Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everyone!

This weekend I am meeting a 1 1/2 yr old maltese that needs to be rescued. I know that rescued dogs have special needs, and I have been doing tons of research over the past year to try to prepare myself.

Background: He is 18 months old, and was purchased by a "breeder" to breed with her toy poodles- the poodles don't like him. For the past 2 months he has been living virtually alone in a utility room, totally away from the other dogs and all the family activity.

I know no matter what I will want to take him and get him away from those people. But I am trying very hard to control myself- and do whats best for me, my husband and this little guy. I will not be taking him this weekend- we are about to move into a new house, and I don't want him to be stressed by two moves in a short period. If the conditions are awful- I will take him right away. But I heard from someone who saw him and said he is mostly just not getting enough attention, he isn't abused or physically neglected.

Does anyone have any suggestions on things I need to specifically look for when we meet him? She says his shots are up to date, and I have requested she have a copy of his medical records when we meet on Sunday.

The woman emailed me this picture

He doesn't look too bad- he just looks like he needs a good bath, some good food, and lots of love and attention.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Congratulations on considering adopting a rescue dog! I haven't had a puppy or kitten in 25 years ever since I discovered how many wonderful adults dogs and cats need homes. I adopted my Maltese Lady at age 4 after her first owner tied her outside for 3 days without food or water and left her to die because she'd started having seizures.

As you said, rescue dogs are "special needs" dogs. Here's a link to a wonderful bunch of articles on rescue dogs.

http://www.wonderpuppy.net/rescue.htm

A must-have book for anyone adopting a rescue is Secondhand Dog by Carol Lea Benjamin.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ladysmom,

I am all about rescues! For over a year I have been searching for a maltese to rescue. I am in Alberta, Canada and this is the first one I have found in my province.

Thank you for the link and the book suggestion. I just ordered the book off of Amazon!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Aww what a little cutie, and what a sad little face his eyes almost
made me start bawling.

I hope that it ends up that this will work for you and you can
turn those frowns upside down.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by MomtwoMaltmuffins@Sep 29 2005, 07:56 PM
BTW just curious this 'breeder' of the toy poodles is she by chance in the Mayerthorpe area?? 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104889
[/QUOTE]

She is about 130 km north of Edmonton. She is more of a backyard breeder- she has three toy poodles. I haven't been there, but from what I have heard the dogs are her pets, and are relatively well taken care of. I think she is someone who needed some money and thought she would get in on the malti-poo craze. I don't think she means harm, I think she just doesn't have enough knowledge.

I am just happy she understands that she isn't giving this guy what he needs- and is willing to give him up.

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
Originally posted by lethalfire@Sep 29 2005, 04:46 PM
Aww what a little cutie, and what a sad little face his eyes almost
made me start bawling.

I hope that it ends up that this will work for you and you can
turn those frowns upside down.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104751
[/QUOTE]
When I saw that little guys eyes, it said it all. I am looking forward to your getting him. The best to you for taking that little guy in. He is so cute.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all! I am already smitten with him. I will let y'all know how it goes on Sunday, I am pretty sure we will agree to take him. And then the long month of waiting will begin.

We just bought a new house, and don't take possession for another month, and I really want to avoid moving him twice.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by Deanna@Sep 29 2005, 11:13 PM
We just bought a new house, and don't take possession for another month, and I really want to avoid moving him twice.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104909
[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't worry about that, I think these babies adjust fine.
We moved Caesar this May, he was at our old apt for a little over a year. I think as long as their mommy and/or daddy are with them, they are A-Ok.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Originally posted by debinmo64@Sep 29 2005, 11:07 PM

Kudos to you for taking in this precious baby! I totally agree with Ceasersmommy about the adjustment. if this baby isnt getting any attention and being shut off from contact of any kind I think it is MUCH better if you get him now. He will be fine with a move as long as he has his new mommy and daddy that will lavish ALL kinds of 
love & attention on him and he has that security. My Cody was a rescue and he adjusted just fine, coming from a home where he was ignored most of the time and kept in his crate (they called it his hole ughh), he thought he was the king when he got here to my house LOL!!! And he should because he is!!! 
I honestly would not wait, when you go to meet him Sunday, just plan on bringing him home! the maltese thrive on attention and if he isn't getting it and has to wait another month, I just wonder what kind of damage that might do to the lil guy! He is beautiful and he needs you NOW!!! Not a month from now....good luck and will be anxiously awaiting to hear how it goes and see pics of him in his new home

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104926
[/QUOTE]
I totally agree--he looks so sad he needs to be with you now-a month is a very long time to be shut in a room. Good luck I hope the best for you and the little sweetheart.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Oh this little boy is just darling!!! I just got my little rescue, "Naddie" a little over two weeks ago. She stole my heart right away.
She was a vicitm of neglect/abuse so does have a couple of issues but we are working with her and already she has improved. She is young too..though we don't know her exact age she is over 1 but the vets feels not too much more.. she stil has a lot of 'puppy" antics.
What is this little boy's name?
I think he would adjust to the home change fine.. it is the "people" in his life that would count not so much the dwelling.

Little Naddie just thrives on the attention.. she LOVES! everybody!!! I'm seriously thinking of seeing about trying to see if she can get certified to be a "therapy" pooch for nursing home.. she would love it I think and she has such a loving and gentle personality I think she would be great for this 'task". ( Will with till next spring to see about this).

Can't wait to hear how it goes... and if you'connect.. I'd say go for it!.. bring him home!!

Terry, Angel Missy, and little Naddie

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I agree with Scrappy.... if you bond with him... take him!! A month is a very long time to a dog and besides... anything could happen to him in that month's time.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will have to see. I really want to take him NOW- but we are living in a rental (no pets) until our house is ready. And I won't be able to take time off of work right now- and I will want to stay wil him a few days when we first get him. If the situation is horrible there, then yes we will figure it out.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I also agree , but I do understand your situation.. It will be kind of hard to hide him if he starts to bark. Do you think they since your moving already if they will make an exception for the last month you are there.
I don't know how they could ingnore that pretty puppy. He will be so happy to come home with you. If possible take him home with you. The reason I say that is you said you think she only cares about the money... What if someone comes along with the money and is ready to take him home right away ? I heard of this happning before were the puppy was promised to someone only for the BYB to give the puppy to the first person that had the money in hand.

I'm sure you will fall in love with him once you meet him and him in love with you.
I wish you all the best

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Deanna@Sep 30 2005, 07:59 AM
I will have to see. I really want to take him NOW- but we are living in a rental (no pets) until our house is ready. And I won't be able to take time off of work right now- and I will want to stay wil him a few days when we first get him. If the situation is horrible there, then yes we will figure it out.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104960
[/QUOTE]

Oh, gosh... I see where you're coming from.... Well, I hope it all works out for you and the little guy!!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I too see the sadness in his eyes...poor little boy being put in a utility room. The only place Teddy wants to be is right beside me...and I bet money that is all this little boy would want too. If you can, bring him home because I would bet millions that moving will not matter to him as long as you are with him....I could move to mars and as long as Teddy is there with me...he would be fine.

I also, would love to see a picture of this little one after a month of living with you....I bet that sadness evaporates pretty darn quick and we will see a whole new sparkle in his eyes.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
She lives about 1.5 hrs from us. So I won't be able to go every day- but I will arrange to go every weekend. I plan on paying her for him, and have already made up a receipt/contract for her to sign. I don't think she will try to sell him to someone else- she seems decent. She knows he isn't getting what he needs, so she is willing to give him to someone who can.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by Chelsey@Sep 30 2005, 07:47 AM
  Do you think they since your moving already if they will make an exception for the last month you are there.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104968
[/QUOTE]
That is a very good point to try to check into.
Or is there someone that you know that will hold him while you wait to move and then you can see him as often as possible and then when you do have a day off you can bring him back to your apt? If you are there with him, you can maybe monitor the barks to keep them down some, I know Caesar goes nuts when he sees the garbage truck out there and also when people walk up the ramp that is by our window to get to their apt. Best of luck to you and I can't wait until this little guy goes home with you!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.