Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dolce gets terrible mats from her harness, and it's a nightmare trying to get them out every day. Sometimes I just cut the mats out, because I can't get them out any other way. I use the Ice on Ice and the Bless the Beasts fur polish pomade, and I brush her every day but nothing does any good.

Is there anything I can do to prevent matting? She is in a 1" puppy cut already--does it need to be even shorter? I don't want to walk her in a collar and risk damaging her trachea. Any ideas for preventing the mats?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Do you use the clothing-like vest harnesses or the nylon harnesses? I have several people order satin lined harness vests from me to help prevent mats. I'm not sure if that would help or not, just an idea.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I have wondered this as well, and have come across many types of harnesses that I thought might be *better*...but I dont have a lot of money to experiment on these types of things at the moment...
Buttercup uses only nylon harnesses at the time being. She does have a pink leathery/suede one she recently got, but it doesn't seem to fit very well...
I love her crystal-decroated harness from Fox & Hounds (the Gracie harness, I think) and had been after them for months trying to get a plain harness of the exact same style, to no avail. Then I found it at Petco for $6. It's just a plain nylon webbing harness with a buckle under the belly. Love it! Bought several and have decorated them with flowers, buttons, rhinestones, etc.

I've been wondering about the mesh harnesses as well. I saw some Cavaliers at Petsmart this weekend with them, and I love them (the harnesses, not that I dont love Cavaliers though!). They're made by Puppia, and I found them online for $19.99.
Puppia Mesh Harness

Has anyone used these? How are they in regards to matting? The Cavalier owner said it was the only harness he'd use for his dogs because his two were "pullers" on walks, and it was the safest for that, he felt. He said only one of his dogs mats with them, but it is the one that also rolls around on anything stinky on the ground, so that *helps* I'm sure LOL

ann marie and the "she talks a lot...and says very little when she's had no diet coke yet today" buttercup

1 - 3 of 3 Posts