Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My seven month old Pochi has started marking. He just lifted his leg at the corners of my beds in both rooms. I know that many of you will say that the best option is to neuter. but I'm not going to neuter him. I would like the advices of those of you that has not neutered your dogs. I do think there should be something I can do to correct this behavior. Thanks and will really appreciate your anwers.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Yes, you can deal with it behaviorally, but you will have to be committed.

1. Start from scratch on house training. That means you take away all of his freedom unless it is directly supervised by you. You have to be there and praise him for urinating in the appropriate place. Put him on a schedule.

2. Clean the places he went with an enzymatic cleaner (Nature's Miracle, Simple Solutions).

3. Keep either leashed or actively supervised for at least 4 weeks. With adult dogs who mark, we usually don't even think about offering freedom for 6-8 weeks. The idea is to break the habit.

4. A belly band can help prevent the behavior from making a mess, but it is a bandaid. If you are happy with that, go for it. Otherwise you can use it as a training aid, but it is still necessary to restrict him.

If I catch them the very first time they do it, I correct them. If they've been doing it, I wouldn't bother as it is unlikely to impact the behavior.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts