Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmm, I'm sorry I can't help, but I wonder if my babies have these problems.

Many XOXO's to lil Marshmallow!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I am very curious to know what symptoms Marshmellow had around the eyes. Sadie has a smell around her eyes like stinky cheese. I can't decide if it is yeast or something else, but the vet doesn't seem too worried. I'm seriously thinking about taking her to someone else. I'd really like to hear about your situation.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know the eye boogers you get? Imagine a big, red chunk of that! That's what Cloud has.

Mee said ever since she fed her baby the original Natural balance, Jong-ee has been getting tear staining again. I'm going to get the either Duck or Venison formula next. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Marshy's mom took him to the vet today because of his severe tear staining.  She found out that he has a fungus on his foot that spread to his eyes and his ears from scratching.  The vet says that there are two kinds on Marshy:

malassezia pachydermatis (the first word he guessed at spelling)

and

candida glabrata (the first word I guessed at spelling)

Here is a good site for information, about 3/4 of the way down the page there are a few articles on yeast/fungus infections. I am in no way advocating any particular type of food, just sharing what I have found to be a useful site. Hope this helps you in some small way....and sure hope Marshmellow isbetter soon!

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles.htm

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
My experience with fungus/yeast is from my first Maltese, Rosebud. I do not know if the type of fungus/yeast is the same combo that Marshy has. If I recall correctly, my vet did not give her any oral medicine but rather gave her a "soak". It was medicine that I would soak her foot in for a few minutes a few times a day for a couple weeks. It eventually did clear up. Her's was only on a couple feet... not in her eyes, though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, all. I'm Marshy's mom. For those asking about his symptoms, his eyes started tearing a lot more than usual and staining his face a reddish color back in Jan. -- about the time I took a job when that involved longer periods of time away from home. Up until this week, he has shown no signs whatsoever of discomfort or of any serious problems. Caught him rubbing his little eyes last night and that's why I took him to the vet this morning.

Well, the vet pointed to about a 1/16 of an inch of brown discoloration at the base of his front toenails and said that it was a fungus and that it had spread to his eyes and his ears. His ears, by the way, are apparently pinker than they should be.

I have no idea what the possible consequences of these infections are. ... I was too upset to even get the names. (Thanks to Noodle and Cookie's mom for going back in this afternoon and asking more questions.) But we left with a bottle of eyedrops he's supposed to get twice daily, a week's worth of some supposedly super antibiotic that the vet said could cause stomach and/or liver problems, and a bottle or antiseptic spray that I'm supposed to use to wash down everything he's come in contact with.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
sometimes Kodie rubs his eyes too when he tears A LOT after running or whenever. When he was little they told me he had a slight infection right under his eyes.. because he had all these scabs there. Anyone's baby rub their eyes when there are a lot of fresh tears on their face?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Feb 4 2005, 09:14 AM
sometimes Kodie rubs his eyes too when he tears A LOT after running or whenever.  When he was little they told me he had a slight infection right under his eyes.. because he had all these scabs there.  Anyone's baby rub their eyes when there are a lot of fresh tears on their face?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33327
[/QUOTE]
Peanut does that too. I figured he was trying to get his hair out of his eyes. Peanut did get a minor eye infection before too. I think I got Tobramycin eye drops from the vet. The infection is long gone, but he always rubs his eyes.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Fantasia rubs her eyes too but I always figure it's because of all her hair around her eyes. She doesn't get much of a tear staining, just the eye boogers. She also chews her toe nails. My old vet didn't seem to care when I told her. I think I will bring it up to my new vet in a couple months when Fantasia has he anual check up.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Here is a formula for hot spots on dogs. I don't know if it works for fungus but it would not hurt to try.

1/3 Listerine (original), 1/3 baby oil and 1/3 water.

You can also add 2 ounces of original Listerine to a gallon of water for cut flowers. They will last longer. The acidic, antifungal and anti-bacterial properties of the mouthwash are probably responsible for this action.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
both of those yeast are normal flora of the skin (meaning they are always there) but in some animals in some conditions, the yeast will grow more than normal. like if u give them a moist environment. that is why they seem to appear around the eyes, ears, genitalia and feet (if being licked etc). also immune diseases can cause them to grow, or drugs decreasing the immune system like corticosteroids. and if this is the case they will be more spread out.
Its kind of funny you asked about malassezia b/c i had never heard of it until vetschool...and the first week of my first year they gave group projects and my group had to research this yeast and give a presentation on it. so now i feel like an expert (hehe not really). seems like ever since the project, i hear it all the time now

·
Registered
249 Posts
I am suspecting the same thing of Harley. He chews at his feet alot & does have alot of red around his eyes & his staining is red also.Hmmmm.... should I check this with the vet?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
here is a good article...might be a little technical but some i'm sure all can understand: http://www.rottweilerhealth.org/pdfs/augus...a_paters_02.pdf
there are some pics w/ bad infections in the article.

to me once the yeast is under control, the cause should be investigated. w/o treating the cause, the yeast will flare up again.

I am suspecting the same thing of Harley. He chews at his feet alot & does have alot of red around his eyes & his staining is red also.Hmmmm.... should I check this with the vet?[/B]
sound like allergies...either food or from contact with something...if he is really itchy, yes bring him in, but it is not an emergency.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I wonder if Marshy's mom uses cornstarch on Marshy.. There is some evidence that it can cause fungus to grow... I thought I had heard about it from "The People's Pharmacy" radio show on NPR. I wrote them and Teresa Graedon wrote this in reply:

"I don't remember the comment but there has been concern that cornstarch (damp cornstarch, anyway) might be an ideal medium for fungus."

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Feb 5 2005, 09:18 AM
I wonder if Marshy's mom uses cornstarch on Marshy.. There is some evidence that it can cause fungus to grow... I thought I had heard about it from "The People's Pharmacy" radio show on NPR. I wrote them and Teresa Graedon wrote this in reply:

"I don't remember the comment but there has been concern that cornstarch (damp cornstarch, anyway) might be an ideal medium for fungus."
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33586
[/QUOTE]
yes they feed on cornstarch and flour...kinda a double edge sword..trying to dry the area, but u feed the little buggars. talc based powders are better to prevent yeast.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Diluted the way it is, Listerine will not burn. Even pure it does not burn on skin. It's not burning any more then vinegar. I use it straith as mouthwash and it does not bother me. The little stinging is what kills the germs.
Chewing of the feet is a sign of allergies a lot of times.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Lol DMZ if you get dizzy just from smell that's another story. I have a nephew and he cannot stand the smell of alcohol in cakes or cookies or pies. So I know what you mean. But Noodle or Cookie won't get drunk from licking that diluted solution on the hair of the feeth. Even better would be to dry the feet or put a bandage around them until they are dry. I put pure listerine once on one of Alex's paws with a cotton ball, he did not lick on it. Maybe he got put off by the smell.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts