Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is very odd but my Baby (one year old) is having a problem today and I have no idea what to do or how to help. He just had a full blow erection (he is fixed) that wouldn't go down for about 10 minutes. He was practically limping around with his tail curled under and loooking scared. I tried to pick him up and put him in his "house" so he could rest and he snapped at me.

Now, he is almost back to normal with just a little bit "sticking out". It doesn't seem to be going back in and, although he is eating now, I am concerned this is potentially a problem.

Anyone ever experience this ever?
I am NOT a sicko, just a worried Mommy.

Thanks,
Menachem's Mom

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I remember reading a post about this on MO awhile back. It truly can be a medical emergency. I'd call your vet, but here is some information.

Male dogs can get an inability to retract the penis back into it's protective skin covering called the "prepuce". This can happen if the skin towards the tip of the penis rolls in and constricts the penis, foreign objects can get lodged in between and constrict the penis, or trauma can produce swelling that also constricts the penis. When the penis becomes constricted, veinous blood flow is constricted and the penis swells even larger and prevents passage into the prepuce even more and this becomes a medical emergency. To replace the penis, generally requires sedation or anesthesia because it is very painful. If left untreated for any length of time, the penis can start to die (or "necrose") and turn gangrene resulting in infection that can go into the dog's system, produce shock and the dog could die. Sometimes, if there is damage to the urethra (the tube that carries urine out of the body), the dog may not be able to urinate and this is also life-threatening. Depending upon the severity of the problem, the penis may need to be amputated. Early veterinary intervention is necessary. He needs to be examined for possible congenital problems (such as problems with the prepuce) that may need surgical correction to prevent this from happening again.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Oct 25 2005, 12:33 PM
I remember reading a post about this on MO awhile back. It truly can be a medical emergency. I'd call your vet, but here is some information.

Male dogs can get an inability to retract the penis back into it's protective skin covering called the "prepuce". This can happen if the skin towards the tip of the penis rolls in and constricts the penis, foreign objects can get lodged in between and constrict the penis, or trauma can produce swelling that also constricts the penis. When the penis becomes constricted, veinous blood flow is constricted and the penis swells even larger and prevents passage into the prepuce even more and this becomes a medical emergency. To replace the penis, generally requires sedation or anesthesia because it is very painful. If left untreated for any length of time, the penis can start to die (or "necrose") and turn gangrene resulting in infection that can go into the dog's system, produce shock and the dog could die. Sometimes, if there is damage to the urethra (the tube that carries urine out of the body), the dog may not be able to urinate and this is also life-threatening. Depending upon the severity of the problem, the penis may need to be amputated. Early veterinary intervention is necessary. He needs to be examined for possible congenital problems (such as problems with the prepuce) that may need surgical correction to prevent this from happening again.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113292
[/QUOTE]
Oh my goodness! I hope little Menachem is okay

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh my goodness! Thank you for the information I will call the Vet right away and keep everybody updated!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Seems like I remember Ladymontava saying something about this one time....
Maybe she will read this and have some more advice...
I think sometimes it requires surgery.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Here's an SM thread about it... Scroll down... there is info from LadyMontava. And a warm bath apparently helps per the person who had the problem. Here is the thread and the quote from Mystify79: "The warm bath did the trick, it almost immediately retracted. I was getting a little worried because I was doing a bit of research and one vet website said this was a very serious problem and to call a vet right away, so I'm glad it was solved."

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1051

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK! The good news everything is back in it's place and Menachem appears to be his happy go lucky self.

I am taking him to the Vet first thing tomorrowjust to be sure.

I will let everyone know what the Dr said.

Thanks for the support and help. It's good to know you are not the only one - know what I mean?

Love, Menachem's Mom

·
Registered
545 Posts
Or a very small bit of Vaseline will make it go back quickly. It is very frightening to us, but seems to be very normal. This is why Baxter doesn't have any stuffed animals anymore!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
glad to hear it is back it..sorry i didnt get to this soon enough. looks like everything was answered. i have to keep parker shaved to the skin there or his will get stuck out..i think he would need cosmetic surgery to fix it..maybe one day i will do that myself, but for now he will just have to let me shave him often.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Oh my! I guess I have a lot to learn if I ever have a little boy dog.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by Msloke+Oct 25 2005, 10:17 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2005, 09:08 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Scrappy
@Oct 25 2005, 04:19 PM
Yes I was told to never let the hair grow there by my vet too as it can cause problems.   They do look in so much pain the poor babies when it happens.  I too have found a warm bath helps the lipstick go back in.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113421

LIPSTICK!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113502

[/QUOTE]
I'll never be able to look at a tube of lipstick again in the same way.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113504
[/B][/QUOTE]

Me neither

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
This is great information- I am filing this under "please god don't let this happen to Wilson, but if it does this is what you do"

P.S. We call it "the little pink monster"

·
Registered
489 Posts
Originally posted by Msloke+Oct 25 2005, 09:17 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2005, 09:08 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Scrappy
@Oct 25 2005, 04:19 PM
Yes I was told to never let the hair grow there by my vet too as it can cause problems.   They do look in so much pain the poor babies when it happens.  I too have found a warm bath helps the lipstick go back in.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113421

LIPSTICK!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113502

[/QUOTE]
I'll never be able to look at a tube of lipstick again in the same way.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113504
[/B][/QUOTE]

Oh My Goodness...Lipstick...that's the best...I cant stop laughing

I love this forum

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Everyone!

You'll be happy to know that the Vet said I am totally healthy and sometimes things just get "stuck". He suggested my Mommy get some lubricant at the drug store in case it happens again. Then Mommy turned really red, I don't know why.

The Vet said to take away any "special" toys I have (which is actually just the pillow that fits in my bed) and if I start to hump things to try to distract me with treats and training.

So all is well. The Vet just said I am a STUDLY guy!
Woo-Hoo.

Now what's all this talk about lipstick.

Love, Studly Menachem

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I'm glad the vet said you were a-okay and mommy didn't get too embarrassed!

Bummer about the special toys, though!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts