Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Phoeboesmom posted about maltese tail set before but didn't post back after talking with vet, so I'm reopening the question because:

Abbey's tail was as curly as a pig's tail when we first got her and now at almost 6 months it just looks like a hook in the air. It doesn't even touch her backside. Will this eventually correct itself? She has never injured it. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
I found this website, if you scroll down you'll see what the standard looks like and what faults look like... Hope this helps.

Maltese Standard

-c

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Lady doesn't have the proper tail, either. I believe it's called a "gay tail" when it doesn't curl up over their back. Lady is a pet shop/puppy mill dog and is no where close to the breed standard with her brownish nose, pink rimmed eye and 9 pound body, but she couldn't be more perfect to me!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Jun 13 2005, 10:28 AM
Lady doesn't have the proper tail, either. I believe it's called a "gay tail" when it doesn't curl up over their back. Lady is a pet shop/puppy mill dog and is no where close to the breed standard with her brownish nose, pink rimmed eye and 9 pound body, but she couldn't be more perfect to me!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72093
[/QUOTE]

Hey she sounds like Kallie with the pale nose and pink-rimmed eye and 9 pounds! But what sweeties they both are!!

EDIT: I just noticed how dark Kallie's nose is in the siggy photo... it is nowhere near that dark now.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Massimo has a little piggy tail, and I LOVE it. I think he has a little bit of a "roached" back too. But I think he's perfect.

-c

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, Thanks Carrie! Great information!!

I think Abbey's tail is the flag tail! I did love her pig tail and hated to see it change but oh well!!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
the pale nose is just from lack of sun...it isnt a fault...i asked the dermatologists at school about it. its normal...parkers is pale..just hates to be outside

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Lady is out in the sun a lot, so hers isn't a summer/winter nose. It is a darker brown in the summer, but she doesn't have the proper black points. Even her little foot pads are pinky-brown.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
I think some of the tail issues may just be our babies personality showing thru.
When Sassy gets excited, boy she stands at attention and looks like the PERFECT image of a little Maltese. But sometimes if she is doing what we call her "Ditty Bop" she just kinda bops around with her tail curled but not completely touching her back, and sometimes if she thinks she isn't going for a car ride and she knows the mommy is her tail may drag and train behind her on the floor. And too, she sometimes does what I call her hunting dog impression. You know the one, where she stretches her neck out and looks almost level from nose to tail. Like she is sniffing the ground for scents. I thought once that her back was not level because of the way she "bops" around. But I took her to a local judge who judges toy breeds in the big name dog shows. I told him that I do not show her but I just wanted an honest opinion. He checked her over good and said she is a great example of the Maltese, straight topline, good tail set, he checked everything. In fact, he talked me into showing her, which I only did one time because Sassy absolutely HATED :new_Eyecrazy: the ring. She actually won that day, she took a Best in Breed and a 1st Place.
But then we brought the ribbons home and said, well that was not much fun. So that was the end of Sassy's show career. Although I bought her from a show breeder as a show puppy....I actually bought her as a pet and never intended on showing her. Anyhoooooooo, maybe your baby is like Sassy and just get lazy with her tail from time to time.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Chloe has a flag tail and Sugar has a pig tail. When Sugar's tail is down I know she is either sick or has done something she thinks I won't approve of.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts