Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,

Wondering what's everyone's experience between metal and plastic pens/crates?

I'm getting my pup end of March and starting to do preparation.

I'm finding reviews of the Midwest crates and pens being dangerous for small dogs as their paws can get stuck in them.
Although the number of reports I found are small, there is still a risk.
- Midwest iCrate 24"
- Midwest 30" high pen

Another option I found was to use the IRIS plastic pen and put a soft-crate in it:
- IRIS 34" high pen
- Soft crate

I plan to leave the dog in the pen when I'm not home (with extensions to make a rough 4' x 6' area), and put the crate in it opened so he can go in when sleeping

Any advice from your experiences is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
When I first got Abella I had an expen set up for her with her bed, water bottle, food dish, toys and pee pad set up in it. I still have it set up minus the pee pad (she goes outside now in her "pee pad cabana"). I still keep her expen set up but keep the door open so she goes and comes as she desires.

I also keep a small plastic crate in the kitchen area with a comfy blanket in it and regularly find Abella napping in it. I also used this small crate to put Abella in at night right beside my bed so I could be by her and she me. Of coarse she now has graduated to being my awesome sleeping buddy! :wub:

The first year I'd periodically throw a couple treats inside her bed and the crate so she learned to check them out several times a day. She has always been very treat motivated! :HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

Last summer I brought Abellas expen to my daughters house while I was pet sitting with puppy Saddie Doodle. It gave Abella a retreat safe escape to get away from Saddies constant "bugging her"!! See photo below :OMG!:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
I had both types. The problem I had with the metal one is that my girl could easily slide it across my hardwood floors from jumping on it. There was no grip to it and actually collapsed on her.
The plastic one, as cheap as they are was very sturdy. I prefer the plastic over metal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I first got Abella I had an expen set up for her with her bed, water bottle, food dish, toys and pee pad set up in it. I still have it set up minus the pee pad (she goes outside now in her "pee pad cabana"). I still keep her expen set up but keep the door open so she goes and comes as she desires.

I also keep a small plastic crate in the kitchen area with a comfy blanket in it and regularly find Abella napping in it. I also used this small crate to put Abella in at night right beside my bed so I could be by her and she me. Of coarse she now has graduated to being my awesome sleeping buddy!

The first year I'd periodically throw a couple treats inside her bed and the crate so she learned to check them out several times a day. She has always been very treat motivated!

Last summer I brought Abellas expen to my daughters house while I was pet sitting with puppy Saddie Doodle. It gave Abella a retreat safe escape to get away from Saddies constant "bugging her"!! See photo below
Very cute!

I had both types. The problem I had with the metal one is that my girl could easily slide it across my hardwood floors from jumping on it. There was no grip to it and actually collapsed on her.
The plastic one, as cheap as they are was very sturdy. I prefer the plastic over metal.

Thanks - I'm currently leaning more towards plastic too as they come with rubber feet as well not as risky in terms of the puppy getting a paw stuck in it. I was skeptical about durability but so far seems like most people have said it's very sturdy like you.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Joanne has a good point......Abella is not a jumper so I never had the problem of the metal one collapsing or sliding across the floor. I'm also wondering if the quilted pad that I made for underneath that tied to all the corners helped the expen keep its shape??? :two thumbs up:

I love SM and getting lots of input on topics! :wub:

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
We have always had the metal type of Crates and they have worked very well. We do put a large towel (folded over) underneath the Crate so that the bottom of the Crate does not scratch our flooring. Our two pound little Yorkie (Laci) has no issues being in her Crate overnight and has never gotten one of her little paws caught in between the openings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts