Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Simba
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

My husband and I have never owned a Maltese before. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! We got Simba on 2/13/21. He is 11 weeks old today. He was born on 12/02/20. He was 2.8 lbs on 2/2/21 (8 weeks old) so we are wondering approximately how much he will weigh when he is full size. Breeder said around 5 lbs.
We lost our 13 yr old Yorkie, Angel in Oct of 2019 and our 15 1/2 year old Yorkie, Baby Bear in Sep of 2020.
We are having MAJOR adjustments getting him used to a crate at night without whining and crying ALL night. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!
We haven't had a puppy in over 13 years...
Thanks. Dawn

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Omgosh 🤗 so stinking cute. I love that first picture! Welcome 💐

·
Premium Member
Paulann & Abella
1,218 Posts
Welcome to SM! I am sorry for your loss of Baby Bear last September. I know Simba will never replace Baby Bear but he will definitely fill new nooks and crannies in your heart and create many new wonderful memories. I'm sure you've already learned that maltese are the best companions ever. They love being with you. My only suggestion that may help with the crying all night in his crate would be to put the crate right beside your bed. That way he can smell you and hear you breath (or snore/whatever) and he will know you are right there. I did this with Abella and it really helped her. Some nights I would even sing to her and put my arm down so it would rest on her crate. Perhaps this would be worth a try with Simba. Just be consistent and have patience. Maltese are smart and he will learn your routine. Love the puppy stage - it passes so very quickly. I will be watching for an update as to his progress....and lots more pictures! Again A big SM welcome! Please stay active on here so we can get to know you and Simba so much better.
🐶 🐾🌷

·
Registered
Bella (mom = Fahreen)
42 Posts

My husband and I have never owned a Maltese before. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! We got Simba on 2/13/21. He is 11 weeks old today. He was born on 12/02/20. He was 2.8 lbs on 2/2/21 (8 weeks old) so we are wondering approximately how much he will weigh when he is full size. Breeder said around 5 lbs.
We lost our 13 yr old Yorkie, Angel in Oct of 2019 and our 15 1/2 year old Yorkie, Baby Bear in Sep of 2020.
We are having MAJOR adjustments getting him used to a crate at night without whining and crying ALL night. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!
We haven't had a puppy in over 13 years...
Thanks. Dawn
Oh gosh, Simba is ADORABLE! Congratulations! I was born and raised for a few years in Tanzania and our guard dog was named Simba :) Anyway, we brought our lil Maltese Bella home at 9-weeks. She’s now 10months old (6.2lbs full grown) and I swear, I’ve come to love her more than my two teens - yikes! Bella cried & whined when we brought her home :( The only thing that helped crate train her was that my teens took turns sleeping right next to her crate on the floor on a mattress. After about 10-days, she started to relax and that’s when we’d leave the kids t-shirts in the crate next to her. At around 6m old, Bella was on my daughters bed!!! Now, she won’t even touch the crate 🙈 It’s heart breaking when they cry like that. I personally think these babies need to remain with their moms till at least 12’ish weeks old. Good luck with Simba and keep sharing photos :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts