Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I'm sure this has been discussed many times before but I feel I need massive help. My baby has mats - :angry: I've never seen anything like this before and this is my first malt baby and I don't know what to do now as I've tried some of the few basic things one would try in order to get rid of them - I think?...(I even thought in the beginning, when I first noticed them - stupid me - that Snowy had some weird skin tag/disease - shame on me, I know but when I think mats - I didn't visualize what I'm seeing with snowy) What do I do??? Any suggestions would be much appreciated - even suggestions for good products - I'm listening.

Oh and before anyone asks -

- YES I fully brush with a madan brush (one of the ones I got from an SMV) every day sometimes even more than twice a day and I try to cover every nook and cranny and I use the comb too sometimes but on the mats, it hurts and I hate hurting my baby. I don't think I can even get in to work them out with a scizzor as some have suggested.
- I bathe him regularly and carefuly trying not to churn the fur and condition - been using Paul Mitchell Oatmeal shampoo and conditioner and I'm kind of liking/hating it - Like it b/c his fur is soft but don't like it so much b/c there's no nice just bathed smell.
- Also - don't do this all the time as he hates it - but I spray the mats with detangling spray before brushing and in betweene baths.

I should mention that his mats seem to develop on his legs and lately I'v noticed he sort of nibbles or "grooms" - maybe he's a bit itchy don't know - himself there a lot so I'm thinking there may be a connection and also they are incredibly close to the skin so it's really hard to work on them despite my many attempts. - is this what mats are?? chunks of soft, meshed, cotton candy hair blobs, really close to the skin and impossible to detangle??

Oh, another question is are they just ugly OR do they or will they eventually hurt him like hinder his movement somewhat, pull on his skin or something like that? This is so very frustrating and short of shaving them off - which I absolutely DON'T want to do btw, I don't know what to do.
It's a shame b/c my baby is so very handsome.....I haven't cut his hair yet at all since he was born and I decided that I really don't want to do it now that the winter is coming. It's long and he's so white and fluffy - what can I do for my precious snowy? Help!
I'd put up pics but my daughter had my camera meet her leaky water bottle fan in my hubby's waterproof back pack when we were in Florida this summer - funny how that backpack works - no water goes in but none come out either - so currently having it fixed - hopefully!
Thanks for any helpful suggestions and for listening :smcry:

·
Premium Member
6,090 Posts
I have found that detangling sprays actually make matting worse. I don't use them. I hope this helps:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
I use detangling sprays but honestly, when the mats get that bad, nothing is really going to be a miracle cure. What skin issues does he have? That can cause bad matting also.

If they are so close to the skin, the easiest thing (on your dog) to do is to cut them out. you will have to do it very carefully and it reminds me of shearing sheep. You can't leave them because they are already probably pulling on his skin and unfortunately, they don't just magically go away. How old is your dog? It may be coat change he's going through. Most of us have all been there - so dont blame yourself!

Good luck!!

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Cowboy Magic is the only thing I have used on mats that has actually worked. You can get it a any stores dedicated to horses, but you need to bathe straight afterward.

Yes, leaving the mats will get painful and really bug your little one :( if the mats are beyond cowboy magic, which they sound they are. I think maybe it better you go to a groomer who can discuss what they can do.

To maintain, I brush Lola every day, always followed by a comb through. If you wait a couple of days you may start getting mats. Also clothes and harnesses cause matting, so as soon as you take them off you need to brush, and don't leave them on for long periods.

If you do a search on matting you will find a lot of helpful suggestions. :)

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I'm sorry I'm not much help since I don't own a maltese yet, but I wanted to say that Snowy's matting despite all the brushing you're doing might be due to a coat change, as Stacy mentioned. I'm not sure how old Snowy is...but my Bailey (poodle mix) was matted too around 8-9 months old. I adopted him in March at around 5 months and brushed him every day...he seemed to be fine until about June when I started noticing a lot of matts. The groomer said it was because he was going through a coat change...she had to cut the the matts out (most groomers I've spoken to won't work out matts because they want the experience to be positive, not painful for the pups). He doesn't really matt much anymore.

As much as you don't want to, you may have to cut out Snowy's matts, especially if they're that close to the skin...but maybe visit a groomer to see what they say?

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i go thru this with dolce alot , if i skip a day without brushing thats it matts , i usually just cut them off . i have noticed too that dolce is chewing on his legs and i think hes causing the matts. hmm.

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
Yes, mats are very painful. :( If it's a large mat close to they skin, the most humane thing to do is cut it out carefully. The mat does pull on the skin, so, it's important to not leave it. I cut out mats on Cody, because, he just can't deal with the grooming aspect. He gets too stressed out. Remember, that water "sets" a mat, so, it's best to brush before a bath. I always use a detangling spray on Josey or Mandy when brushing....either, Quicker Slicker or The Stuff...spray it in and the mat will loosen up and comb right out. Google either product to purchase off the web. Rinse, rinse, and rinse when bathing. It sounds like a puppy cut, shorter style will be your best bet this winter. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Just got internet back and hadn't seen the suggestions. OMG, I knew it!! matting does hurt...I was afraid of that. I'm going to cut them. Awww man...didn't want to do that!! He'll look ridiculous.
You know, come to think of it, yes, he's probably going through a coat change. I think he's causing the mats too by "grooming" himself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts