Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not know why Vanilla's nose is not completely black anymore. It looks like she has some bergundy faded areas. She used to have a very black wet nose but now it looks faded and dry. Anyone know why?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I hear that a malt has to be out in the sun for some unspecified amount of time to maintain the black nose. Just get her a little bikini and let her sunbathe in style for a little while each day. :)I think this may help...

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
shiloh had this problem a while ago ,give your dog a pinch of the seaweed spirlinika daily it helps [SPL?] Works .

·
Registered
361 Posts
I do not know why Vanilla's nose is not completely black anymore. It looks like she has some bergundy faded areas. She used to have a very black wet nose but now it looks faded and dry. Anyone know why?
what a coincidence!!... I'm having the same problem with my baby... As Jayne said, I've heard it has to do with the sun... I'l try with the seaweed spirlinika too!

THANKS

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
spelling mistake sorry ...Spirulina .is the correct spelling .
please keep me up dated if it works for you .

·
Registered
361 Posts
spelling mistake sorry ...Spirulina .is the correct spelling .
please keep me up dated if it works for you .
OK, that makes more sense!!... I'll try to find the spiruline and will tell you how it worked...

@Rocky's Mom & Nikki's Mom: THANKS! I know sunshine will help :thumbsup: She loves the sun!, but these days are very cold and dark over here, not very sunny ;)

THANKS AGAIN!!!

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
It's important that maltese have good nutritional balance. That means vitamins and minerals. I've given
Solid Gold Sea Meal for years. It has a lot of minerals that aren't always in the everyday diet. Kelp
is a good source too although I think I prefer the Sea Meal for overall good health.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
you've gotten some great answers here. Me, I have a malt with a 1/2 black, 1/2 pink nose that turns almost all black in the summer (pink part can get pretty dark brown so it looks black) - it's just a quirk of his that makes him even cuter. Ask 3MaltMom - she LOVES his nose :)

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
If you do a search for Solid Gold Sea Meal you will find places that carry it or you can order it online.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I add kelp granules to Nikki's food batches for minerals/iodine. I find the Kelp shaker bottles at Whole Foods in the Asian section. It's kelp harvested from Maine.

·
Registered
361 Posts
... "rosey nosey" :biggrin::biggrin: ... I think that's what's happening with my baby, in a couple of weeks winter will start over here, so is not so sunny anymore...

·
Registered
118 Posts
so a follow up question, did being in the sun or using kelp in his food work?

My dog's nose is half light brownish pink on the top and I got her dog suntan spray so it wouldn't get sunburned,

I will go to WholeFoods and get the kelp someone mentioned too, if necessary. I heard that when some breeders show their dogs they actually blacken the nose during competition.

My Doolittle is not a show dog, but rides a motorcycle with her head resting out of the side carrier allot.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm just repeating what I've heard from Poodle people but most knowlegeable people say it's just bad pigment. Supplements (kelp and vitamin D) and sun can help but it usually get's worse as they age. Bailey's nose is pretty light now, but he's an 11yr old, neutered rescue and it doesn't bother me at all.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
a few days of sun will help - we dont get a lot of it here in scotland and floees nose is quite pink. We have been really lucky the pastfew weeks and shes been out playing in the sun lots and her little nose it mostly black again now

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I'm just repeating what I've heard from Poodle people but most knowlegeable people say it's just bad pigment. Supplements (kelp and vitamin D) and sun can help but it usually get's worse as they age. Bailey's nose is pretty light now, but he's an 11yr old, neutered rescue and it doesn't bother me at all.
Is it still bad pigment if it was coal black to begin with and then faded over time? Or is that just lack of sunshine/certain minerals/vitamins?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts