Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tucker is 13 weeks old and doesn't seem to mat. His hair is long for his age and has a naturla part down the middle. The hair on the top of his head is not long enough to keep in a bow. (try finding a boy bow ! ) What do you all suggest for keeping the hair from falling down in the face. We can't even see his cute little eyes.

Since his hair looks so good long I am wondering how the legs are kept. Sure could use some pictures of the legs on a long haired pup

Thanks gang

Connie and Tucker

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Abbey hasn't had a mat yet either.
She is alittle over 6 months old now and her hair is probably 4 inches long. She is going to the groomer tomorrow (a new one) and I'm going to have it cut to about 2 inches long. The more experienced ones on here told me once that the adult coat does not come in until 9 months so I think matting will begin then.
With the puppy cut, I don't think you get mats !?! Is this right, everyone? Are you going to grow his hair out?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Abbey@Jul 11 2005, 07:51 AM
Abbey hasn't had a mat yet either. 
  She is alittle over 6 months old now and her hair is probably 4 inches long.  She is going to the groomer tomorrow (a new one) and I'm going to have it cut to about 2 inches long.  The more experienced ones on here told me once that the adult coat does not come in until 9 months so I think matting will begin then. 
  With the puppy cut, I don't think you get mats !?!  Is this right, everyone?  Are you going to grow his hair out?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=80300
[/QUOTE]

Tucker's hair is much longer than in the pictures taken 2 weeks ago. I didn't know the hair grew so fast. I would like to keep it long but not touching the floor but not sure if that will look good. I really need to look up some lengths of Malts hair.

Connie

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Our little guy is going to be 7 months old and last month he started to get matts. Up till then no problem, then all of a sudden they started. I have to brush him several times a day now, Daddy isn't much help keeping him matt free, they play and he rubs just behind his ears in a circle kind of motion
so that doesn't help, he has been better about not doing that as much lately though..... I keep his bangs trimmed because I don't use bows for his hair and to keep it out of his eyes I have to trim them, I just cut straight across. He always looks so cute after getting his bangs trimmed, his eyes look so much larger without hair hanging over them

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Maltese do shed, though not much since they don't have an "undercoat" like other breeds. I find that it is the shed hair that causes tangles or mats on Pico now. (he's 4 1/2 years) so just daily brushing with a natural bristle brush seems to remove shed hairs and keep him mat-free. Except when he licks excessively at times.....then he tangles those hairs a bit.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Littlemans Mom@Jul 11 2005, 09:31 AM
Our little guy is going to be 7 months old and last month he started to get matts. Up till then no problem, then all of a sudden they started. I have to brush him several times a day now, Daddy isn't much help keeping him matt free, they play and he rubs just behind his ears in a circle kind of motion   
  so that doesn't help, he has been better about not doing that as much lately though..... I keep his bangs trimmed because I don't use bows for his hair and to keep it out of his eyes I have to trim them, I just cut straight across. He always looks so cute after getting his bangs trimmed, his eyes look so much larger without hair hanging over them

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=80310
[/QUOTE]

I've heard that they go from puppy coat to adult coats and during that time matting is worse. I had the same situation with Catcher... just all of a sudden... tons of mats... That is probably what is going on with your Little Man!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Mine didn't mat until about 9 months. Then BOOM - mats everywhere. I think that it also doesn't help that they tussle and play as much as they do. When they get up in the morning they are still mat free. After a day of playing, they are more matted at night. Sadie has thinner hair and mats less than Sassy. Neither of them has a cottony coat either. I hope it'll get better soon.

·
Registered
942 Posts
My question is, when DOESN'T Chanel have mats? I didn't brush her hair in 2 days because I was so busy with school, and BAM! It's like she is one huge cotton ball, and my bf doesn't want me to cut her hair!!!

~Elegant

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
this shows parkers front with long hair

this pic kinda shows the legs too

i would take new pics but i had to chop off his hair..waiting for it to grow back

·
Registered
776 Posts
Jack hasn't matted at all, but then, I do brush him every day. He's nearly 5 months old, and he still has his puppy fur. it is probably about four inches long now, and I really like him at this length, i think when he's a "grown up" I will still keep him at about 3-5 inches long all the time.
I may have to do a "REX"
(shave him down) at 10 months or whenever his adult coat starts to come in.... hee!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Jul 11 2005, 10:21 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Littlemans Mom
@Jul 11 2005, 09:31 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=80310
I've heard that they go from puppy coat to adult coats and during that time matting is worse. I had the same situation with Catcher... just all of a sudden... tons of mats... That is probably what is going on with your Little Man!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=80323
[/B][/QUOTE]

I think you are right about the adult coat thing, he really is going through a stage! It started when he had a lot of teething going on also. He seems to be at a stand still as far as teething goes also, he has some baby teeth remaining where his new teeth have grown in , he gets neutered Aug. 3rd and the Vet will be removing those baby teeth at the same time. When the adult hair is all grown in does the matting get better? I hope so, I really love his hair on the longer side, but it is a challenge to keep up with the matts right now. He scratches a lot after we put on the Advantix once a month, I do notice him licking his paws more after putting it on also. I am going to talk to our Vet about it and see if maybe we need to change to something else. Matts and all he is such a joy....Maltese really are very special

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Some maltese just don't mat a lot. My mom's maltese doesn't mat at all. I literally don't brush her but once a week right before a bath. (She's staying with me for a while) I do her topknot 2 or 3 times a week. We keep her in her long coat. She did go through a stage of losing some hair and there was a few mats around her sides occasionally. But at a year old she is mat free again. It's wonderful! We don't trim her legs any special way, the only trimming we do is around her feet and behind. Her hair almost touches the floor, about another inch. Her hair has grown extremely slow.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
My puppy does get a few matts here and there, but nothing that I would consider major. I do brush her twice a day and I use a leave in conditioner when I comb her out. I re-do her top knot each day and I use the stretchy silicone rubber bands that seem to really slide out of her hair (I could easily take them out, but it is much faster to just snip). Her adult coat is definitely coming in and her hair is very straight. Since her puppy cut, everyone in my house is back to wanting to brush her. I guess no one wanted to take the time to brush her when her hair was long.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I've noticed some folks using hair clips. They don't stay in Sadie and Sassy's hair. I wish they would! I snip the bands so that I don't pull any hair out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts