Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Maximillian was neutered in July and he is very sad one minute and very aggressive the next. Is this normal did I make a mistake he does not seem like the old Max. Is it hormones and poor thing tried to hump yesterday and my hubby said he just lied there looking sad. Any advice is much appreciated. Plus he has gained weight. good grief.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Awww poor Max...Nelson says welcome to the club! :angry:

Well when was he neutured? Nelson just got neutured on the 6th of July. He was VERRRRRY aggitated and just not himself during his recovery period. Having to wear onesies, be tied up almost 24/7, have a big collar on, not able to run around and tire himself out, and no doggy steps. He turned very aggressive, and every little thing was setting him off...even the cat meowing.

However, after his 10 day check up, they cleared him for all normal activity. That night he was back to his self. He seemed much happier. They said that was normal, since we were constricting him so much while he healed. Think about it, they have no idea what is going on...he probably thought that was how life was going to be from here on out.

Now, as for hormones and stuff, I'm sure it takes some time for their bodies to adjust. And as for the weight, our vet suggested swithching him over to adult food starting anytime now. That without those extra hormones he will start to put weight on. We haven't yet, but in the next month we will start switching over. We never had a weight problem with Andy until he got within the senior age range, before we switched him to senior food, then the extra weight came back off.

So yeah when was he neutured? If it was recently, I'd give him some more time before getting too worried about it.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Let me tell you, my little Leo, was completely not himself after his neutuer. He just knew something was different. He was not aggressive at all, but he is the emotional type. Physically he healed very quickly, but emotionally it took the full two weeks. He was still his same loving self, but he could tell, and I could tell, he felt a difference. I had another male my Flakey, and did not have this problem. If your baby is on pain meds, it could also be that.

Now when I had my Mia done, my female, the same time as Leo, the next day, she was up and around, like her old self, walking gingerly, but no emotional change.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I would just check on the pain meds, if you are giving them, and maybe the dose may be too much. But I promise you, your little guy, will be back to his old self soon.

I pointed this out to my vet, during our follow up visit, and she frankly was shocked, but did mention, it could have been the pain meds.

But Leo is a funny guy, everything hits in more on an emotional level.

Hugs to you and Max.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awww poor Max...Nelson says welcome to the club! :angry:

Well when was he neutured? Nelson just got neutured on the 6th of July. He was VERRRRRY aggitated and just not himself during his recovery period. Having to wear onesies, be tied up almost 24/7, have a big collar on, not able to run around and tire himself out, and no doggy steps. He turned very aggressive, and every little thing was setting him off...even the cat meowing.

However, after his 10 day check up, they cleared him for all normal activity. That night he was back to his self. He seemed much happier. They said that was normal, since we were constricting him so much while he healed. Think about it, they have no idea what is going on...he probably thought that was how life was going to be from here on out.

Now, as for hormones and stuff, I'm sure it takes some time for their bodies to adjust. And as for the weight, our vet suggested swithching him over to adult food starting anytime now. That without those extra hormones he will start to put weight on. We haven't yet, but in the next month we will start switching over. We never had a weight problem with Andy until he got within the senior age range, before we switched him to senior food, then the extra weight came back off.

So yeah when was he neutured? If it was recently, I'd give him some more time before getting too worried about it.
Thanks Amanda,

Well he is on special food so its not that. Okay maybe the chicken breast has to be cut off he wouldnt eat for me after surgery. But he was good with the cone cuz he only wore it for a few days and at night for a week cuz anytime he went near the area I said NO and he listened. Went to the vet he is healing nicely no scar. But he just seems so melon collie (not sure about the spelling). And having these running fits back and forth back and forth. Oh I hope hes better soon, and you and Nelson are so lucky he is better give him some kisses from us. Max did his on July 1st.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me tell you, my little Leo, was completely not himself after his neutuer. He just knew something was different. He was not aggressive at all, but he is the emotional type. Physically he healed very quickly, but emotionally it took the full two weeks. He was still his same loving self, but he could tell, and I could tell, he felt a difference. I had another male my Flakey, and did not have this problem. If your baby is on pain meds, it could also be that.

Now when I had my Mia done, my female, the same time as Leo, the next day, she was up and around, like her old self, walking gingerly, but no emotional change.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I would just check on the pain meds, if you are giving them, and maybe the dose may be too much. But I promise you, your little guy, will be back to his old self soon.

I pointed this out to my vet, during our follow up visit, and she frankly was shocked, but did mention, it could have been the pain meds.

But Leo is a funny guy, everything hits in more on an emotional level.

Hugs to you and Max.
Max hugs and kisses back. No he had surgery July 1st and only was on pain meds for 5 days, so its not that. He just seems sad and its making me sad. Thanks for the support.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I am sure he will be back to his old self soon :grouphug: I am sorry you are both sad. If he isn't maybe checking with the vet may be a good idea, are there any signs that he is still uncomfortable? may just take him a bit more time. Give him a big hug from me. :tender:

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Tyler had no change of behavior or weight after his neuter at all and it was a complicated one pus 8 teeth pulled out. If you're really worried have him checked out by the vet because it might be something else.

·
Premium Member
24,174 Posts
I hope Max is feeling more like his self soon, poor baby, Matilda does a run up and dwon the hall way a few times a week, but she does it to play. Hugs to you

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
I didn't see any changes at all in Boo after his neuter, except he hated going to the vet after that. He bounced back quickly & was his regular self in a couple of days.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for your concerns, I took him to the vet and he was fine. He also had 12 baby teeth pulled at the same time. He is 9 months old and he had his vaccines awhile ago so it can't be that and he is off his meds after the surgery. Maybe I am being perinoid I will wait it out another week and see how it goes, its a little hot here maybe he is just being a lazy daisy...lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts