Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Alfie is a 3 year old ‘purebred’ Maltese. I never questioned his breed until I realized he is now 13 pounds. I read the typical weight is 6-8 pounds. When he was 10 weeks he was 3 pounds. He is such an intelligent interesting pal to have, he is always making me laugh. Does anyone have any input if you think he is truly purebred? Looking at other pictures he looks exactly the way he is supposed to but wasn’t sure because of his weight.
Felidae Carnivore Whiskers Small to medium-sized cats Grey
Dog Comfort Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog
Dog Mammal Carnivore Wood Comfort
Dog Laptop Dog breed Carnivore Comfort
Dog Comfort Carnivore Felidae Small to medium-sized cats

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Toy dog

· Super Moderator
10,527 Posts
Welcome! While 4 - 6 pounds is the breed standard, many Maltese exceed that standard for a number of reasons including genetics. I know of a couple of highly reputable breeders who occasionally have a dog that approaches 10 pounds or more; they are purebred but genetics just worked out that way.

Enjoy your healthy pup!

· Premium Member
2,479 Posts
He is so cute! 💓
My first Maltese, with 5 generation AKC pedigree, was on the larger side, especially before I stopped indulging his taste for food and treats! :) My vets said for their purposes, they preferred them larger.

There's no way to know for sure without having a DNA test. But your guy is sooo cute, I wouldn't worry about it. Use what you would spend on a test for some toys or cute clothes. 😊

· Registered
Maltese
3 Posts
Hi! Alfie is a 3 year old ‘purebred’ Maltese. I never questioned his breed until I realized he is now 13 pounds. I read the typical weight is 6-8 pounds. When he was 10 weeks he was 3 pounds. He is such an intelligent interesting pal to have, he is always making me laugh. Does anyone have any input if you think he is truly purebred? Looking at other pictures he looks exactly the way he is supposed to but wasn’t sure because of his weight. View attachment 276445 View attachment 276446 View attachment 276447 View attachment 276444 View attachment 276448
View attachment 276449
Hi Alfie, so cute

1 - 5 of 5 Posts