Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being new to the forum, I'm just getting to learn about people and their fluffs. My baby (when she gets here) is just for a pet but I know many of you show and breed. So I'm wondering:
1 Who shows their dogs, who breeds them and who just has a pet?

I'm Also learning that there are many bad breeders out there or many unwanted Maltese in shelters etc... so:

2. Where did you get your dog/dogs?

Not sure if this is too much to ask, but I think it would help me to learn more about everyone here.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
Being new to the forum, I'm just getting to learn about people and their fluffs. My baby (when she gets here) is just for a pet but I know many of you show and breed. So I'm wondering:

There are a few show/breeders here - MaryH, Stacy (bellaratamaltese) Tina, I know there are others, but it escapes me at the moment. The gals you see posting here; if they breed, they show. The rest of the members have pets ('cept me, I'm fluffless)

I'm Also learning that there are many bad breeders out there or many unwanted Maltese in shelters etc... so:

2. Where did you get your dog/dogs?
Here's a thread that may answer this question. Where did your dog come from?

Not sure if this is too much to ask, but I think it would help me to learn more about everyone here.

Try this thread - Where is everyone from? Other then this, I don't know how comfortable everyone would be to post personal information in an open forum. And I question why the interest, and the intent? Perhaps it's just me, and I'm being as overly cautious as you are inquisitive.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hello! My wife and I have two female pups, Tinker Bell and Tiger Lily. We do not show them or breed them. They are *just* our babies. :)

We had a male and female Maltese a while back and we did breed them... not repetitively as backyard breeders for profit or anything but because we had a family friend that wanted the puppy. It turned out to be a blessing because earlier this year, our female was killed in a tragic accident (we ended up re-homing the male with my mother because it was too hard to have one without the other... they were a pair!) The blessing part comes in that the woman who took our dogs' female pup bred her to give us the puppy. Her dog ended up having two girl puppies and we adopted both of them. They are our little loves and the granddaughters of our original dogs.

All of that being said... I do NOT think backyard breeding is good... especially now that I have educated myself more on the subject. I am very, very against it. Our girls are getting spayed in a few weeks once they are big/old enough. It was very hard seeing our first dog going through the pregnancy and birth... I couldn't imagine doing that to either of our girls. Plus they are many, many benefits to spaying them and NOT breeding them.

But yes, that is us and that is how we got our pups. :)

·
Premium Member
5,462 Posts
I got my maltese from a show breeder as a pet, but I decided I wanted to show him. I started showing him last November when he was 6 months and I am finishing this month - so 12 months of showing - it was fun he has 1 title, 40ish rosettes and 4 trophies/plaques :)

My next dog(another boy) will be from another show breeder - but will be bought for show :)

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
answers

Mine are part of my family.

2. Where did you get your dog/dogs? PRrior to knowing about Puppy Mills, BYB and the works, My husband purchased 1 pet store, 1 from independent breeder. BYB? dunno

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sorry I made you feel uncomfortable. I'm just a friendly person and I'm trying to get to know everyone better. I belong to two other forums and on those everyone shares stuff like this often. I guess when I'm reading about things, it's nice to know where people get their experience from. Again, sorry if it made you feel uncomfortable. Not meant that way.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello! My wife and I have two female pups, Tinker Bell and Tiger Lily. We do not show them or breed them. They are *just* our babies. :)

We had a male and female Maltese a while back and we did breed them... not repetitively as backyard breeders for profit or anything but because we had a family friend that wanted the puppy. It turned out to be a blessing because earlier this year, our female was killed in a tragic accident (we ended up re-homing the male with my mother because it was too hard to have one without the other... they were a pair!) The blessing part comes in that the woman who took our dogs' female pup bred her to give us the puppy. Her dog ended up having two girl puppies and we adopted both of them. They are our little loves and the granddaughters of our original dogs.

All of that being said... I do NOT think backyard breeding is good... especially now that I have educated myself more on the subject. I am very, very against it. Our girls are getting spayed in a few weeks once they are big/old enough. It was very hard seeing our first dog going through the pregnancy and birth... I couldn't imagine doing that to either of our girls. Plus they are many, many benefits to spaying them and NOT breeding them.

But yes, that is us and that is how we got our pups. :)
I'm sorry you lost your pup but what a wonderful story with the new puppies. My mom and I will have sisters and I think it will be exciting.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine are ALL spayed/neutered, and from Rescue.

RESCUES ROCK!! Especially the seniors. :wub:
That's really cool. What exactly is the rescue? Do you mean the pound or what? Sorry if it sounds dumb but I don't know much about any of this.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thank you! It was hard losing our dog and as anyone who has ever lost a pet knows, no other pup could ever replace her... but Tinker and Tiger Lily are so precious and fun and wonderful and everything in their own ways and I wouldn't trade them for anything! :)

Now, I know that saying this will possibly get a few indignant responses but since you are new and appear to be "sticking around", you might as well know how it can sometimes be. I am not naming names or pointing fingers or anything but it has been discussed on the forum before... newcomers (myself included) sometimes view responses to their innocent posts, comments and/or questions as a bit harsh or judgmental. In those posters defense, they say they are just thinking in the best interest of the pups but yes, sometimes it comes across as harsh, defensive, judgmental, whatever. It happens. And while I myself have been displeased at responses and felt judged or scolded at times, the majority of people here are super sweet and helpful and welcoming.

Anyway, I meant to say it to you earlier but welcome to the board! I saw a pic of your pup... precious! You must be so excited to bring her home!

·
Registered
115 Posts
my sugar was bought because i wanted a maltese dog...lol she is a beautiful dog. i guess i could show her if i wanted to she is down to the weight and she has papers and is a beautiful dog but i don't have any desire to show her nor do i have the time. I just love them being one of my best friends. lol

·
Super Moderator
10,171 Posts
That's really cool. What exactly is the rescue? Do you mean the pound or what? Sorry if it sounds dumb but I don't know much about any of this.
Sweetness came from a small show breeder and Tessa is a rescue. Hmm . . . difference between rescue and shelter/pound . . . most of the rescue organizations have a "target" - they are either breed specific, or dog type specific such as "Small Paws Rescue" or "Southern Comfort Maltese Rescue." Unlike the shelters/pound where the dogs are kept in cages or kennels, rescues usually use foster homes for the dogs until they are adopted, that way you get a good feel for the dog's personality. Dogs from a rescue are almost always fully vet checked, immunized, spayed/neutered and have had health issues addressed.

Like Deb says, Rescues Rock!

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Hi. I have three maltese and one silly yorkie boy.

Archie: Came from a pet shop, thus a puppy mill. He's a big boy (10 lbs)and has bad legs. He's the sweetest guy ever and pretty darn handsome, if i don't say so myself.....and I couldn't love him more.:wub:

Abbey: Came from a small local breeder. Miss Abbey (in my opinion) is a good example of the maltese breed physically, even though she's not very photogenic :blush:. (Abbey is 6 1/2 lbs) She was taken from her mother too early - just before 8 weeks old. I think she needed the extra time with her mom and siblings because she's so very yappy now. and tends to try to bite other dogs when she's on a leash!! Abbey is the best kisser in the world though and has the blue ribbons to prove it. i love my sweet sassy girl.

Ava: Came from a reputable show breeder. I showed her for about 9 months and really enjoyed it!!!! She even took best of breed one time :chili:. But I was no good in keeping a show coat....she and I both hated all that grooming. So now she's my tiny fashionista. And she is a tiny one at 3 lbs. Ava is just a joy, I can't imagine life without her. Everyone loves Ava.

Tinker: Came from a puppy mill (as an adult) that was shut down. The boy has many "issues" and after four years is still sort of an odd ball. He's so serious and doesn't know how to play. And he's still afraid of everyone except me after all this time. Poor little Tink is so awkward in everything he does, I call him my little knucklehead. I just love my little silly dude. (5 1/2 lbs)

So that's it...sorry it was so long...:blush:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you! It was hard losing our dog and as anyone who has ever lost a pet knows, no other pup could ever replace her... but Tinker and Tiger Lily are so precious and fun and wonderful and everything in their own ways and I wouldn't trade them for anything! :)

Now, I know that saying this will possibly get a few indignant responses but since you are new and appear to be "sticking around", you might as well know how it can sometimes be. I am not naming names or pointing fingers or anything but it has been discussed on the forum before... newcomers (myself included) sometimes view responses to their innocent posts, comments and/or questions as a bit harsh or judgmental. In those posters defense, they say they are just thinking in the best interest of the pups but yes, sometimes it comes across as harsh, defensive, judgmental, whatever. It happens. And while I myself have been displeased at responses and felt judged or scolded at times, the majority of people here are super sweet and helpful and welcoming.

Anyway, I meant to say it to you earlier but welcome to the board! I saw a pic of your pup... precious! You must be so excited to bring her home!

Thanks for the heads up. I'm just trying to be friendly and try to get to know people. Everyone has their own opinions and that's ok. I'm one of those people who tends to get stepped on and don't like hurting others. I really appreciate your kindness.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Yep, an often asked question. As Maggie stated, an ethical rescue will have the dogs FULLY vetted (shots, spay/neuter, dental, etc.) I would like to add, PDA surgery, Liver Shunt, Luxating Patella, Catarac, Eye Removal, etc.

We also look at temperament, and the dogs are placed accordingly. We do our best to find the perfect match for each doggie. We lay it all on the line. No sugar coating. Many are only going to "experienced" homes, as they need help with potty training, chewing, etc. But they are pups, so what do you expect. Some have health issues, which need on going care. Some are just old, not attractive, and going blind (Raul). But most are perfect little pets, of course, my perfect pet is a senior, or one with health issues. But that's just me. It's important for me to help those who no one wants to help. They need me the most. You'd be surprised how many seniors I've adopted out through the years. Gosh their families were/are so happy with them. Just warms my heart.

I am always there for one of my adopted fosters, 24/7. We keep in touch, share stories, talk about alternative medicine, safe dog chews/toys, and comfy doggie beds. We share gifts, cards, and prayers for our extended families. Best of all, we share pics, love, and laughter. I need to know my doggies are safe, happy, and healthy. The applicants I've known, and was involved in the approval process, have been sooo awesome. We've been very lucky in that regard. I love my adoptive families, and thank God for THEM every day.

I've shared their stories on SM, they are wonderful. I'll try to dig some up for you.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sweetness came from a small show breeder and Tessa is a rescue. Hmm . . . difference between rescue and shelter/pound . . . most of the rescue organizations have a "target" - they are either breed specific, or dog type specific such as "Small Paws Rescue" or "Southern Comfort Maltese Rescue." Unlike the shelters/pound where the dogs are kept in cages or kennels, rescues usually use foster homes for the dogs until they are adopted, that way you get a good feel for the dog's personality. Dogs from a rescue are almost always fully vet checked, immunized, spayed/neutered and have had health issues addressed.

Like Deb says, Rescues Rock!

Thanks for explaining that to me. It helps to know what people are talking about when they mean rescue. How wonderful that there are people who will foster the dogs. My brother has a "Paws" dog. It's his hearing ear dog and it was with a foster family for the 1st two years of it's life during training. I can't imagine having a dog and then having to give it up. Most be so hard.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi. I have three maltese and one silly yorkie boy.

Archie: Came from a pet shop, thus a puppy mill. He's a big boy (10 lbs)and has bad legs. He's the sweetest guy ever and pretty darn handsome, if i don't say so myself.....and I couldn't love him more.:wub:

Abbey: Came from a small local breeder. Miss Abbey (in my opinion) is a good example of the maltese breed physically, even though she's not very photogenic :blush:. (Abbey is 6 1/2 lbs) She was taken from her mother too early - just before 8 weeks old. I think she needed the extra time with her mom and siblings because she's so very yappy now. and tends to try to bite other dogs when she's on a leash!! Abbey is the best kisser in the world though and has the blue ribbons to prove it. i love my sweet sassy girl.

Ava: Came from a reputable show breeder. I showed her for about 9 months and really enjoyed it!!!! She even took best of breed one time :chili:. But I was no good in keeping a show coat....she and I both hated all that grooming. So now she's my tiny fashionista. And she is a tiny one at 3 lbs. Ava is just a joy, I can't imagine life without her. Everyone loves Ava.

Tinker: Came from a puppy mill (as an adult) that was shut down. The boy has many "issues" and after four years is still sort of an odd ball. He's so serious and doesn't know how to play. And he's still afraid of everyone except me after all this time. Poor little Tink is so awkward in everything he does, I call him my little knucklehead. I just love my little silly dude. (5 1/2 lbs)

So that's it...sorry it was so long...:blush:
Wow, so Ava is only 3 lbs. That's tiny. My Skittle was 2.6 lbs when I went to see him at the breeders last week. Is Ava your Yorkie or a Malt. Hard to tell in the pictures. Sounds like you have a great mix of loves. Thanks for sharing. I love hearing these stories.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Wow, so Ava is only 3 lbs. That's tiny. My Skittle was 2.6 lbs when I went to see him at the breeders last week. Is Ava your Yorkie or a Malt. Hard to tell in the pictures. Sounds like you have a great mix of loves. Thanks for sharing. I love hearing these stories.
Thanks. Ava is a maltese. And she's as sweet as she is cute! She is 2 years old.
View attachment 91170

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Hi Lisa ...Welcome!

My Missy ( RIP) was my very first Maltese. I knew little about the breed and less about back-yard breeders. At the time I actually wanted a Bichon, but hubby saw an ad and amde an appoitment to go see her. I went reluctantly!.... This was to be one of my anniversary presents and I didn't wnat to hurt his feelings. I warned him if I didn't feel 'connected' we'd not get one.
Well, saw her and her siblings and fell in love immediately...so started my love for the breed. Unfortunately, Missy had loads of health issues and cost us a fortune in medical bills! What was worse was knowing she had to deal with them all, even though we did our very best to give her a good quality of life. When she passed I was devestated!! I felt it would be awhile before we got another.
Well, only 2 short months after, I was informed about a little Maltese mix in rescue that was 1-2 years old... good pooch but had a few 'issues and needed home to give her TLC and bhelp her thru her 'problems'. Naddie had been a victim of severe neclect/abuse. She wasn't really an 'attractive' pooch in her rescue photo...all shaved down etc, but the second I saw her and read her bio I KNEW I had to have her. I knew I could help her and felt she too would help me thru the loss of Missy. I felt I was doing something 'positive' in Missy's memory. This was also my first experience in adopting an adult pooch...had always gotten pups. I was, however convinced she belonged with us and commited to her. That was 5 years ago and Naddie is one of the best , sweetest little pooches I've had in my whole life. She's a true gem! I adore her!
Our little Quincy came from a home where he was very much loved and cared for. However, his 'parents' had to move out of the country for five years ( job-related) and couldn't take their precious boy with them. "Mom even stayed behind trying to find a good home where she knew he'd be well loved and cared for. Via a series of contacts, I was suggested to her and she contected me. She had remembered from another forum and here when I had Missy. She knew I took pooch-ownership very seriously and I was dedicated to their welfare. I actually said 'I couldn't' at first. I had just lost 2 sisters in 4 months and a lot on my plate. I then, however, thought: what if that was 'me"???! I'd be as distraught as his mom was in seeking a good home. I contacted her ... asked more questions/information about little Quincy and it sounded like he'd be a good companion for Naddie. ( he was already neutered as was Naddie spayed)
We then added Mr Quincy to our family and Once again we were blessed with an absolutely little angel of a pooch! I adore him too!! He and Naddie are same age ( now 7 ...in fact his B'day is this WED! ).. and will be with us 3 years as of the following week.
They bonded right away, and are best of pals!
As you might guess I'm very 'pro-rescue' adoption!' LOL
My pooches are my babies and they fill my life with joy!

As to me and hubby. He's retired ( has lots of health issues but doing well) I'm headed to 65 and still work a bit from home ( Hairstylist focusing mostly on age50+ clients) My 'kids" get to go to work with me and clients love them! They so well behaved ... they greet each one but once I start working they go lay in their beds . I couldn't ask for better.
I love gardening, knitting, reading..... oh and the internet and 'Spoiled Maltese" of course. I play some FB games as well.... yup a bit addicted there LOL

Hope that give you a bit of insight into me and my two little twirps!

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Hunter came from our local animal shelter and he is a love of all loves. He is very smart but can be stubborn which means really, that he's a lot of fun! We were told when we adopted him that he "is not a lapdog" however, most nights and days when we are home you will find him curled up in our laps or leaning against our legs on the couch. On the rare occassion that I do not let him on the couch - he will curl up on your feet and will even stretch himself across his bed and onto the floor to touch your feet. He is truly a pack animal and it hurts to think of him in a shelter with little interaction each day. I agree with others - rescues ROCK!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts