Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<span style="font-family:Times">Peaches is close to the age of when menstuation begins..eek!
. For those of you with female malteses, what do you do? I've seen diaper looking things at petsmart. Is that what theyre suppose to wear? How do they go pee or #2 then? Im so confused
Please help!!!!!!!!!
Id like to be prepared once the time comes. :new_Eyecrazy: :new_Eyecrazy: </span>

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Are you sure you don't want to spay her? She's gonna be one horny girl! LOL

Anyway, I had to use the diaper on Noriko (she's spayed now). You just have to make sure you take them outside or to their pads at the times they will go. Like every 2-4 hrs. You will have to remove the diaper when they go potty.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I really don't want to start anything and this is not a rude comment. But isn't Peaches from a petstore? You really should spay her. I think there are lots of advantages to doing it before the first heat.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Is there any reason you don't want to spay her before her first heat, which will almost certainly prevent any chance of mammary cancer and other potential issues?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I hope no one gets mad at me, but I hate to see someone jumped on about not spaying their dog. That is her decision whether from a pet store or not.

I find that my girls keep themselves VERY clean. I do not have to use diapers for them. But if you do want a diaper (not all dogs will keep themselves clean, I'm sure), you can find some very cute ones on ebay, much less than pet stores sell them for. The pad you purchase separately and attach to the inside of the diaper.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I've heard that its much healthier for a dog to be spayed before they go into heat. I'm sorry, but I cant help you with the rest of your question. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by chloeandj@Jul 13 2005, 07:17 PM
I hope no one gets mad at me, but I hate to see someone jumped on about not spaying their dog. That is her decision whether from a pet store or not.

I find that my girls keep themselves VERY clean. I do not have to use diapers for them. But if you do want a diaper (not all dogs will keep themselves clean, I'm sure), you can find some very cute ones on ebay, much less than pet stores sell them for. The pad you purchase separately and attach to the inside of the diaper.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=81132
[/QUOTE]

You are right. I shouldn't have said anything. I just really can't help myself when something is glaring out at me. I guess I am just a strong believer in spaying/neutering your pets regardless of where they are from. However, in my defense - I think that this forum is for educating ourselves and I feel that it is from these forums that I learn the importance of spaying/neutering pets and I thought I would pass it on.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<span style="font-family:Times">thanks everyone for the advice but Im pretty sure about not spaying her. I will check out ebay for the diapers.
</span>

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by g1enda1e@Jul 13 2005, 10:29 PM
<span style="font-family:Times">thanks everyone for the advice but Im pretty sure about not spaying her. I will check out ebay for the diapers. 
</span>

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=81138
[/QUOTE]

You can get the dippers at pet smart it looks like a jeans panty.

Then you have to by the liner... it is also used for training... when puppy has leaks.
When it happens there is not mess at all but you have to keep your puppy inside.. or all the dogs will be after her and it is not nice.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by chloeandj@Jul 13 2005, 06:17 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=81132
[/QUOTE]

<span style="font-family:Times">I love your ebay store
everything is sooo cute :D . thanks again</span>

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
this is sorta...well...REALLY off topic:

remember when Kotex made those diaper/underwear thingies for girls??

i miss those.

i remember when ellie went through her first period...she got blood on a toy...it was really gross. but she didnt bleed much.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Originally posted by Chelsey+Jul 13 2005, 10:12 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-g1enda1e
@Jul 13 2005, 10:29 PM
</span>

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=81138
You can get the dippers at pet smart it looks like a jeans panty.

Then you have to by the liner... it is also used for training... when puppy has leaks.
When it happens there is not mess at all but you have to keep your puppy inside.. or all the dogs will be after her and it is not nice.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=81153
[/B][/QUOTE]

I have the jean panties from petsmart I'm sure there are cuter ones but these work great. I get cheap womens panty liners and use them they work just as good as the ones made for dogs. You can cut them to the correct size. I would invest in two panties. I dont know if I dont give prissy enough chances or what but she always peepees in her panties.
It works good with two because while ones washing she can still be protected by the other. I lost a pair last time and it was such a pain having to crate her when her panties were washing. Just a bit of help. If your planning on breeding and you have questions feel free to PM me. I have a very open minded about this topic.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I saw those bitches britches on ebay, they look very well made and I'm sure well worth the price. And you're right, there is very little blood.

Also my girls didn't get horny exactly, they only followed our neutered golden retriever around with lovesick puppy eyes for a few weeks. We laughed so hard, because Bo really had no idea why the special treatment!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I dunno much about diapers but I ordered in some cute panties to put over a diaper! I have to admit.. they are cute!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I realize that some of you have already made up your minds not to spay; however, for those who now and in the future may be reading this thread and have questions about this subject, here are links to information that will be helpful to you. There are many benefits to spaying and neutering. These articles delineate those benefits.

Why You Should Spay or Neuter Your Pet

The Benefits of Spaying or Neutering Your Pet

Petfinder - Benefits of Spaying

ESPN - Is Spaying or Neutering For Your Dog?

Dog Breed Info - Spaying and Neutering

Rose Hill Animal Hospital - Benefits of Spaying and Neutering

Can you tell this is another subject I'm passionate about!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I am also passionate on the subject of spaying and neutering!

I think sometimes the decision to not spay or neuter is made before a pet owner knows all the facts and benefits, so here goes:

Spayed and neutered dogs are often times better, more affectionate, companions for the family.

Spayed females are more stable and even-tempered. The female reproduction cycle lasts 6 months. During that cycle the dog goes through frequent hormonal changes that directly influence her behavior. Think of it this way: The premenstrual cycle (PMS) of a female dog lasts several months.

Spaying a female dog eliminates its heat cycle, which can last twenty-one days, twice a year. Females in heat often cry incessantly, show nervous behavior, and attract unwanted male animals.

When your female dog or cats goes into heat, the males for blocks around will know it. Walking her will be like going into battle. Every loose mail dog in the neighborhood will follow, and nothing will drive them away. Your dog will normally come into heat twice a year, and she'll attract males for almost three weeks.

Spayed and neutered pets are less likely to bite. Unaltered animals often exhibit more behavior and temperament problems than those that have been spayed or neutered.

Spayed and neutered dogs live longer and healthier lives.

Spaying female dogs eliminates the possibility of uterine and ovarian cancer as well as it reduces the chances of breast cancer.

Neutering male dogs will reduce the risk of prostrate cancer.

Neutered/spayed dogs are less likely to want to roam and fight.

When your female dog or cats goes into heat, the males for blocks around will know it. Walking her will be like going into battle. Every loose mail dog in the neighborhood will follow, and nothing will drive them away. Your dog will normally come into heat twice a year, and she'll attract males for almost three weeks.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
There are the same risks for humans.

The question was about what to do when a dog goes into season. Altohough you are informative, you're not being informative about the question she asked.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Yes, I don't hink it is a necessary to post about spaying and neutering every chance available. Although it is very important and informative information and I do so appreciate the reason that you do it. I'm glad you are passionate about it. You've done your homework and want others to do the same. But lots of times a person doesn't get the answer they were needing when these types of posts start. One of my first experiences posting here about my female possibly going through a false pregnancy, the first response was about Why isn't your dog spayed? I didn't come back for a while. It is useless to ask questions if you don't get an answer. Lots of people are informed about the benefits of spaying, not everyone is uneducated.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts