Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D After a six month search for the perfect sibling for Sylphide, we finally found the PERFECT companion: Shrek We brought him home last night. Although he looks like a six month old Malt because he weighs a whopping 5 1bs at 13 weeks, he's only a baby--available due to his larger than standard size (his mom weighs 9.5 1bs and his dad is half that size).

We were looking for a larger Malt because Sylphide is a rough and tumble 9. 5 lbs, just like Shrek's mom (even though both Sylphide's parents weighed in at about 5 lbs).

Shrek was home raised with a family in which both mom and dad were in the home, and his mom is exactly the same size and temperament as Sylphide--so he is so comfortable with her already. They are a perfect, perfect pair!!!

Sylphide was a little shocked to see a new little fellow come home, but she soon got over it! They are getting along great already, playing up a storm downstairs, sharing food, sharing toys, sharing laps. Ozzy has decided to ignore him for now, beyond the occasional sniff, in his usual fashion. Shrek's integration into our family should be seamless...

Shrek loves his new life. He slept like a baby on our bed with us, just waking up once to potty and have a drink, very content. Sylphide slept right next to him as if it were always so. When Shrek woke up, it was to climb over my husband and I with kisses and hugs. Sylphide, of course, had to jump in, so we had lots of Maltese love this morning. Right now they are both hanging out with me in my study. Life is good...

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Congratulations!!!

That is just wonderful news! They are both just two cutie-pies.

Gosh, believe me you are very lucky to have basically no adjustment period. I'm envious!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
OMG!!!! Tooo CUTE!!! I'm jealous! My bf's dogs name is Shrek too. It was the movie we saw on our 1st date.
I love Sylphide's pics and now Shrek's too!!! They are adorable together, and it's great to hear how well they are getting along. Congrats!!!!
I'm glad to hear that Shrek loves his new family!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a larger maltese as well and am looking for another larger size baby to buy this summer. Too bad you're all the way in New York! He's a cutie!

Lexieluther

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Feb 25 2005, 12:04 PM
Congratulations!!!
Gosh, believe me you are very lucky to have basically no adjustment period. I'm envious!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37687
[/QUOTE]

Thanks. K/C's mom! Better yet--he's already wee-wee pad trained! Yahoo!

I think the key to seamless integration was the careful search for a perfect size/temperament match. Sylphide is a very bossy bully, and would just squash a passive small Maltie. Shrek's mom, Minnie, is just like Sylphide--they look identical and act very much alike.

Sylphide is definitely at a disadvantage with him--he's used to beating up on his mom Minnie and knows all the ambush tricks. He loves to grab Sylphide's ponytails and long ears :) She has finally met her match!

Awww. they are playing tug of war with the new weanie dog toy right now...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Caesar's Mommy and LittlePeanut: We really like having the 2 S names.

The little boy in Shrek's breeder's family named him. My husband and I liked Shrek, as well as:

Stroumpf (French for Smurf)
Smurf

Shrek already knows his name and comes when called, etc...so we decided to keep it!!!

Since Sylphide is a mythical forest creature, we were trying to stay with that theme...all three of our options fit that criteria :D

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Aww...congrats! He is a cutie!

Still jealous of all the new 2nd babies though...

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Wowie! Another new baby. Love the name and the photos. How's he doing at night?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by SylphidesMom@Feb 25 2005, 11:26 AM
Caesar's Mommy and LittlePeanut:  We really like having the 2 S names.

The little boy in Shrek's breeder's family named him.  My husband and I liked Shrek, as well as:

Smurf

Shrek already knows his name and comes when called, etc...so we decided to keep  it!!!

Since Sylphide is a mythical forest creature, we were trying to stay with that theme...all three of our options fit that criteria :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37701
[/QUOTE]
Too cute!!! I love all of your reasons for Shrek's name. Love your theme!!!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by SylphidesMom+Feb 25 2005, 11:20 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Feb 25 2005, 12:04 PM
Congratulations!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37687
Thanks. K/C's mom! Better yet--he's already wee-wee pad trained! Yahoo!

I think the key to seamless integration was the careful search for a perfect size/temperament match. Sylphide is a very bossy bully, and would just squash a passive small Maltie. Shrek's mom, Minnie, is just like Sylphide--they look identical and act very much alike.

Sylphide is definitely at a disadvantage with him--he's used to beating up on his mom Minnie and knows all the ambush tricks. He loves to grab Sylphide's ponytails and long ears :) She has finally met her match!

Awww. they are playing tug of war with the new weanie dog toy right now...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37697
[/B][/QUOTE]

I think the "problem" with K & C's adjustment is that Kallie is very shy. She loves to play hard, etc. but is just so terribly sweet that even though Catcher "tortures" her she has never ever snapped at him or put him in his place. He is very, very cocky and sure of himself. He totally struts when he walks.....
She was actually afraid of him when he first arrived... all 2.8 pounds of him... He's 7.5 now and she is 9.5...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Feb 25 2005, 12:31 PM
Wowie!  Another new baby.  Love the name and the photos.  How's he doing at night?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37705
[/QUOTE]

We were amazed at how well he did! He was used to sleeping in a pen in the kitchen and his mom and dad have crates. We, however, don't pen or crate, and Sylphide has been sleeping on our bed (Ozzy can sleep in the bedroom with us but prefers my study, which is his favorite room).

When we put Shrek on the bed with us at bedtime, he just settled right down. Not a whine nor a stir. He slept like a baby on our bed with us, just waking up once to potty and have a drink, very content. Sylphide slept right next to him as if it were always so. When Shrek woke up, it was to climb over Raul and I with kisses and hugs. Sylphide, of course, had to jump in, so we had lots of Maltese love this morning.

We feel sooooooo lucky! The first nights with Sylphide were much harder. Plus, she took a while to pad train, and Shrek is already pad trained.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yet ANOTHER new baby!! I don't know how you guys do it with more than 1 fur baby. Sisse is just such a handful, I can't imagine having another one!! Congratulations to your expanding family!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by SylphidesMom@Feb 25 2005, 10:26 AM
Caesar's Mommy and LittlePeanut:  We really like having the 2 S names.

The little boy in Shrek's breeder's family named him.  My husband and I liked Shrek, as well as:

Smurf

Shrek already knows his name and comes when called, etc...so we decided to keep  it!!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37701
[/QUOTE]
Cute! :D

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Feb 25 2005, 12:51 PM
I think the "problem" with K & C's adjustment is that Kallie is very shy. She loves to play hard, etc. but is just so terribly sweet that even though Catcher "tortures" her she has never ever snapped at him or put him in his place. He is very, very cocky and sure of himself. He totally struts when he walks.....
  She was actually afraid of him when he first arrived... all 2.8 pounds of him...  He's 7.5 now and she is 9.5...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37713
[/QUOTE]

Awwwww, poor Kallie!!! Since we already have a bossy bully, we just knew that we had to make sure that the second one was also a fiesty fighter. In your case, it would have been so hard to tell in advance. Sylphide and Shrek both sound a lot like Catcher :D

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
How exciting!! Wow~and so so cute!! I can just imagine how much fun you are having right now!!
Does Sylphide still give you lots of attention or is it all about the new baby? It sounds like they are the perfect match-good for you!!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by RubyJeansmom@Feb 25 2005, 01:16 PM
How exciting!! Wow~and so so cute!! I can just imagine how much fun you are having right now!! 
  Does Sylphide still give you lots of attention or is it all about the new baby?  It sounds like they are the perfect match-good for you!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37720
[/QUOTE]

She is still as loving with us as ever, in fact, perhaps even more so. This morning she claimed my chest and just smothered me with attention
Both of them keep coming up to both my husband and I for snuggles and kisses.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by SylphidesMom+Feb 25 2005, 12:20 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-RubyJeansmom
@Feb 25 2005, 01:16 PM
  Does Sylphide still give you lots of attention or is it all about the new baby?  It sounds like they are the perfect match-good for you!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37720
She is still as loving with us as ever, in fact, perhaps even more so. This morning she claimed my chest and just smothered me with attention
Both of them keep coming up to both my husband and I for snuggles and kisses.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37721
[/B][/QUOTE]

I know what you mean about being even more loving and better than ever. Kallie actually is a much, much better dog now that Catcher is here. She is like the goody-goody big sister and will sit so perfectly watching him misbehave and look so smug when I shake my finger at him in mock anger. It is too funny.

Having two is great... so many kisses... In the morning I am smothered, also. Kallie has gotten a bad habit of sticking her tongue in my eye... I have to say, I hate that... But mornings with tons of kisses and love are the best.

I'm so glad things are working out so well for you all and precious Shrek.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Feb 25 2005, 12:26 PM
Kallie has gotten a bad habit of sticking her tongue in my eye... I have to say, I hate that... 
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37723
[/QUOTE]

Ha ha...
Brinkley likes to lick the inside of my nose!
If I opened my mouth, he would lick there too!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts