Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to make an appointment very soon for Sugarplum to have her teeth cleaned. I’m trying to prepare myself for all types of scenarios for whatever the outcome is afterwards. Most of her teeth are intact, but her breath stinks to high heaven and she has probably never had any type of dental care during her five years on this earth, so she needs a cleaning, it’s got to be done. In the event that she needs multiple extractions, does anyone have a Maltese with very few teeth? If so, what types of issues arose (if any) afterwards and did any of them have a negative lasting impact?

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Our Chrissy who is 12 years old has only about 5-7 teeth left and is doing very well as far as eating is concerned. And yes, bad breath is surely a sign of something gone in her mouth and a visit to her Vet would be advised.

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
Maltese are known to have teeth issues.
I'm so glad you are going to have Sugarplum's teeth cleaned and checked - Very important maintenance. Abella is 7 years old and I brush her teeth daily and she gets them cleaned yearly - Even with this regular maintenance she has had four front teeth removed. :crying:

Even without these teeth she gobbles down her dry kibble and favorite snacks - pieces of apple and carrot.:eek:k:

"Life is Good - Life with a Maltese is Better!"

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you. She doesn’t like her face touched at all and she resists and fights me when I’ve attempted to just to even LOOK at her teeth. I’ve included a pic from last week when my BF was over; I needed help holding her down but I WAS able to get somewhat of a look at some of her teeth. I’ve used a pet breath freshener additive to both hers and my cat’s water. It has nearly eliminated my cat’s halitosis, but it has only alleviated Sugarplum’s somewhat.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,175 Posts
Sweetness had multiple extractions over the years and is now toothless. The only odd thing is her tongue hangs out all the time so she always looks a little tipsy! She does fine with eating and has no issues.

·
Premium Member
17,463 Posts
Brace yourself that she will probably need those extractions (more than you think) as maltese do not usually have the best of teeth. Both of mine have lost a couple & I expect them to loose more---soon. As the others have said, I is not usually an issue & they feel so much better when they are out. Also bad teeth can cause serious heart issues so the sooner the better.
Kitzi's tongue will probably be hanging out soon, but it will only make him cuter!

·
Premium Member
24,175 Posts
Like everyone else has said small breed dogs seem to have a lot of dental issues
I brush my girls teeth daily, I have their teeth cleaned yearly, my Maddie will be 9 in June, she is small and has a very small mouth, so I take her for dental checks every 6 months now, she has lost many teeth, :smcry:
This last dental our vet said she had bone loss, they are trying to keep as many teeth as possible, I worry that next dental she will have more pulled :blush:
I dread the day her little tongue will stick out, but I want the best for her.
I'm so glad you're having Sugarplum checked.

My Geneva will be 7 in February, she has never lost a tooth, our vet said he was very surprised, she does have bigger mouth so it's much easier to brush, I use a emmi -dent ultrasonic tooth brush on her, she doesn't mind it and I am amazed at the food particles I get from the brush when I rinse it out
Best tooth brush around in my eyes

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yes I’m highly anticipating she will have to have some teeth extracted; hopefully less than more. I’ve also heard that Maltese, as well as other small breed and toy breed dogs are prone to dental problems, particularly orthodontic-type problems because they still have the same number of adult teeth in their mouths as all other dogs, but because of the much smaller size of their mouths and jaws, their teeth are more likely to become misaligned as a result . My former neighbor has a chihuahua Pomeranian mix with significant issues. And Sandi one of my pet cats I had when I grew up lost all of his bottom teeth eventually and by the time he was about 12 or 13 his tongue hung halfway out of his mouth too!

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
My Cassie is completely toothless. She has no problem eating but I feed her canned food now. She used to eat kibble. Her tongue does not hang out and all of the tear staining she used to have is gone. I cried when she lost all of her teeth but it doesn't seem to bother her all.

·
Premium Member
17,463 Posts
My Cassie is completely toothless. She has no problem eating but I feed her canned food now. She used to eat kibble. Her tongue does not hang out and all of the tear staining she used to have is gone. I cried when she lost all of her teeth but it doesn't seem to bother her all.
Reva, if I were there I would cry w/you! Much love my friend!:wub:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts