Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow so much has happened the last few days, I hardly know where to start. We noticed Matilda seemed to be favoring her right back leg, when I would go to take her on walks she would go out and do her duty, then she would turn and head for the RV. Not like her at all. Usually on our walks she is so busy meeting people and sniffing other dogs. Yesterday she would not even use her leg, so we went to see a vet that we use while in Yuma, the vet checked her right back leg and said it seemed ok, then he ask us if we thought it had gotten worse, we told him we had noticed that it had. He suggested x'rays, he said he would have to put her under so he would also pull the two baby teeth that had not fallen out, so she spent most of the day there. It drove me crazy not having her with me. We went to pick her up and look at the x"rays, the doctor told us she has Perthes Disease in her hip area. He said it had gotten pretty bad fast, and he felt like she should have surgery. Talk about surprising us, I wanted to cry as her explained the whole thing to us. My husband ask when she could have surgery, and the vet said tomorrow. I feel like I am in a bad dream, I don't want her to suffer. but I can't believe this has happened. Have any of you heard of Perthes Disease? I hope someone can give me some advise. I feel like crying.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
o poor baby..so ur vet is doing the surgery? the full name is Legg-Calve-Perthes disease is u want to look it up...also known as avascular necrosis of the femoral head. the good thing is less than 20% of dogs get it on both legs.
Aseptic necrosis of the femoral head is a spontaneous degeneration of the femoral head and neck resulting in collapse of the coxofemoral joint and degenerative joint disease. The exact cause is not known and a specific vascular lesion has not been found. However histopathology suggests infarction of the blood vessels to the femoral head.

The disease is most often diagnosed in toy, terrier, and other small breeds of dogs weighing less than 12 kg. Clinical signs are usually unilateral and consist of progressive rear limb lameness. Bilateral involvement is reported in only 12 to 16.5 % of the cases. Pain can usually be elicited on palpation of the hip joint, especially abduction. The thigh muscles are usually atrophied. The diagnosis is based on serial radiographs of the hip joint demonstrating progressive coxofemoral joint degeneration. Initially radiographic changes include flattening of the dorsal aspect of the femoral head with lucencies in the subchrondral bone. Progression results in a deformed femoral head and degenerative joint disease.

The best recommended treatment consists of a femoral head and neck osteotomy primarily to allow the dog to resume normal, pain-free activity.[/B]
i know thats kinda technical but if there is something specific u want to know let me know. feel free to pm me also.

i hope all goes well with surgery..u and matilda will be in our thoughts

i would also let ur breeder know that this has happened and she should no longer breed her parents

·
Premium Member
24,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am just so sad, I would never have thought something like this could happen, she seems so happy. Just the thought of her in pain breaks my heart.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about Matilda! We're sending lots of hugs and kisses to Matilda
We'll keep you all in our thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Oh, I know you are hurting.... I remember how I felt with my first Maltese, Rosebud, when she had various surgeries. It hurts us so much. Hang in there... thank goodness she is getting it over and done with now and will be on the road to recovery. You are a good mommy to have taken her to the vet so quickly. I hope and pray that everything goes well for her..... and you!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Awww, I'm so sorry to hear that you're all going through this.
Poor little Matilda... It's so scary when they are ill.
We'll be sending positive energy your way.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about Matilda
I hope all goes well with the surgery and I will be thinking of you and your precious little Matilda

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Scooby and I send lots of big
to Matilda. I am so sorry to hear about her problem and I do hope the surgery goes very well for her. You will both be in our thoughts and prayers

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that! I feel so bad....my thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I am so very sorry to hear that this condition has come up so quickly. I am thankful that there is a treatment and I just know that Matlida will have a very quick recovery. Please keep us posted. I'll be watching for news....

·
Registered
776 Posts

I am so sorry to hear this news. I hope the surgery goes well and Matilda is soon back to her happy, painfree self again

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that Matilda has to have this surgery. Glad that they can get you in for surgery right away. We will be praying for a speedy recovery for your little one. Please let us know how it is going, I know you must be very apprehensive but I'm sure she will do just fine. Glad you got her in to the vet's right away. She didn't have to go thru much unnecessary pain because you are such a good Mommy!. Take care and keep us posted.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about the surgery. Just be thankful you caught it in time before it became soemthing worse. Toby and I will be thinking of you and Matilda tomorrow. Toby sends Matilda lots of wet kisses!

·
Premium Member
24,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone, I gave Matilda a bath tonight who knows how long before she has another. I played tug a war with her for sometime, and now she is limping bad. It just kills me to see her limping
Tomorrow will be a big day for her and us, we have to have her at the vets by 8:00. Poor baby can't have anything to eat, so she will be hungry. I will let you all know how things go tomorrow. Good night

1 - 20 of 66 Posts