Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
7,310 Posts
Hi, Bellas Mummy! I love Bella's name.

I always use a PetSilk's leave-in-conditioner when I am brushing/combing lexi. When I can get Lexi to sit still long enough this is what I also use to work on the matts. I just spray a lot on the mat and let it sit for 30 seconds or so and then try to work the mat out with my fingers. Usually though Lexi does not sit still long enough for me to work it out so I ended up cutting them out using a small cuticul scissors.

· Registered
7,310 Posts
I know exactly what you mean about them getting in a huff! Lexi can only put up with it for so long. It is usually just an I find a mat she decides enough is enough and walks away. I had wanted to keep her in a longer puppy cut but after having a really bad experience (Lexi was mad and I was getting mad at her for not sitting still :D) I decided to get her hair cut short and to start over. I have now decided to give up on the longer cut. The short puppy cut is SO much easier. I am thinking though of giving the long cut another chance this fall/winter. It is just too hot right now. Plus Lexi is something of a Tom Boy, everytime we go outside she rolls in something.

So far I have not had any problems with the PetSilk drying out Lexi's coat. I use the moisturizing shampoo & rinse, the leave-in-conditioner and the oil stuff you put on after the bath. I give Lexi a bath every 1-2 weeks. I also have the whitening shampoo which I only use about every 4 baths. Hmm? I will have to keep an eye on Lexi's coat and make sure it does not get to dry. I think on thing that helps is that after putting the moisturizing rinse on you are supposed to leave it on for 5 minutes. Lexi usually only lets me leave it on for 3-5 minutes. But I have noticed that it does help to leave it in longer.

It would definitatly me a shame if you have to cut all of Bella's hair. You could maybe try to cut into the mat and see if that helps. Or just but the mat out if it is not too big.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.