Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning,
I just wanted to get some advice regarding how long after her operation will Mia be back to normal.
She is getting spayed today and I just wanted to know how long I can expect her to be out of it. The vet is keeping her overnight and we can pick her up tomorrow.
She was so happy to go for a ride in the car this morning with her dad but when he dropped her off she looked like she had lost her best friend...poor girl.
Anyway, any advice or information you give will be appreciated.
Thanks....

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Hope everything goes ok. It will probably be worse for you then it is for Mia.

If I remember correctly Lexi was almost back to normal the night after the surgery. Byt the 3rd day she was completely back to normal.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Lamby was already spayed when I got her but I wanted to wish her well! Keep us posted as to how she is.Make sure they give you pain meds.when she is picked up.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
It doesnt take long for them to be back to normal. Take care!

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Mia will be fine! A few days rest and you will never know the difference...

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Can't tell you for sure but I have heard they can be neutured a lot younger then females can get spayed. I would take to your vet and ask him. The earlier it is done the less likely he will start to mark.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks so much for the information and best wishes. I just called the vet and she is out of surgery and is doing great. I'm sure it's worse on me than it is on her. It's really amazing how attached we get to these little fur balls...lol I don't have kids so for now she is my baby.
Just curious also, what is the typical charge for spaying a maltese, I live in Toronto so i was just wondering how much it varies by clinic.
Thanks again....

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Glad to hear she is fine. My vet charges $90 for the spaying & $10 for the pain meds I took home with us. I also had Lexi microchipped, which was $40.

·
Registered
313 Posts
i hope Mia has a speedy and easy recovery.

l.e. just had her spay done friday and it was $80 for the spay, $20 for her hernia, $20 for four teeth to be pulled, and $20 for her pain medication that we took home. so $140 for everything.

as for her recovery, i think that she had much harder time than most other pups. i think with all that she had done, she was in a lot of pain. but by the 4th day she pirked up a bit and started acting like herself. a friend of mine had her pup spayed a little while ago and said that she felt fine the day after with the help of the pain medication of course. Mia will probably be just really groggy and sleepy for the first day or so.

hugs to mia!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello,
Mia is doing fine, it's now 6 days after her surgery and she seems to be healing well. She would not eat her normal food for 2 days but shes eating now.
The only problem that we are having is that her personality has seemed to change. Before she would be around us ALL THE TIME....now she seems to prefer to lie with her teddy bear and sleep or just relax. Has anyone else experienced a personality change after there spay surgery? Perhaps she is just taking it easy becuase her cut is still bothering her???

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Well, one good thing is that she needs to take it easy until the stitches come out. Maybe she is bothered from the feeling that the stitches are there. When they come out she might feel better. What type of stitches does she have.... disolvable, outer, etc.?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Aww, I'm glad all is well with Mia
It's probably better that she is relaxing for now. After she heals up more I'm sure she will return to her old self

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think that might be it, The stiches are inside and dissolvable so she does not have to go back to get them removed, thank goodness...

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
So glad to read she is doing okay. Let her rest, I'm sure she needs it. Lacey was like that the first day and after that she was running all around the house. My vet called the day after surgery to see how she was doing and I told her...she told me Lacey shouldn't be running like crazy, I told her maybe she should tell that to Lacey. My vet laughed and told me to keep an eye on her and if anything should develop to call her.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm so glad to hear that she's doing well.
As for her being a little independent, she probably is just still recooperating and will get back to herself soon. l.e. did something similar and now she's back to normal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts