Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well the battle with the matts have begun.. i comb dolce almost everyday , i might skip a day.. anyway he is starting to mat on his legs/paws and a bit on his belly , underarms , i hv not been able to get these off , and i have cut them. im debated giving him a puppy coat , i love his fluffy look but i think we would both be more comfortable if he gets a puppy cut , he has never been to the groomers ... any suggestions , should i keep him long .. or ? any help with the matts? forgot to say his hair is cottony ..

·
Registered
847 Posts
I like the long look, but it is a LOT of work. Some people have to comb their dogs more than once a day to keep mats away, depending on the coat. If you don't want to put in that kind of time, you might want to cut him down. Lot of people here keep the faces/ears long and cut the body really short for maintenance purposes. It's really up to you! I'm sure Dolce will look adorable either way :)

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Dixie is five now and I am growing her coat for the first time. [Lilly is 9 months and I am growing hers long too]. I kept Dixie short all these years b/c I didn't want to put in the time grooming. Now that we are getting a bit longer I absolutely cannot skip a day combing. If I do, I regret it. I comb every morning and sometimes a casual quickie comb at night while watching TV. At this point I never use a brush. I'm not sure if this helps you. I guess my biggest contribution here is to say if your going long don't skip days combing.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Nelson's hair was getting very matted and long and fluffy...cottony too. But after we got his hair cut the first time, it is MUCH better. It is softer and he has no mats. Well he has one small one by his ear, but I think that is from washing his face/head and it not drying completey and getting matted.
But he was getting matts all over his body before. He looks soooo much more comfortable now. He was needing like rinsed off after going out every time too. Now we just usually rinse his feet when he comes in if they are dirty. It's been so rainy and yucky in the yard!!!

Before he got a haircut twigs and leaves were literally sticking in his hair like velcro, it was getting ridiculous. I say cut it! If you don't like it, it will always grow!

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks girls .. i think were getting a summer cut soon .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts