Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a lot of new people are having issues with Mats on there puppies.

Here are a few products used by our own members from SM
Please try these before you give up and deside to shave your puppy's coat.

The product was created by Bo Derek the movie star. She has other wonderfull products listed. She love dogs and horses.
It smells great and that smell last a very long time. I can really say Chester our yorkie was like the donkey that turned into the hourse in srek. I followed the directions all I did was brush him while I bathed him.
We use it on Chelsey our Maltese as well, I only brush her one or twice a week if she gets into a big mess outside. She loves to run throw the snow. No matts for her either. It's great. thumbsup.gif
It prevents mats and removes them.

http://www.blessthebeasts.net/btb_online.html
You can also get it here: This is the better buy three products for the price of one.

http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?nest=%...ass=&Submit4=Go
click on the link above .

http://www.therustydog.net/

previous threads on Bless the Beast:
http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1874

This one is a new find for me but it is really good too.

iSmart D- Matt solution
Removes mats and Tangles, cut down shedding
I used this while Chelsey was spayed and could not have a bath. I had put her in pj's for two days. When I removed the pj's poor chelsey was was all matted.
I new I could not give her a bath with bless the beast to remove the mats, because of her stiches
I went to Ren's Pets Depot and found this product . It saved my puppy's coat.

All you do is spray it on the matt and rub it in and comb it out. It was very easy , not time comsuming ,no tuging and no bath required.
Unfortunetly I do not have a link were you can purcase it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I ordered Bless The Beasts at QVC It's coming tomorrow. I can't wait to try it Chloe needs a bath and I'm waiting to try it. She has very thick butt hair I hope this helps

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I love the Bless the Beasts Detangling 3 pack from QVC! The shampoo is fabulous, but the real winner for me is the fur polish pomade.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I have too many shampoos/conditioners for Cloud and Noriko already. I think when about half of them are gone I will try the BTB.
:D :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
I ordered the BTB set yesterday along with decent brush & comb ( from different site) and can't wait to use them on Sapper.

Melinda & Sapper

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I tried BTB detangling 3 pak from QVC.... I wasn't TOO pleased. I mean, yeah the product is pretty good. No seperate conditioner required (which cuts down bath time) but the claim to remove and keep mats from reforming is a little exaggerated. I guess I can't expect NO mats whatsoever...but I was just hoping for a miracle product... I do brush paris and keep him clean, but those annoying mats keeps appearing around the butt, ears, and the underside. I am going to give him a puppy shortcut soon, so that may eleviate the problem.

The product does make him smell clean and makes his fur soft. better than the lambert kay products I had used before.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Paris'Mom@Apr 7 2005, 04:24 PM
I tried BTB detangling 3 pak from QVC.... I wasn't TOO pleased.  I mean, yeah the product is pretty good.  No seperate conditioner required (which cuts down bath time) but the claim to remove and keep mats from reforming is a little exaggerated.  I guess I can't expect NO mats whatsoever...but I was just hoping for a miracle product...  I do brush paris and keep him clean, but those annoying mats keeps appearing around the butt, ears, and the underside.  I am going to give him a puppy shortcut soon, so that may eleviate the problem. 

The product does make him smell clean and makes his fur soft.  better than the lambert kay products I had used  before.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50264
[/QUOTE]

To help with the matts on the belly you can cut that shorter than the rest. I think when Lexi was down they did the belly at 3/8 (just slightly shorter than the rest).

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Apr 7 2005, 04:26 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Paris'Mom
@Apr 7 2005, 04:24 PM
I tried BTB detangling 3 pak from QVC.... I wasn't TOO pleased.  I mean, yeah the product is pretty good.  No seperate conditioner required (which cuts down bath time) but the claim to remove and keep mats from reforming is a little exaggerated.  I guess I can't expect NO mats whatsoever...but I was just hoping for a miracle product...  I do brush paris and keep him clean, but those annoying mats keeps appearing around the butt, ears, and the underside.  I am going to give him a puppy shortcut soon, so that may eleviate the problem. 

The product does make him smell clean and makes his fur soft.  better than the lambert kay products I had used  before.
To help with the matts on the belly you can cut that shorter than the rest. I think when Lexi was down they did the belly at 3/8 (just slightly shorter than the rest).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50265
[/B][/QUOTE]

His belly is shaved to very short, but it's the rim of the belly (does that make sense?) If you were looking at Paris with his back on the floor and four legs spread out, it's the outer trim where the hair is shave on the belly and the long hair that is not shaved? Sigh, i dont know how to explain it. but that always gets a mat. I think it's the way that he plays with his daddy. They rough-house around and his dad rubs his head into paris' belly (like kissing-tickle a baby's belly).

:eek:

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Paris'Mom+Apr 7 2005, 04:30 PM-->
Originally posted by Lexi's [email protected] 7 2005, 04:26 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Paris'Mom
@Apr 7 2005, 04:24 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50265

[/QUOTE]

His belly is shaved to very short, but it's the rim of the belly (does that make sense?) If you were looking at Paris with his back on the floor and four legs spread out, it's the outer trim where the hair is shave on the belly and the long hair that is not shaved? Sigh, i dont know how to explain it. but that always gets a mat. I think it's the way that he plays with his daddy. They rough-house around and his dad rubs his head into paris' belly (like kissing-tickle a baby's belly).

:eek:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50268
[/B][/QUOTE]

I get it. Lexi gets matted there too. Also on her tail and ears. It took me a couple of days to figure out why. She wasn't matting all the time. But when she did it was like BAM! and a huge mat would appear. It finally dawned on me that the matts were appearing after she played with her friend Ellie. They pay pretty rough. They like to pretend they are big, mean dogs and "bite" at each other and pull on each others ears and in Lexi's case tail.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Paris'Mom@Apr 7 2005, 05:24 PM

[/QUOTE]

Sorry it does not work for you, that is actually how it happened.. Chester used to matt all the time. Now I only give him a bath in Bless the beast. I only brush him once a week now. I had to brush him everyday. There are different factors that could be contributing to this problem for you. Have you purchase the brush and comb recommended in grooming section of the forum. Are you actually getting under the arms and legs when brushing? Sometimes you may think your brushing but only skimming the surface. Maybe the hair in that area is different lengths. Of course it will not work for every dog, but it works for both of mine. Maybe others here can help you Maybe others here can help you determine what is causing the matting.

When we got Chester and Chelsey I had more time on my hands. Now my job has me working 12 hr a day, so I do not have not time for brushing daily. I just posted this to save people from having to shave there puppies if they are matted badly. I can only talk for my puppies and it works for them. Chelsey and Chester are good for a week with this product and that's what I require for my life style now. Sorry it’s not working for you. Maybe the D-matt is what would work better, but that one removes mats only it does not help prevent them.

I've learned a lot from reading information on this forum. At first I thougt I already have a good comb and brush. ( after using my #1 All Systems comb yesterday for the first time I know better now. It really goes through all the hair not like my old comb.

After reading JMM Grooming tools pictorial
http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1857&hl=
I groom our puppies by myself now. Even if your not interested in that ,it is good information for day grooming as well..

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Holliberry@Apr 7 2005, 01:24 PM
This iSmart D- Matt solution, is it similar to the BTB pomade?  Has anyone had experience with both?  I am going to be having Phoebe spayed around the end of this month and she will be in onsies, so I know she will be matting.  If this does better than the pomade I might need to get it to have on hand

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50182
[/QUOTE]
I can't comment on the BTB pomade . I purchase mine from the bless the Beast website
so I did not get the three pack. Has any one here used both products?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Originally posted by Chelsey+Apr 7 2005, 06:06 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Holliberry
@Apr 7 2005, 01:24 PM
This iSmart D- Matt solution, is it similar to the BTB pomade?  Has anyone had experience with both?  I am going to be having Phoebe spayed around the end of this month and she will be in onsies, so I know she will be matting.  If this does better than the pomade I might need to get it to have on hand

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50182
I can't comment on the BTB pomade . I purchase mine from the bless the Beast website
so I did not get the three pack. Has any one here used both products?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50302
[/B][/QUOTE]

just a thought... :D maybe you can sell your remaining product on ebay or to someone else that may need to replenish their stock
THEN you buy the 3 pak from QVC...?

the pomade is great!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Originally posted by Chelsey+Apr 7 2005, 06:03 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Paris'Mom
@Apr 7 2005, 05:24 PM

Sorry it does not work for you, that is actually how it happened.. Chester used to matt all the time. Now I only give him a bath in Bless the beast. I only brush him once a week now. I had to brush him everyday. There are different factors that could be contributing to this problem for you. Have you purchase the brush and comb recommended in grooming section of the forum. Are you actually getting under the arms and legs when brushing? Sometimes you may think your brushing but only skimming the surface. Maybe the hair in that area is different lengths. Of course it will not work for every dog, but it works for both of mine. Maybe others here can help you Maybe others here can help you determine what is causing the matting.

When we got Chester and Chelsey I had more time on my hands. Now my job has me working 12 hr a day, so I do not have not time for brushing daily. I just posted this to save people from having to shave there puppies if they are matted badly. I can only talk for my puppies and it works for them. Chelsey and Chester are good for a week with this product and that's what I require for my life style now. Sorry it’s not working for you. Maybe the D-matt is what would work better, but that one removes mats only it does not help prevent them.

I've learned a lot from reading information on this forum. At first I thougt I already have a good comb and brush. ( after using my #1 All Systems comb yesterday for the first time I know better now. It really goes through all the hair not like my old comb.

After reading JMM Grooming tools pictorial
http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1857&hl=
I groom our puppies by myself now. Even if your not interested in that ,it is good information for day grooming as well..
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50301
[/B][/QUOTE]

You know, you're prob right! I'm going to start brushing him better. I am going to look for that detangling spray so I can help Paris out!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just washed Chloe with bless the beast Shampoo and used the fur polish pomade . OMG
and I will only use this from now on! I used the shampoo and no condictioner(I was scared to do this) and I brushed right threw her thick coat. blow dried her and rubed on the fur polish. She so soft. I love it! thanks for the info!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thank you for the info! My mom's malt is having a horrible matting problem right now. We brought home a havanese puppy a few weeks ago and Colby really likes to play rough with the puppy...he's always rolling around on the floor wrestling with him. My mom was in tears yesterday because even though Colby's hair is only about 2 inches long and she brushes him 3 times a day he is still getting horrible matts. I just ordered the 3-pak off QVC and I hope it does the trick.

·
Registered
132 Posts
i would love to use BTB but don't think the site does delivery to England, have tried QVC.co.uk but they don't have it

please help! dixie has afew matts since her spay and i would love to use the bo derek stuff

can anyone help me where i cud order it from?
thanks

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I ordered Bless the Beasts from the following website:

The Rusty Dog Store

I can't speak to their service, because the order isn't due in yet. I can say that the communication from the owner (it's obviously a small business) has been excellent.

She let me know that the pomade is on back order and she'll ship as soon as I comes in. I received a shipping confirmation and tracking number shortly after I told her that was OK.

I didn't see anything about international shipping, but Zorina, the owner, might take care of that if asked.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Pippinsmom@Apr 9 2005, 09:06 AM
Thank you for the info!  My mom's malt is having a horrible matting problem right now.  We brought home a havanese puppy a few weeks ago and Colby really likes to play rough with the puppy...he's always rolling around on the floor wrestling with him.  My mom was in tears yesterday because even though Colby's hair is only about 2 inches long and she brushes him 3 times a day he is still getting horrible matts.  I just ordered the 3-pak off QVC and I hope it does the trick. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50808
[/QUOTE]

Seem like you mom is doing a lot of work , with the brushing and still has matts.
ensure that she is skiming just over the skin when brushing.

Can I also suggest maybe you purchase her a really good brush and come sugested my JMM , as well as the Bless the beasts detanaling shampooo.
She will love you even more for it. If that is even possible

Here is a link disscussing the brushes
http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/index.php?...opic=1824&st=15

1 - 20 of 46 Posts