Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man Allegedly Demands Ransom for Pooch

BOSTON - A man whose truck was stolen with his 11-week-old puppy inside said the thief threatened to kill his pet unless he paid a $500 ransom. Instead, the dog owner brought the police along to the planned rendezvous, and a suspect was arrested.

Timothy Connors, 30, left the keys in his pickup truck, with the dog inside, when he stepped into a convenience store Monday. That's when Michael Cyr allegedly stole the truck and Dakota, a two-pound Pomeranian-Maltese mix.

After discovering the truck was gone, Connors called his cell phone, which he had left inside the vehicle. He said Cyr answered and demanded $500, threatening to kill the dog if police got involved.

Connors eventually agreed to meet the suspect at Boston's Downtown Crossing shopping district. He put $43 in an envelope — padding it with napkins to make it look like $500.

Cyr did not count the money before handing over the keys to the truck and fleeing, authorities said. Police, who had staked out the area, arrested him nearby after a struggle.

Cyr, 43, was ordered held on $500 bail Tuesday at his arraignment in Boston Municipal Court. He faces charges including extortion and receiving a stolen vehicle.

The dog was unharmed and Connors came away with a lesson.

"I wouldn't leave Dakota alone ever again, not even for 20 seconds," he said.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I saw that on the news last night. It sucks because I live so close to where it happened. I guess I was right to be soooo paranoid about my pups! I even pay for gas with a credit card so I don't have to leave them alone in the car. My cars all have crazy security systems because they are very popular for theives around here and my daddy is paranoid about me. I'm just glad that little Dakota is okay. He's such a cute dog. I got confused because he's all black and the news reporter said it was a malt.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I remember around here at christmas time a lot of people got their puppies stolen. It was awful there was a lady on the news crying about the the robber could keep all the presents they stole she just wants her dog back, I think that one was a 6 year old maltese. Whenever I leave Sunny at home I lock up everything and set the alarm, normally I dont lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts