Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mia had to have surgery last week for a fractured femur. Needless to say I was a wreck waiting for her to come out of surgery. The surgeon said that everything went well (except that they shaved the wrong leg prior to surgery) and that once home to keep her activity to a minimum. She doesn't have a cast, just sutures that are not covered so she is wearing a soft collar so she doesn't lick them. I have a playpen for her but a 6 month puppy wants to get out and play so I have been distracting her with toys and holding her alot. Does anyone have experience with this?

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,024 Posts
Sorry no experience, but hoping all goes well.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,898 Posts
Not this exact same thing but our Kitzi had double patella surgery when he was just barely one yr. old. We had postponed getting Lisi already (she was 5 months when we finally got her) so we needed to do it pronto. We put Kitzi in the stroller (12 wks) & Lisi on the floor. She was SO active & a real challenge from the 3rd day on---(& still is). Kitzi wanted nothing to do w/her (now they are joined at the hip). I could push him around to any room where I was working & he was pretty content. The hard part was using a sling so he could go potty! Just stay on top of the meds for as long as they are prescribed & try to stay positive. He did wear a soft-cone which helped. Our stroller had a short leash that was securable.
I put him right at my head-side in the night so I would be awakened if he needed me. It was a long 12 weeks but we got through it.

Reactions: hjg0989

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh, I am so sorry. You and Mia will both be fortunate if the soft cone works. Sophia had to wear a cut doen medium cone to keep her from reaching the stitches in her back leg. She gets the stiches out today after 16 days.

Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mia had to have surgery last week for a fractured femur. Needless to say I was a wreck waiting for her to come out of surgery. The surgeon said that everything went well (except that they shaved the wrong leg prior to surgery) and that once home to keep her activity to a minimum. She doesn't have a cast, just sutures that are not covered so she is wearing a soft collar so she doesn't lick them. I have a playpen for her but a 6 month puppy wants to get out and play so I have been distracting her with toys and holding her alot. Does anyone have experience with this?
Oh, I am so sorry. You and Mia will both be fortunate if the soft cone works. Sophia had to wear a cut doen medium cone to keep her from reaching the stitches in her back leg. She gets the stiches out today after 16 days.

Please keep us posted.
So Sorry that Sophia has stitches. What happened to her?? Update: We just got back from the follow up visit with the surgeon. She said Mia is healing well and sutures are dissolving. She has to go back in 4 weeks for an x-ray to make sure the pin in her leg didn't move and that her activity level can return to normal. Mia now wants to run everyone so trying to keep her activity to walking and taking naps in her playpen.

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,024 Posts
So great Mia is doing well. They are such energetic dogs, it is hard to keep them from running all over.

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Premium Member
LACIE, SUKI & LING LING ❤️❤️❤️
5,880 Posts
Hoping Mia feels better 🙏🏻

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So Sorry about your sweet Mia. I hope she heals quickly and you get some rest.
Thank you. She is coming along and now back to taking her naps and sleeping at night. 3 more weeks and she will get an x-ray to make sure that the pin in her leg didn't move. I will breath better after knowing the results of the xray. :)

·
Registered
Guinevere
1,219 Posts
Oh little Mia...so sorry. hoping she gets better soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts