Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just dropped off Maya and Rocky at the groomer and they have me worried. They said that whenever they have a dog with mats theey require you to sign a release incase they get cut, the release is to have permission to rush them to the vet. He was explaining the mats (which I got the majority of out, they werent THAT bad!) and he said that the mat will form and can form into the skin and sometimes you cant tell and when they run the blade through it, the skin can get cut. I am so worried, they havent called yet and they are supposed to be ready in an hour, I cant wait to get my babies!! THey hate going to the groomer, I always say that I need to groom them myself but havent gotten around to buying good grooming supplies. I think I really will do it myself from now on!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Awww! I totally understand. I hope all goes well. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
894 Posts
As I have said MANY times, we don't do groomers anymore
I do it myself now, we got the clipper kit (a Wahl) from Wal-Mart for $30.00. I got some scissors and some thinning scissors. It was hard to learn, and I still am, but if there is a mistake, at least it was MY mistake and I didn't pay someone to make it!! I started slowly, just feet, sanitary clip, some leg work and worked my way up!! She looked kinda funny the first couple times, but my "mistakes" grew out!! LOL.... She is in a very short puppy cut now (you KNOW how hot it's been) and I really thinned out her face so she didn't have that "anorexic body and big head" look.....left her cute long tail though, I really like it!!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which groomer did you try? I actually really like our groomer just hate bringing them there
We just picked them up and they are fine, maya looks SOO skinny I will have to post pics later! I just pur Maya's "Sugar & Spice" tee on bc she is embarrased since she is so short

Originally posted by Sisses Momma@May 24 2005, 12:46 PM
I do it myself now, we got the clipper kit (a Wahl) from Wal-Mart for $30.00.  I got some scissors and some thinning scissors.  It was hard to learn, and I still am, but if there is a mistake, at least it was MY mistake and I didn't pay someone to make it!!  I started slowly, just feet, sanitary clip, some leg work and worked my way up!!  She looked kinda funny the first couple times, but my "mistakes" grew out!!  LOL....  She is in a very short puppy cut now (you KNOW how hot it's been) and I really thinned out her face so she didn't have that "anorexic body and big head" look.....left her cute long tail though, I really like it!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64881
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Wow, I never heard of signing a waiver for mats...I guess it's a good thing that they acknowledge the possibility instead of just cutting a dog by accident and pretending that nothing happened...

Don't forget the after pics!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@May 24 2005, 02:46 PM
I do it myself now, we got the clipper kit (a Wahl) from Wal-Mart for $30.00.  I got some scissors and some thinning scissors.  It was hard to learn, and I still am, but if there is a mistake, at least it was MY mistake and I didn't pay someone to make it!!  I started slowly, just feet, sanitary clip, some leg work and worked my way up!!  She looked kinda funny the first couple times, but my "mistakes" grew out!!  LOL....  She is in a very short puppy cut now (you KNOW how hot it's been) and I really thinned out her face so she didn't have that "anorexic body and big head" look.....left her cute long tail though, I really like it!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64881
[/QUOTE]

That is the clipper set that I have too...and a decent pair of round tip scissors and thinning shears. It works for us with one dog...eventually I would like to upgrade to the Oster clippers and different blades. I think the combs make it look choppy sometimes. I think the blades would make a smoother finish...am I right JMM?

I am sure Maya looks great...she will probably decide she likes the new cut for summer.
Sometimes it is not as bad of a cut, as it is just a shock to us at the difference. :D Can't wait to see pictures.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
That would freak me out, I totally understand why you had to sign that and proubly should give more of a peace of mind that they will get immediate medical treatment if something happens but it would still freak me out the have to think about it. I do Sunny's gromming now but mostly becuase I am cheap and would rather spend the money a grommer costs on other things lol. I remember before I moved I ended up taking my roomates lhasa (she never brushed him and his hair was getting long, she really did care about him jsut didnt know what to do) to a groomer to get the matts taken care of, well when I came and picked him up the groomer though it was my dog (that would have made since lol) and got so mad at me yelling for letting such a nice dog get in such awful shape, it was kinda embaressing even it if wasnt my dog but now what I think about it that was proubly a sign it was a really good groomer if they cared that much to yell at the person giving them the money for not brushing their dog enough.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@May 24 2005, 05:29 PM
That is the clipper set that I have too...and a decent pair of round tip scissors and thinning shears. It works for us with one dog...eventually I would like to upgrade to the Oster clippers and different blades. I think the combs make it look choppy sometimes. I think the blades would make a smoother finish...am I right JMM?

I am sure Maya looks great...she will probably decide she likes the new cut for summer.
Sometimes it is not as bad of a cut, as it is just a shock to us at the difference. :D Can't wait to see pictures.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64941
[/QUOTE]

Walmart or other inexpensive clippers don't last and just don't cut that well. I would purchase a good pair of clippers and the appropriate blades for what you want to do. I prefer Andis clippers. I recently got to use a pair of Laube clippers and liked those, too, but only used them briefly. Any of the Andis AG or AGC corded clippers are nice. If you have one pet, Arco Moser cordless might be a good choice. They won't hold up long term and the blade and combs do leave you a bit limited.

If you use a snap on comb, you need to use a #30 or #40 blade underneath it. On a really silky coat, go up a 1/4 inch on the comb from the length you want and cut against the grain of the coat (from bum towards head). NEVER do this with a blade.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by JMM+May 24 2005, 09:15 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@May 24 2005, 05:29 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64941
Walmart or other inexpensive clippers don't last and just don't cut that well. I would purchase a good pair of clippers and the appropriate blades for what you want to do. I prefer Andis clippers. I recently got to use a pair of Laube clippers and liked those, too, but only used them briefly. Any of the Andis AG or AGC corded clippers are nice. If you have one pet, Arco Moser cordless might be a good choice. They won't hold up long term and the blade and combs do leave you a bit limited.

If you use a snap on comb, you need to use a #30 or #40 blade underneath it. On a really silky coat, go up a 1/4 inch on the comb from the length you want and cut against the grain of the coat (from bum towards head). NEVER do this with a blade.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64976
[/B][/QUOTE]

I will probably ask for more help again if and when I get new clippers! :lol: I will never remember all that you have said in all your posts! :D I will agree that my Walmart set doesn't cut as well now as it did when I bought it almost a year ago...so maybe a better model is what I need.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
A co-worker just went through that with her little Yorkie. Poor Sugar hadn't been groomed in so long her mats were terrible. The groomer told her since the mats were so close to the skin and skin is loose, she might very well get cut badly enough to need stitches no matter how careful she was. She also gave Nancy the same lecture about not taking better care of such a beautiful dog.

I lectured her too and made her promise to get Sugar groomed every 8 weeks or so. She's an attorney and buys high end designer things for herself and pays big bucks for her own haircuts, highlighting, so there is no excuse to not care for Sugar. She grew up with Yorkies so she knew beforehand that they require regular grooming.

She also let Sugar go through 2 heats before getting spayed because she keep "forgetting" to make the appointment!!!!!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I'm a BAD groomer but heck... i'm too worried to have anyone else do Kodie's hair. I recently cut all his body hair off because of MATTS and I didnt really use a razor. I used sissors and just cut away! Kodie's so tiny using sissors didnt take me too long at all!! haha... It's not perfect but oh well.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Kodie@May 25 2005, 06:04 AM
I'm a BAD groomer but heck... i'm too worried to have anyone else do Kodie's hair.  I recently cut all his body hair off because of MATTS and I didnt really use a razor.  I used sissors and just cut away!  Kodie's so tiny using sissors didnt take me too long at all!! haha... It's not perfect but oh well. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65029
[/QUOTE]

yeah you dont realize how FAST they can get bad mats, I mean it literally happened overnight. She hates hernew do but she has been wearing her tee still which looks cute on her and im excited that she wont get matted and can wear clothes. In a few weeks she wont be able to

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Be careful using thinning shears as that can really cause terrible matting when the hair grows in. I use them very seldomly, just maybe to blend a little.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts