Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a maltese called Dolly, she passed away at the age of 16 and a half. I really want another female maltese preferably a teacup one but I am struggling to find any. Does anyone know any breeders of maltese dogs?

Many thanks,
Melissa

·
Super Moderator
9,668 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Breeders that advertise pups as teacups are not responsible breeders. We have a member here, Orla, who is from Ireland, if she sees your post she may have recommendations for you. Good luck.

Reactions: Abella's Mommy

·
Premium Member
17,448 Posts
Walter is correct! & Orla is a great person for advice since she is on the ground. Wishing you all the best of looking, falling in love & coming back to share w/us what you learn. We are here---a maltese family of friends who care deeply that owner & pup are properly placed.

Reactions: Abella's Mommy

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Hi, as already said, anyone breeding "teacup" maltese is a bad breeder.

I am a little out of the loop, so I'm not sure who is and isn't still breeding, but Khanthav maltese are in Northern Ireland and have very nice dogs. khanthavmaltese
Even if they're not breeding, they should be able to point you in the right direction!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Orla for your help. Dolly was smaller than the average size of a maltese but my brother was told not to breed her by the woman he bought her off as she was so small, so we never did. I always just thought she was the teacup size as she was so small but that is probably why we were told not to breed her, it makes sense now. Thanks for all of your help, I really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Mellisa,
I'm so sorry for your loss of Dolly.
I Cant help you find a "responsible" breeder in Ireland but I wanted to give you a big SM welcome.
I'm very happy you are here and seeking advise and that we can be part of your journey to find the perfect maltese addition to your family. Please keep us updated.
🐶 🐾🌻

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks Orla for your help. Dolly was smaller than the average size of a maltese but my brother was told not to breed her by the woman he bought her off as she was so small, so we never did. I always just thought she was the teacup size as she was so small but that is probably why we were told not to breed her, it makes sense now. Thanks for all of your help, I really appreciate it.
Teacup is not a recognized category and breeders that strive for it often have unhealthy dogs as they breed the runts that have health problems and try to breed down in size too quickly. But for Maltese the breed standard is so small that normal specimens of the breed would qualify as what is traditionally defined as "teacup". I think it may be a larger standard abroad, and I can't recommend a good breeder in Ireland, but there are healthy Maltese in the U.S. that are 4 lbs or high 3s and some even smaller.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts