Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
it's 7:30 AM here, dh has been at his brothers for a week:chili: I have had the most wonderful ME time:wub: I know that sounds selfish, before dh retired I always had time to myself, even when my kids were young I made sure they went to bed early 8:00 on school nights, when they were in their teens they also needed me time so I always had a couple hours to myself. But after dh retired I never had time for myself:blink: I would try but he always wanted to know where I was, what I was doing, it has gotten to the place where I was hardly driving:unsure: because we go everywhere together. Now I'm one who REALLY needs time alone. I love to spend time sewing, messin around the house, reading and praying and having quiet time. I love soft music but never get to listen to it because dh has a hearing problem and says he can't hear the words to the songs.:huh: and when I want to watch TV heaven forbid using the remote control :w00t:
so this ME time has been so very special for me, it's early morning the girls are still asleep in my bed, and I am enjoying this time so much, it's so quiet and my spirit is at peace. Thank you Lord.
Today I pick dh up at 11:00, it will be good to be back together doing our routinue, I have missed him a itty biitty bit lol
I just feel so loved by God that he would give me this time to unwind and refresh my soul. Do you need ME time also

PS I do cherish my time with my husband and am so thankful God has blessed us with being able to retire and spend our last years with one another, so please don't think I don't want to be with dh. (but there are times LOL)

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
That sounds lovely, Paula. I completely understood - it's a blessing to have our loved ones around us but we all need a little time to ourselves now and then. I definitely need a lot of ME time (except now it's "Bailey and me" time haha). Enjoy!

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
It's nice that you had a weeks worth of Me time. Everyone needs time just for themselves.

In my case, I have just a little too much Me time and it drives me crazy :smpullhair:. I am a little bored bored with myself :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I absolutely know the feeling. My DH works from home and we are now living in a downtown apt. So you can imagine how much we are on top of each other. Especially as we don't really hardly know anyone else. He is off back to Ottawa for 6 days for his Dad's and his birthday, I opted to stay home ;)

I have always been the same too. My children always had an early bedtime, 6pm was their bedtime when they were little. I can't remember when that time changed up until 7, then 8 etc. I think it was good for them too. They were always allowed to read in bed, but were supposed to stay in it...... Lol they kinda did mostly.

·
Premium Member
24,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's nice that you had a weeks worth of Me time. Everyone needs time just for themselves.

In my case, I have just a little too much Me time and it drives me crazy :smpullhair:. I am a little bored bored with myself :biggrin:

You are so right, sometimes we get to much of a good thing. I need to apprieate what I have and not want more

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Paula,

My PA said that when women come to see her around a certain age (retirement) and suddenly complain about being stressed, tired, overwhelmed, etc. - the first question to her patient is - "has your husband recently retired by chance!?!"

Men! You can’t live with them - and most certainly can live w/o them (just kidding, well, sort-of) -

I think that everyone needs "me time" - it’s healthy, fun and rewarding.

Have a good day,

Allie

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
I understand exactly what you mean Paula. I also need my "me" time or alone time,as I call it. It's a must have for me,like recharging my batteries.:innocent:

·
Premium Member
4,130 Posts
so nice you have been getting some ME time, Paula.
i also need time to myself!

i saw a bumper sticker:

"retirement: half the money, twice the husband":HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Paula your DH was in law enforcement right? You know my hubby is a State Trooper so one of the perks with the job is the time I get to myself. Sometimes it's not a perk (like spending weekends alone, or laying in bed by myself during a thunderstorm if he is working nights) but other times it's great. I get lots of time for ME to read, watch girly tv shows, etc. So I can imagine that you must miss that time to yourself. It's a big adjustment. I always think how strange it would be if my DH worked a day job. It would be bizarre to see him every single day! I guess you get used to the loneliness and after it's gone you find yourself missing it a little bit. I'm glad you got a little bit of that this morning and ENJOYED it! You deserve it Paula.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Paula - I'm so glad you've had a little time to do, and not do, exactly what you want, when you want.:chili: I know how important prayer is to you and I would think the best prayers come when you can just focus on them alone, without any distractions. Though I must say you do come up with the most beautiful fitting prayers I've ever heard all the time.
I really think that we all need time for ourselves. I work with my DH and sometimes in the same home office, aka our den, in our apt. Talk about too close for comfort.:w00t: I like him home at times but then am happy when he's at a client for long stretches of time.B)
And I've been traveling so much lately that I've gotten in my me time when I'm away. I like to get to a city early if at all possible, maybe go to a museum or sightsee, find a really good restaurant to eat at alone, and chill out in my hotel room with a book or THE REMOTE :chili: and rent a pay per view movie. No DH, no DS and even no Tyler (just the feeding, puppy pad removing, butt cleaning, grooming parts - otherwise I wish he was with me:HistericalSmiley:). So i'm usually really pooped after my shoots but have tried to get a little me time in. I also find that even though I'm married it's really important to have GF time and get together to go to dinner or go someplace with my girlfriends -that's another me time. I hate women who give up their single, women friends because they're married. I look forward to get togethers like a little treat.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
paula im soo glad you got ur me time !! i agree with susan sooo much , i think everyone needs their alone time.. i just posted yesterday on my facebook status that i have come to the conclusion that my favorite time of day is lunchtime... why ppl might ask , well i work by union sq park n for lunch i go eat there everyday , i love being alone , thinking , reading , ppl watching , just being able to be alone .. some ppl ask me out for lunch and sometimes i decline just because i want n crave that alone time where its only me n my thoughts , soo i definitely understand paula what u mean ... i work in a big company with alot of ppl , i go home n theres four kids ,a fluff n my bf at times,, oo n did i mention all my nieces n nephews and my daughters friends, its always a full apartment , so i treasure those times where im able to take a bubble bath , or when the house is empty n i can actually hear the silence ... ahhhh i understood u perfectly..

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
Oh, Paula, i am so happy that you are getting some ME time! You are so deserving of it.

I had been forwarned by a close friend to be prepared for a big adjustment when Felix retired. Oh, my ... was she ever right. :HistericalSmiley:

To tell you the truth, I couldn't wait until Felix retired. I was on edge every day after 9/11 when he had to go to work in Washington, D.C. I always worried that the IRS would be a terrorist target. Felix would leave for work a little after five o'clock in the morning ... and, not get home until around seven o'clock in the evening. He was on flex-time (or whever they call it ... I forgot) so, he would have an extra day off every other week. However, the days were very long. So, again, I counted the days until he retired ... it seemed like forever at the time.

Well, then he retired. And, all I can say is ...what an adjustment we had to make!

I love to have a home that is neat and tidy. Things do not have to be perfectly in place ... but, I don't like things thrown all over here and there. But, he is different in that way. :blink: However, if someone is coming to visit ... I must say that he helps me get things in order. But, we don't have company that often right now.

And, the newspaper ... oh, dear. I never imagined that someone could drive me crazy with the ruffling sounds he can make with the newspaper ... or, any kind of paper for that matter! One day I was trying to read something at the kitchen table while he was making so much noise with the newspapers. I suddenly lost it! I just said in a raised voice ... "Please stop it! You are driving me nuts!" He replied ... "What am I doing?" :HistericalSmiley:

And, when I want to write checks for the bills, or I am reading something, or trying to send a post ... then, why then? ... is it that he decides he wants to ask me questions or talk! It never seems to be when I have the time to sit down and listen and hold a conversation! :w00t: Men.

As someone else on here said ... "We can't live with them ... and, we can't live without them!" I know most men feel the same way about us. :HistericalSmiley:

I wouldn't trade Felix for any other man in for the world. He is a devoted and loving husband. But, as for right at the moment ... I appreciate my ME time. He is at the library right now where he volunteers. :chili::chili:

In all fairness to Felix, I know he deserves some ME time, too. And, I, too, cherish my husband. He is a keeper and I love him with all of my heart. :wub:

Honestly, just the other day I told Felix that I wish I could get away alone for a week's vacation. Like Bora Bora ... that would be nice. :HistericalSmiley: But, I really don't want to vacation by myself. Well, especially without Snowball. :wub:

The past several years, I have sent Felix on his way out to Tucson for a week to see his mother. And, I enjoyed the ME time here with Snowball. The house is then straightened up the way I like it. The sound of noisy newspapers is gone. I can plan to eat the things he does not like. I can read or write without being interrupted by silly questions. Oh, I could go on and on. :HistericalSmiley: But, I'm so happy to see him when he comes back home. And, during his whole visit, we talk on the phone at least twice a day. Even with the airline flights ... we keep in touch when he takes off, transfers, and lands.

So, Paula, I'm happy that you got to enjoy every single moment of your ME time! It's almost like savoring each and every moment of a fine dessert! :chili::chili::chili:

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Paula -- I think we're twins -- and that we married the same guy. LOL:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

When we moved to New Mexico and I decided to retire, Jerry and I were together all day and all night -- TOTAL TOGETHERNESS. He was always interrupting me from my projects, and we too went everywhere together (errands, shopping, everything. :w00t: I was going crazy.

I couldn't stand it anymore, so I found an 8:00 - 5:00 job just so that I could have some ME time -- either here at the office or on my drive to and from work. I could also do errands at lunch or after work on my way home -- without DH.

Now that Jerry isn't able to live here anymore, I do truly miss him, but I still enjoy my ME time. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Oh, Paula, i am so happy that you are getting some ME time! You are so deserving of it.

I had been forwarned by a close friend to be prepared for a big adjustment when Felix retired. Oh, my ... was she ever right. :HistericalSmiley:

To tell you the truth, I couldn't wait until Felix retired. I was on edge every day after 9/11 when he had to go to work in Washington, D.C. I always worried that the IRS would be a terrorist target. Felix would leave for work a little after five o'clock in the morning ... and, not get home until around seven o'clock in the evening. He was on flex-time (or whever they call it ... I forgot) so, he would have an extra day off every other week. However, the days were very long. So, again, I counted the days until he retired ... it seemed like forever at the time.

Well, then he retired. And, all I can say is ...what an adjustment we had to make!

I love to have a home that is neat and tidy. Things do not have to be perfectly in place ... but, I don't like things thrown all over here and there. But, he is different in that way. :blink: However, if someone is coming to visit ... I must say that he helps me get things in order. But, we don't have company that often right now.

And, the newspaper ... oh, dear. I never imagined that someone could drive me crazy with the ruffling sounds he can make with the newspaper ... or, any kind of paper for that matter! One day I was trying to read something at the kitchen table while he was making so much noise with the newspapers. I suddenly lost it! I just said in a raised voice ... "Please stop it! You are driving me nuts!" He replied ... "What am I doing?" :HistericalSmiley:

And, when I want to write checks for the bills, or I am reading something, or trying to send a post ... then, why then? ... is it that he decides he wants to ask me questions or talk! It never seems to be when I have the time to sit down and listen and hold a conversation! :w00t: Men.

As someone else on here said ... "We can't live with them ... and, we can't live without them!" I know most men feel the same way about us. :HistericalSmiley:

I wouldn't trade Felix for any other man in for the world. He is a devoted and loving husband. But, as for right at the moment ... I appreciate my ME time. He is at the library right now where he volunteers. :chili::chili:

In all fairness to Felix, I know he deserves some ME time, too. And, I, too, cherish my husband. He is a keeper and I love him with all of my heart. :wub:

Honestly, just the other day I told Felix that I wish I could get away alone for a week's vacation. Like Bora Bora ... that would be nice. :HistericalSmiley: But, I really don't want to vacation by myself. Well, especially without Snowball. :wub:

The past several years, I have sent Felix on his way out to Tucson for a week to see his mother. And, I enjoyed the ME time here with Snowball. The house is then straightened up the way I like it. The sound of noisy newspapers is gone. I can plan to eat the things he does not like. I can read or write without being interrupted by silly questions. Oh, I could go on and on. :HistericalSmiley: But, I'm so happy to see him when he comes back home. And, during his whole visit, we talk on the phone at least twice a day. Even with the airline flights ... we keep in touch when he takes off, transfers, and lands.

So, Paula, I'm happy that you got to enjoy every single moment of your ME time! It's almost like savoring each and every moment of a fine dessert! :chili::chili::chili:
OMG Marie. I think we're all married to the same guy!! :new_shocked: I burst out laughing as I was reading about the newspaper -- how noisy and long can it take them to read it anyway? And picking the times to talk when I really don't want to vs the 95% of other times when it would be fine. And don't get me started on the tidy factor. DH is bad but my 20 year old son who's home from college...for good.. boy, genius has managed to do 4 years of college in 2 so he's home.:w00t::w00t: I think a Master's Degree would be nice so his room could look like a museum again :biggrin: instead of a landfill.:yucky: And I have to keep his door closed so Tyler doesn't go in and steal pens, tissues, etc. :smpullhair::smpullhair: I love them both dearly but sometimes :hysteric:
I think there's a car ad now that has a woman hanging out in her minivan -- some me time away from the family. I might have to try that.:bysmilie: Remember those Calgon "take me away" commercials? I get it!

·
Premium Member
24,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
my me time is over now:smcry: dh is back, there goes the remote control:blush: and quiet times:unsure: no more clean as a pin house:huh:
BUTTTTTTTT I now have my dh back,:wub: :smootch:he can take over watering plants, mowing, paying bills ......... and doing all the man jobs:whistle: :HistericalSmiley:,the girls and I are very spoiled,:innocent: (well maybe the girls:mellow:) they are lovin every moment of it:chili::eek:k:

·
Premium Member
24,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Paula your DH was in law enforcement right? You know my hubby is a State Trooper so one of the perks with the job is the time I get to myself. Sometimes it's not a perk (like spending weekends alone, or laying in bed by myself during a thunderstorm if he is working nights) but other times it's great. I get lots of time for ME to read, watch girly tv shows, etc. So I can imagine that you must miss that time to yourself. It's a big adjustment. I always think how strange it would be if my DH worked a day job. It would be bizarre to see him every single day! I guess you get used to the loneliness and after it's gone you find yourself missing it a little bit. I'm glad you got a little bit of that this morning and ENJOYED it! You deserve it Paula.

Tammy I think you might be right,:yes: I was use to all the free time alone, it was terrible during holidays and weekends alone with the kids. I don't think most people realize what it is like being married to someone in law enforcement, we worry about their safety and the stress they have to endure, I was so thankful when dh was promoted to day shifts
one day your dh might end up on dayshift it's really strange having them home at night after all the years of swing or grave yard shifts. Get ready to hand over the remote:HistericalSmiley:
Gosh I had almost forgotten those years.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Oh my gosh you reassure me. I thought I was turning in a grumpy old lady because my DH gets on my nerves sometimes. Glad to hear I am not alone. And that I am still normal. I sent him shopping to get some Me time (instead of me doing the shopping, I prefer to stay home). First thing we do when he leaves, TURN OFF THE TV. And then we appreciate the silence.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts