Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
That lady is out of her mind. If she can't afford to pay for a so called "tea cup", then she couldn't possibly afford all the medical bills that will come from this ill breeding. 500 bucks won't even get you a mutt these days. I saw a chi and malti mix and they were asking 800 bucks for it.

I thought about tea cup, too (paying full price, ofcourse) until I found out what they really do to get dogs that size and the issues they face later in life.

I have seen rescues ask for more than 500 for older malti's...forget puppy.

I see those ads on Craig's list all the time. Trust me, they will never get one.

I paid over 500 in supplies and vet visits for this pup. Let them adopt a cat, they are better off.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
OMG! It is so ridiculous it seems like one of those joke posts! I guess as the saying goes, "truth is stranger than fiction"!! :new_Eyecrazy:

"i have fallen in love with the breed and want the size of the tea cup. i would prefer a female so my daughter can experience "mother nature" one time before having her spayed." HOLY COW!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I guess I must repeat this once again....

Kodie is a prime example of this "teacup" BS craze that has struck our world. Just a reminder that kodie is the only one to survive his litter! His sister died at 6 months old... at 1lb and having MANY MANY health problems... including being mentally handicaped... the other pup died at birth... that puppy was extremely small i was told so it could not survive.

Kodie's breeders WANTED tiny dogs so... they bred a 2 1/2lb male and a 3 1/2lb female together! -_-

I know I say all this and you see the pictures of kodie... but you cant really see or feel just how tiny and fragile kodie is unless you see him in person. People are always in shock when they see kodie for the first time after seeing his pictures... hes smaller in person than what you see in pictures... and plus he has a short hair cut right now.. so you see every bone in his tiny body... I know there are a few other small babies on here... but i dont think they have a bone structure just like kodie... i saw other malteses that were about 4lb and kodie's own mother is 3 1/2lbs... and they ALL have a more SOLID bone structure than poor kodie.
and i'm NOT exaggerating at all. -_- His bones are so tiny and delicate... he doesnt have ANY fat on his body at all... at least i cant find any.. haha...to me.. i think he looks under fed... but every doctor tells he that hes fine.. its just the way he will always be. I baby him soo much with things because I am trying to avoid any problems... his skin is so thin he has a hard time healing from sutures (I'm sure some of you remember that experience... I had to keep going back to the surgen to have him look at his neutering...)...god knows he could probably blow out his knees if he jumps or goes up and down steps... so i dont allow any of that! You get the point... I could go on and on about all the things i do to make sure nothing happens to him. -_-

My point to all this is for new members that arent familiar with how bad this "teacup" craze really is... I would like to just inform them of what i have experienced.

I hate hearing people like this... after seeing the results of these people breeding such small puppies... its heart breaking. People come up to me ALL the time and want to know where i got kodie because they want one just like him.
It's okay to want a smaller dog but gosh... can we PLEASE breed healthy! As far as I know the standard for the smallest was around 4lbs. THATS SMALL! People are never happy.. they always want smaller and smaller.

sorry for going on and on... I just hate this topic... it always gets me upset to hear about it... I love my kodie to death and i couldnt image life without him but I do think that his parents should NOT have been bred... its irresponsible. -_-

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
According to what the breeder told me. Chulita's mother was 4 pounds and the Father 3 1/2. She estimated that Chulita would be 4 pounds fully grown. From what I have read....and it has not been much. A normal size Maltese is a little biggeer at full grown. Is that true? I think I read the standard size should be 6 pounds???????? I dont' know. Well Chulita is 3 pounds 7 onces right now at 4 months. I CANNOT see her not being bigger by the time she is fully grown. I would like for her to stay at 4 pounds but if not I DON'T CARE....as long as she is healthy!!! My Little Munchkin

This chick needs to save up a little more....though I have seen prices for a puppy maltese that can start at $500.00. These so called "teacups" go for much, much more. I paid a sh*t load of money for Chulita. I don't regret it and feel I got every pennies worth.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
According to what the breeder told me. Chulita's mother was 4 pounds and the Father 3 1/2. She estimated that Chulita would be 4 pounds fully grown. From what I have read....and it has not been much. A normal size Maltese is a little biggeer at full grown. Is that true? I think I read the standard size should be 6 pounds???????? I dont' know. Well Chulita is 3 pounds 7 onces right now at 4 months. I CANNOT see her not being bigger by the time she is fully grown. I would like for her to stay at 4 pounds but if not I DON'T CARE....as long as she is healthy!!! My Little Munchkin

This chick needs to save up a little more....though I have seen prices for a puppy maltese that can start at $500.00. These so called "teacups" go for much, much more. I paid a sh*t load of money for Chulita. I don't regret it and feel I got every pennies worth.[/B]
The standard calls for 4 to 6 pounds but some are small and some are bigger. I've seen some "teacup" ads and they say they will be 4-5lbs!
Umm...That would be within standard!

There is formula used to figure out the size of a full grown maltese, doesn't work all the time though. Take the weight at 12 weeks and double it. For males add a pound and for females at 1/2 pound. This didn't work for Lexi. Lexi was 2.5 lbs at 12 weeks and last time she was weighed she was 8.5lbs. So far for Nikki it is working. Nikki was a little over 2 lbs at 12 weeks. Right now (7.5 months old) she is around 4-4.5lbs.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
There a few people out there that only breed these so call tea cups. All though we say there are no such thing as a tea cup, some of the breeders have them. Which kodie would be referred to in there website because of his size and this is what is causing the hype.

People look at the small puppy and think he won't take up to much room and will be great for my small apartment, I can hide him in my purse and take him every were with me. He will need little to no exercise.
They are not aware of all the implications that come with getting a small size puppy.

How do I know this? I have been there myself with my first puppy... and as Kodies mom mentioned, It is not healthy for the puppy or you... you both end up with stress and horrible vet bills. My first puppy I got from a BYB and she suffered a lot. They did advertise her to be a teacup as well... she turned out to be 7 pounds of loving joy. She just kept growing and growing ... I thought something was wrong with her or maybe I over fed her, not being educated and all. I even thought maybe she was not a Maltese as she also had a half pink nose. They even had some reference in books as Maltese being tea cup/miniature. Just like the puddles. Regular 6-7 pounds and miniature 3-5. And this was the reference I went by when doing my searching. Please keep in mind this was a different time... internet has just stared so it was all news papers and word of mouth and our beloved pet store.

My girlfriend advised me not to get her from a pet store . There were only a few Maltese breeders in the news papers, I think two and only one had a female. I did not receive any information on my puppy only a vet paper indicating her first set of shots and her birth date. ( Warning sign 1) but i did not know anybetter at the time. Also I beleive they has multi - poos too. (Warning sign 2). They did not interview me. ( Warning signing three 3) Not even my vet educated me… maybe they were trying to spear my feelings.

When I first got her I know now, she was no were near 12 weeks.. not even 10... she had to be de-wormed twice. And three more sets of shots to go.
When I got Chelsey at 10 weeks only because we already had Chester to socialize her with. We did not have to do any de-worming and she only needed one set of shots.

My first puppy was so small she was a little bigger then my hand. I'm a petit person.. so that gives you and idea, I could walk around with her on my shoulder and she would not fall off. I could hide her in my pocket and to in to the stores. That how small they gave her to me. My poor puppy suffered from White dog syndrome./ Shakers. And yes 10 years ago I only paid 500.00 dollars for her .. that was an arm and a leg being a student with 800 a month rent.

There are a lot of people advertising out there that tea-cup Maltese exist. So when we say there is no such thing as a tea cup lets keep in mind of the new comers to the site and give them some education and information as to why we say that.
I wish this site was around when I got my first puppy…

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Since Bella is the only Maltese I have ever seen in person....I can't even imagine ones as tiny as you all are talking about in this thread. Thank you to the posters with tinys for being forthcoming about the issues you have had with your angels.
It is the only way the public can LEARN and do better by these sweeties that we all love so much. Bella is on the largest size of the standard and my husband and I feel she is healthier for it....and I still fret over her being small.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
At what age are they"fully grown" 1 year?[/B]
It is different for each dog. You can ask your breeder when her line is usually done. Some dogs can stop growning at 6-8months old and some grow until they are 2 years old. There is no set answer.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I would say 1 year give or take. Sometimes they have grow spurts just like children... when I first go chelsey she was 2.4 pounds and then at 6 months she was 5 pounds. She is now one year she is 7 pound. she may still grow some more. My first maltese as 7 pounds too but more on the slender side. Chelsey is more cubby to me. chester our yorkie is also 7 ponds and finshed growing at 1 year. he is also on the slender side. If you put them together he looks smaller then her, but he just has longer legs

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I would say 1 year give or take. Sometimes they have grow spurts just like children... when I first go chelsey she was 2.4 pounds and then at 6 months she was 5 pounds. She is now one year she is 7 pound. she may still grow some more. My first maltese as 7 pounds too but more on the slender side. Chelsey is more cubby to me. chester our yorkie is also 7 ponds and finshed growing at 1 year. he is also on the slender side. If you put them together he looks smaller then her, but he just has longer legs
[/B]
That's almost exactly what Catcher's stats are... he was 2.8 pounds at 11 weeks and a little over 5 pounds at 6 months and now he is 7.2 at a year and a half.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Just remember that there are some five and six pound parents who produce the smaller ones. I have that situation here now. Liz is 2 3/4 pounds. Her sire is 4 1/2 pounds, and her dam is six pounds. I would love for her to grow to five pounds, but it just isn't going to happen. My Dee Dee is 3 3/4 pounds at almost four years, and both her parents were at least five. Her sire is a beautiful champion who has produced a number of other champions, all normal size. I won't sell my Liz, but I also won't repeat the breeding of the parents because I don't want another one this small.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
[/B]
That's almost exactly what Catcher's stats are... he was 2.8 pounds at 11 weeks and a little over 5 pounds at 6 months and now he is 7.2 at a year and a half.
[/B]
lol That is so funny. I wish I had gotten papers for chelsey now. So I could see who she was related to here.
she has a cotton coat too. Very fluffy
I love it .. just not at bath time... it takes so long to dry.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
lol That is so funny. I wish I had gotten papers for chelsey now. So I could see who she was related to here.
I love it .. just not at bath time... it takes so long to dry.[/B]
You can get her pedigree without papers from the AKC. I believe it is about $15 or so. What I did is get the pedigree for Catcher's parents who were registered, even though I never bothered sending in the papers for him.... a total waste of money since he isn't going to be bred or shown.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I love it .. just not at bath time... it takes so long to dry.[/B]
You can get her pedigree without papers from the AKC. I believe it is about $15 or so. What I did is get the pedigree for Catcher's parents who were registered, even though I never bothered sending in the papers for him.... a total waste of money since he isn't going to be bred or shown.

[/B]
Thanks , I PM'd you

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.