Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure that Tiff has a cutaneous mast cell tumor so we're going to our vet tomorrow, though she otherwise seems healthy. I've read plenty about it... I'm just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with MCT in their dogs?

Mastocytoma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In case it's relevant or anyone is curious, Tiff's tumor looks exactly like the one in the first picture in the wikipedia link above, except that it's near the base of her tail/spine/back and probably smaller. It showed up about the size of a pea at first. I passed it off as a reaction to a bite at first and didn't worry. It either shrunk a little or stayed the same size, but a few days ago I noticed that it had started to rapidly grow again and now it seems to have stopped again... about 3x the mass it was before. It's in the skin and not attached to the spine or any bone or other tissue (though it's very close to the spine).

Also looking for input on vaccinating under the circumstances... I believe Tiff has gone 2 years without shots so I was thinking I should get titres done, but then if her immunity is low for everything, wouldn't vaccinating be a bad idea anyway if she potentially has cancer (and I'm assuming a compromised immune system as a result)? If my vet suggests updating her shots... or at least rabies... in my shoes, would you insist on not vaccinating until after diagnosis, surgery and recovery or would you go along with it?

I used to feel that they were very mildly pushy about yearly vaccinations at my clinic, but their website indicates that they're eager to set up a vaccination schedule tailored to your dog rather than automatically vaccinating everything yearly. So I may be worrying about nothing... but I'd like to feel prepared for everything before I go in.

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
My daughter's Scottie was diagnosed with cancer. Her vet recommended she stop all vaccines including rabies. The Scottie went on to live another 7 years without treatment for the cancer and without vaccines. I'm not sure what type of cancer the Scottie had, but she did have some tumors removed.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Reva. My vet said not to worry about vaccinations for now too. :)

Surgery is scheduled for Tuesday and I expect Tiff to do okay since she seems healthy otherwise and it should be a relatively quick surgery.

Poor thing was pretty anxious at the vet's yesterday even though our vet is really sweet and gentle. I'm going to hate leaving her there for the day, but it's obviously for the best.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
So sorry to hear about TIff. Sending prayers for her surgery and becoming cancer free -- glad to hear she's in such great shape going into surgery. Please let us know how she does.:grouphug:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts