Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll cut & paste it for those who are having trouble.

Dogs taken from illegal kennel

More than 300 removed from dirty, allegedly illegal facility.

By Kristopher Hanson
Staff writer

HAWAIIAN GARDENS — Animal control authorities removed more than 300 dogs and puppies Tuesday from a reportedly illegal kennel after receiving reports that many of the canines were sick and living in cramped and filthy conditions.
The dogs, some of them pregnant, were taken from Mingodell Kennels in the 12400 block of East Carson Street to area shelters and veterinary hospitals, depending on their condition.

"There were stacks of dogs stacked one cage on top of the other and many of them were sick, malnourished and needed immediate care," said Madeline Bernstein, president of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Los Angeles. "Most of them had been living in their own waste."

SPCALA officials worked with Los Angeles County Animal Control and the Southeast Area Animal Control Authority in serving a search warrant at the kennel early Tuesday following an investigation into animal cruelty at the site. The facility was operating without proper permits, Bernstein said.

The unidentified owner was not arrested, but charges may be pending. She was reportedly boarding dogs and selling puppies from the location for up to several hundred dollars each.

The animals, mostly small breeds that included pugs, miniature pinschers, Malteses, Lhasa Apsos, Pomeranians and Chihuahuas, were taken to facilities around the county depending on their physical shape.

Many were transported to the P.D. Pitchford Animal Companion Village in East Long Beach, where they were weighed, marked and checked for disease.

As officials were removing the dogs Tuesday afternoon, a man showed up carrying a dead puppy in his arms, which he said he had bought from the kennel before Christmas. The dog had apparently been sickly for the past few weeks.

"We believe there was distemper and other diseases being spread around at the kennel, and that may have contributed to many deaths," Bernstein said.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Jan 21 2005, 03:03 PM
I'll cut & paste it for those who are having trouble.

Dogs taken from illegal kennel

More than 300 removed from dirty, allegedly illegal facility.

By Kristopher Hanson
Staff writer

HAWAIIAN GARDENS — Animal control authorities removed more than 300 dogs and puppies Tuesday from a reportedly illegal kennel after receiving reports that many of the canines were sick and living in cramped and filthy conditions.
The dogs, some of them pregnant, were taken from Mingodell Kennels in the 12400 block of East Carson Street to area shelters and veterinary hospitals, depending on their condition.

"There were stacks of dogs stacked one cage on top of the other and many of them were sick, malnourished and needed immediate care," said Madeline Bernstein, president of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Los Angeles. "Most of them had been living in their own waste."

SPCALA officials worked with Los Angeles County Animal Control and the Southeast Area Animal Control Authority in serving a search warrant at the kennel early Tuesday following an investigation into animal cruelty at the site. The facility was operating without proper permits, Bernstein said.

The unidentified owner was not arrested, but charges may be pending. She was reportedly boarding dogs and selling puppies from the location for up to several hundred dollars each.

The animals, mostly small breeds that included pugs, miniature pinschers, Malteses, Lhasa Apsos, Pomeranians and Chihuahuas, were taken to facilities around the county depending on their physical shape.

Many were transported to the P.D. Pitchford Animal Companion Village in East Long Beach, where they were weighed, marked and checked for disease.

As officials were removing the dogs Tuesday afternoon, a man showed up carrying a dead puppy in his arms, which he said he had bought from the kennel before Christmas. The dog had apparently been sickly for the past few weeks.

"We believe there was distemper and other diseases being spread around at the kennel, and that may have contributed to many deaths," Bernstein said.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30718
[/QUOTE]
Those people are sick, so consumed by greed they abused defenseless babies.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
OH my gosh that is so so so sad!
That is just awful!!
Thank you for pasting it so those of us who couldnt see it for whatever reason were able to, Lady's Mom. Okay can someone please explain to me how come no arrests were made and why charges are just pending? They had a search warrent due to animal cruelity, and saw the living conditions with the stacks of them, their wastes, not to mention the disease.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
The article says "the facility was operating without the proper permits". That makes it sound as though this sort of thing does not occur with "proper permits"!

Hah! Don't we know better?!!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Apparently, many of the dogs are already up for adoption at the LA SPCA:

http://www.spcala.com/350puppies.html

It's a shame they weren't able to get them into a rescue and foster care for rehabilitation before adopting them out. Puppy mill dogs have so many issues to overcome and special needs, like another dog in the household. I hate to see any of them end up in the wrong situation after everything they've been through already.

They're listed on petfinder. So many sad faces. It breaks my heart.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I just have to sit here and shake my head...those poor dogs! I have a friend who does recues for bichons and it is just amazing what most of those dogs have gone through and what it takes to make them whole again. he and his wife are wonderful for what they do and for the second chance they give to those dogs. I hope that those dogs can go into foster...to learn to love and trust before they go to families that just don't know how to handle their problems and issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts