even sure what my post was about! I guess I'm just wondering how people in my age group dealt with the lifestyle changes that came along with bringing a Malt into their lives. Shared experiences would be great!

Mal & Chilly

- working on getting pics -

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hi there

I'm 23, and I just got Jack three months ago at the start of my summer vacation (I'm in med school). I trained him to stay in my room with the door closed while I'm in class (instead of inside a locked crate) and he is very well behaved, and still gets to run around, tossing his toys and chasing them while I'm not there. I think it's better this way, especially if you're going to be gone all day long.

It has been a little hard getting used to the responsibility of having a pet like Jack. I never had a dog before, I always had cats growing up, so I didn't really understand how much work it really is!! Luckily I adore Jack and would do anything for him, so it's been easy for the most part. When I go out without him, I do feel guilty, but I always save an especially yummy treat for when I get back, so he knows that when I come home, I will bring a yummy. He loves this!! And I try to leave him as soon as I close the door, so I don't have to listen to his crying ...

But yeah, it's been a bit stressful at times. I think the money is a tad more than I really expected to spend (neuter, toys, my spoiling him, etc). Also, if I don't have time to really play with him pretty hard during the day, he doesn't sleep well, and he keeps ME awake!!
So I've learned to always wear him out so that I can sleep!!

Anyway, it's great to meet a fellow youngun. Others can surely add to what I've said!!

Cheers,
Cindy & Jackyboy

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I am 25 so do I still fit as under 25? Honestly, it is a tremendous responsibility. I always knew it was but I had no problems during school. I took them to class with me frequently and I always went out with them. I also lived at home so my grandma or sisters were with them all the time.

Several things in my life have changed since school. I started working full time on a high stress job that on ocassion may require travelling. My grandmother moved back to Asia. There are times when I have to pass up wonderful travel opportunies for work. For a girl in her mid-20s, it is one of the perks to travel the world paid for by the company. But I always take local projects to stay with my kids. Honestly, I didn't really think of this 5 years ago.

Don't get me wrong .. I don't regret a thing and I would do it again. My kids mean the world to me and they bring me so much joy. But it also means I have to make a lot of scarfices. I also have to budget for them. In the last year, I have spent more than $10,000 on Nibbler. He was recently near his death bed but he had a miracle recovery and will be coming home shortly after being at the vet for over a week.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hello there, I'm 11 years! Yeah I'm like the youngest here on on SM!
My doggie's name is Tyler and he's 1 year old.

Cindy: I love your siggy! Jack is so cute!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Well I don't fit into the catagory of your age group but I just wanted to say Welcome to SM and it is nice to meet both you and Chilly

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I'm 23 and I also didn't really realize how much time Kylee would take up...but I dont mind one bit. I recently started school again after being off all summer with her ( I just got her in June) so its been hard leaving her for 6 hours a day..but she just knows she gets a lot of fun time with mom when I get home. It's interesting though bc I look at my life with Kylee and I look at my friends lives without any pets and it's amazing how different they are. I definetly feel like I have a real kid. Like if I go out with my friends (they live and go out about 25-30 minutes away from where I live) I cant just sleep over their house anymore afterwards. I usually like to wait till after her bed time (9-9:30) to go out in the first place. I cant go away for weekends. My friends actually think I'm crazy when I tell them I cant do something because of Kylee. Like if I was in school all day, I wont go out to eat dinner or anything bc I cant bear to leave her after leaving her 6 hours and only being home for 1 or 2 in between. I talk about having to stay with her as if she was my child and my friends dont get it and get kind of aggravated with me...thats why I love coming on here because everyone on here knows what this is all about. But even through all the sacrifices that I've made, the rewards that she provides surpass them many many times.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Mal and Chilly

I'm 20 too, and I got Bailey two summers ago so I could have a family member to keep me company since my parents and brother all live in Asia. When I first got her, I was very intimated by the responsibility of caring for a living being.. but now I don't know what I would do without her! She's the one that greets me at the door when I get home!

It is a little tough because I have to plan my class schedule so I'm not on campus all day long and I sometimes have to skip out on exam reviews if their held in the evening (but then again I do have a 50 min commute). Or if I'm invited somewhere I don't go cuz I hate leaving her alone so long.

I also travel a lot so I either have to fly Bailey with me or I get one of my friends to stay at my house and "Bailey-sit". =) It is a tad costly and you do have to make a few sacrifices, but it's also helping me become more of an adult

Bailey's used to staying home while I go to school. She knows when it's time for me to leave in the morning and eagerly waits by the cabinet where her Chicken Jerky is so she can munch on it and I can escape without her following me. It also helps me feel less guilty for leaving her since those treats are her favorite!

I know she sleeps all day cuz when I get home she is one hyper puppy! Since Bailey loves to play fetch, I'm always throwing one of her toys while I do homework to tire her out.

Anyway, sorry this is so long..
Hope all goes well during your first week back!

Casey and little Miss Bailey

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by CharmyPoo@Sep 11 2005, 09:29 PM
I am 25 so do I still fit as under 25?  Honestly, it is a tremendous responsibility.  I always knew it was but I had no problems during school.  I took them to class with me frequently and I always went out with them.  I also lived at home so my grandma or sisters were with them all the time.

Several things in my life have changed since school.  I started working full time on a high stress job that on ocassion may require travelling.  My grandmother moved back to Asia.  There are times when I have to pass up wonderful travel opportunies for work.  For a girl in her mid-20s, it is one of the perks to travel the world paid for by the company.  But I always take local projects to stay with my kids.  Honestly, I didn't really think of this 5 years ago.

Don't get me wrong .. I don't regret a thing and I would do it again.  My kids mean the world to me and they bring me so much joy.  But it also means I have to make a lot of scarfices.  I also have to budget for them.  In the last year, I have spent more than $10,000 on Nibbler.  He was recently near his death bed but he had a miracle recovery and will be coming home shortly after being at the vet for over a week.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98623
[/QUOTE]

I guess I missed what was going on with Nibbler with his last illness. What happened to him? I'm glad he is making a good recovery.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
<---now 28 and 30. We got Chanel when we were 24 and 26 after we had a condo with a little garden then Gucci a year later.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I'm 24.. going to be 25 in a few months...
.. but anyway... I got kodie when I was 23 and did realize he was going to be A LOT of responsiblity. When i first got him I had to worry even more about him than I could ever image but.. since hes full grown now things are little bit easier. I have him in a big exercise pen in my bedroom when i'm not home. He has everything he needs in there... puppy pad, food, water, a few toys, his bed.. and I leave the TV always on for him. I usually stop home during my lunch hr from work to see how he is.... hes usually asleep! haha I also spend a lot of nights at home with kodie instead of going out. I can never spend the night out somewhere because then poor kodie would be home alone all night! I guess... a lot of freedom is taken away when you have a pup... but I dont mind... in the long run I'm so glad to have him in my life. I used to take Kodie EVERYWHERE... but now that he barks.. its sometimes difficult... so instead if I go to NYC as a day trip... I will have my parents watch him at night when they are off work.
As for money... Kodie has cost me over $3,000 already and hes only 2yrs old. I knew dogs were expensive but I honestly never sat there and planned how i was going to pay for things... which is bad... I am only like that i think because i still live at home with my parents.. haha.. but otherwise... I should have planned for vet bills and such. Instead i'm still trying to pay off my 2 maxed credit cards.
Kodie's neutering/teeth pulling was around $1,000... because of his issues... so I know that in the future of he needs something done... its gonna cost me because of all the precautions I have to take him with him. I'm hoping to be better prepared next time. In the end... I love Kodie to death! He has a GREAT personality and I am soo glad to have him. He's the dog i've always wanted since I was 6 yrs old!!
Loyal, friendly, loving, my best friend...

·
Registered
496 Posts
I’m technically 24. My Birthday was Aug 29th, the day the storm hit. Needless to say we didn't do too much celebrating. My twin sister and I decided our BD didn't count this year since we didn't get to spend it together and it won't until we do (she lived in New Orleans, evacuated to West Monroe, then left on a business trip for two week. We have one more week to go) So, I’m 23…but not really…

I have a question for the youngons…

Instead of going out every weekend, people come over to my house or we’ll go to our friends. I was just wondering how does your babies react to a house full off people?

It seems like Tucker is ok w/ it, but he may be a little scared. When I hold him he licks my face like there is no tomorrow. Kind of like he’s saying “Momma, I love you, please get these people out of mom house”

I’m having a party Friday
and I wanted some input.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Charmypoo, was Nibbler sick again? I know he had a bad fall several months ago and then they discovered a heart murmur, but his liver tests results were normal, right? Is this something new?

I'm well over 25 :D , but I just want to add my two cents. Charmypoo and Kodie's Mom bring up a very good point about the financial impact of having a dog. Most of yours are very young still, but as they age, this breed can rack up some serious vet bills, especially if they weren't from reputable breeders who did genetic screening.

My Lady has also cost me thousands in vet bills. Her monthly medications and diabetic supplies run about $150 alone.

I know most of you are paying tuition, car payments, etc., but it's very important to plan for those vet bills now. As Kodie's Mom says, trying to pay off $3,000 in vet bills with the high interest rates, can be a huge financial burden. If you can, start putting away some money now every month in a separate account so the money is there if you need it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
i'm 21 and got l.e. for my birthday just about 6 months ago. she was a gift from my then boyfriend and she acted as our little baby. at first it was all fun and games having her. my bf would help out and watch her if i had to work late or something and it didnt' seem all that stressful. then, when we broke up, it seemed a lot harder to "raise" a puppy. i was very upset that it was just me with her then.

but now looking back, all the nights that i cried because i wished she could just be potty trained and i didnt' have to pick up pee and poops, seem to just be silly. she is like a baby to me and i am so happy and thankful that i have her. i wouldn't trade her for the world. she just is so happy and perfect all the time that if i ever find myself in a bad mood, i snap right out of it as soon as i see her little face, or fluff butt!

my parents didn't want me to get a dog when i first got her and weren't all that crazy about her either back then. but now, they call themselves grandparents to her and call her their grand-puppy! it's so cute.

i find myself doing a lot of puppy-friendly activities now. i try to only go places where i can bring her or i leave her with my parents who adore her now. in fact, just this weekend i took her to lake tahoe with me to visit my boyfriend. he works at a nightclub on the weekends up there and we went to go see him dj. l.e. did great in the car for 3 hours and was angel at the house we stayed at. she even slept in with us until 2 pm which she NEVER does! i think that my training her now, so young, to get used to people and new environments will make it a lot easier in the future to take her places.

i love her so much and couldn't image my life without her.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
im 23 and i got sprite when i was 20 also!!

well, my mom doesnt work anymore, so she took care of sprite when i was at school. i didnt work either and i only had 3 classes that semester.

just remember to have patience, dont get mad at the dog---and be consistant.
teach your dad how you're teaching your dog so that the dog doesnt get confused.
sucks you have to crate your baby---but i know a bunch of people who have done it and dont regret it.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Originally posted by Brooks@Sep 12 2005, 11:41 AM
I’m technically 24. My Birthday was Aug 29th, the day the storm hit. Needless to say we didn't do too much celebrating. My twin sister and I decided our BD didn't count this year since we didn't get to spend it together and it won't until we do (she lived in New Orleans, evacuated to West Monroe, then left on a business trip for two week. We have one more week to go) So, I’m 23…but not really…

I have a question for the youngons…

Instead of going out every weekend, people come over to my house or we’ll go to our friends. I was just wondering how does your babies react to a house full off people?

It seems like Tucker is ok w/ it, but he may be a little scared. When I hold him he licks my face like there is no tomorrow. Kind of like he’s saying “Momma, I love you, please get these people out of mom house”

I’m having a party Friday 
  and I wanted some input.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98765
[/QUOTE]

I keep wanting to take Kylee to my friends houses but how do u go about hinting that you want them to say its ok for you to bring her? My friends are completely clueless about pets, none of them have them or have ever had them when they lived with their families so I dont think they know I want them to say its ok....and I think it would be rude to just ask if she can come over. Plus shes pee-pad trained but...do I bring a pee pad to my friends house? She doesnt know to hold it till she has a pee-pad to go on, she just knows to go on the pee-pad...if its not there she wont hesitate going on the floor. So i dont want to take her to my friends apts and have her potty all over their floor :eek: that would be horrifying. So what do u guys do about this?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts