Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading advice on matting & have ordered some Ice on Ice for Harley - it hasn't arrived yet though. The problem is, yesterday because it was cold here, I put his jumper on & left it on for most of the day (which I have since found out is a big no-no because of knots & matting!) - well, now we have huge matts!

Can anyone suggest a home-made remedy to use for a short term fix until my Ice on Ice order arrives? I was thinking about diluting some of his conditioner (his, not mine!) and spraying that on - but the last thing I want to do is make it worse!

Any suggestions? It's too late here now to go out to the pet store for supplies so I will need to make do with what I have. I can always wait until tomorrow & go to the pet store, but these matts are only going to get worse!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Originally posted by HarleysMum@Jul 9 2005, 02:03 AM
I have been reading advice on matting & have ordered some Ice on Ice for Harley - it hasn't arrived yet though. The problem is, yesterday because it was cold here, I put his jumper on & left it on for most of the day (which I have since found out is a big no-no because of knots & matting!) - well, now we have huge matts!

Can anyone suggest a home-made remedy to use for a short term fix until my Ice on Ice order arrives?  I was thinking about diluting some of his conditioner (his, not mine!) and spraying that on - but the last thing I want to do is make it worse!

Any suggestions?  It's too late here now to go out to the pet store for supplies so I will need to make do with what I have.  I can always wait until tomorrow & go to the pet store, but these matts are only going to get worse!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=79736
[/QUOTE]
I think the conditioner is a great trick what ever you do dont give him a bath. They make them a million times worse. rub the conditioner in and just take it a little at a time. I have have had to use scissors to split them. Prissy has had big mats. she is very good about letting me brush her for hours at a time if needed. Just give him breaks. Prissy cant wear clothes for more than 20 min with out mats. I hope that helps my fellow night owl out.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I will give it a shot - I'll have to wait for him to settle down after his dinner & get sleepy before I try though - he's not very tollerant & will probably only allow me about 20 minutes at a time! Would you water down the conditioner, or just use it straight up? Its his normal conditioner that needs to be rinsed out, so I thought it might act as a 'leave-in' conditioner if I dilute it?

It's only 5.30 pm here
But I am glad you're a night owl, I was beginning to think I probably wouldnt get a reply until much, much later! I think I've only noticed 1 or 2 other Australians using this site.

Sleep tight!

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by JMM@Jul 10 2005, 10:00 AM
You can dilute it or put it straight on, dematt, then bathe him. Most conditioners need to be rinsed out.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=79869
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, we did one side of him last night with the conditioner undiluted. Time & patience - I think he only let me take as long as it did because he was so tired after a big day! The rain is stopping our walk today, but hopefully it will clear soon so I can tire him out again before we start working on the other side! If all goes to plan, the other side will be done today, then the bath to follow!!! I don't want to drag this out another day!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts