Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have been in contact with Mia's breeder in Connecticut and will soon be adopting another female puppy for Mia to grow up with. The puppy will be ready for pick up in a couple of weeks (when she is 12-13 weeks old). I am looking for some advice since I have never owned 2 Maltese at the same time (so I'm excited but a little nervous). Mia is 14 months so I'm not sure how she will be with a puppy in the house as she is used to all the attention. For those of you that have more than 1 maltese: Did you separate them for a while in the beginning? Do they tend to share things? I know I need to purchase another harness, leash, food dish but is there some other things that I should get?

·
Premium Member
LACIE, SUKI & LING LING ❤️❤️❤️
6,006 Posts
Congratulations 🥳💐🎉 You will love having another one! Mia is still so young, so I bet it will be an easy transition. I know your supposed to introduce them outside or away from the house but I never did. Ive only had problems with Lacie my eldest( 2 yrs older) when I brought Suki in, but alot of that had to do with Lacie just being DX with pancreatitis, so she was in alot of pain. I did have to separate them for quite awhile because I couldn’t trust Lacie.
Do you think Dina would let you bring Mia over to see how they get along? I cant imagine her not agreeing to that, whereas it would be in the best interest for you and the pups.
Did you give her a name yet?

·
Super Moderator
10,377 Posts
Both of mine are rescues and were older, but I did take Tessa with me to pick up Josie and introduced them on neutral ground. They sniffed each other and then acted like "meh" for a couple of days, and now they play together and are inseparable after just a few months.

When you introduce them, take the cues from the dogs - if they're not interacting but are like "eh, it's a dog" that's not a bad thing. It's great if they play together right off the bat but don't rule them out if they're just giving each other space.

When you do bring home the new puppy, try not to disrupt anything that's been Mia's routine. For example, when we watch TV, Tessa would sit on my lap, so now both Tessa and Josie are on my lap. Tessa still gets as much of my attention as before - I didn't decrease the amount of time spent with her, just adjusted my day so that both girls get equal time.

Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congratulations 🥳💐🎉 You will love having another one! Mia is still so young, so I bet it will be an easy transition. I know your supposed to introduce them outside or away from the house but I never did. Ive only had problems with Lacie my eldest( 2 yrs older) when I brought Suki in, but alot of that had to do with Lacie just being DX with pancreatitis, so she was in alot of pain. I did have to separate them for quite awhile because I couldn’t trust Lacie.
Do you think Dina would let you bring Mia over to see how they get along? I cant imagine her not agreeing to that, whereas it would be in the best interest for you and the pups.
Did you give her a name yet?
Yes, I will be going with Mia to see how she reacts to the puppy which should be good since it will be outside. In my neighborhood, most of the dogs are much bigger than Mia but it doesn't stop her from going over to them with her tail wagging (they tend to ignore her most of the time so I feel bad that she doesn't have a doggie friend to play with). I don't have a name yet but will hopefully come up with one before I meet her. Thanks so much for sharing your experience with Lacie and Suki.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both of mine are rescues and were older, but I did take Tessa with me to pick up Josie and introduced them on neutral ground. They sniffed each other and then acted like "meh" for a couple of days, and now they play together and are inseparable after just a few months.

When you introduce them, take the cues from the dogs - if they're not interacting but are like "eh, it's a dog" that's not a bad thing. It's great if they play together right off the bat but don't rule them out if they're just giving each other space.

When you do bring home the new puppy, try not to disrupt anything that's been Mia's routine. For example, when we watch TV, Tessa would sit on my lap, so now both Tessa and Josie are on my lap. Tessa still gets as much of my attention as before - I didn't decrease the amount of time spent with her, just adjusted my day so that both girls get equal time.

Good luck and have fun!
Thank you so much for your advice and for sharing your experience with Josie and Tessa. I plan to take Mia so I can see how she interacts with the puppy outside of our house. I guess my concern was with how she will react when the puppy comes home and she realizes that she is staying. Mia is used to my attention focused on just her as I work from home so I will try not to disrupt our routine as I can see how that would be upsetting for her. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts