Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had our yearly exam with Micky's Cardiologist this morning. Micky had a chest X-ray this time around. Micky has a Grade 3 Heart Murmur and this was our yearly check-up. He thinks Micky's heart is stable. No signs of CHF at all, his lungs are clear, no enlargement noted either. He still wants Micky to lose a pound or two. His main concern is Micky's collapsing trachea. He really wants me to watch for Micky's cough. He does cough after barking a lot, or after doing his zoomies sometimes. If his cough gets worse, the vet wants to put a scope down Micky's throat to see more detail. But for now, we're just keeping an eye on it. He gave the go ahead to get his dental done. The regular vet wanted the cardio vet's approval first. So, it was a good visit. We also saw another Maltese there, but she was much smaller than Micky and older I think.

·
Premium Member
17,448 Posts
Becky, that is super news---good job Micky! Now that pound or two---oh weh!
My grand-dog lived to a ripe old age w/a serious heart murmur---lived on affection and love mostly---he was a wee little mite. He was a rescue!
Let us know how the dental goes! Wishing him good recovery!

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Becky - great report on Micky's cardio visit. He kind of sounds like me, minus the collapsed trachea. I have Mitral Valve Prolapse which I think might have been called a murmur back in the day with people. I have to go for regular visits and they used to put me on antibiotics prophylactically when I was getting dental work done. They've now done away with doing that. So glad he'd doing well. So many of our Malts have reverse sneezing when they're really excited though I wouldn't know if it was collapsed trachea or just their small trachs that cause it. Keep up the good work.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
If they gave the go ahead for the dental this is good news. I cannot have a dental done on Alex anymore. He was diagnosed with a heart murmur at the age of 10. He is now 13-½. He is now 4/6 grade murmur with collapsing trachea. We had an x-ray and ultra sound done in spring. His heart was the size of a labrador heart. He is on Analapril, Pimobendan (vetmedin) and lasix and a syrup for the cough. His cough got worse lately and we had another x-ray done last week. His heart is even bigger and he had some fluids around the lungs. He is at the limit with Analapril and Pimobendan. We are giving ½ tablet more of lasix now (4 times a day now). We could have had another ultra sound done but we declined. There is not anything more than can do for him at this point. When he was first diagnosed the vet told us they can manage the disease for about between 2 and 4 years. Well we are close to the 4 years. Why do they want to put a scope down Micky's throat ? My Houston vet never mentioned something like this and I have been here in Arizona to 2 different vets and not one them mentioned something like this. The explanation they give me for the collapsing trachea is that the heart getting bigger is pushing on the trachea and make it collapse. The day there is a rupture it's the end. Surgery at this point is out of the question. When he has his coughing crisis he scares me to death especially in the middle of the night.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Becky, that is super news---good job Micky! Now that pound or two---oh weh!
My grand-dog lived to a ripe old age w/a serious heart murmur---lived on affection and love mostly---he was a wee little mite. He was a rescue!
Let us know how the dental goes! Wishing him good recovery!
I think that's why Alex is still alive. He is hanging in there because of us.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If they gave the go ahead for the dental this is good news. I cannot have a dental done on Alex anymore. He was diagnosed with a heart murmur at the age of 10. He is now 13-½. He is now 4/6 grade murmur with collapsing trachea. We had an x-ray and ultra sound done in spring. His heart was the size of a labrador heart. He is on Analapril, Pimobendan (vetmedin) and lasix and a syrup for the cough. His cough got worse lately and we had another x-ray done last week. His heart is even bigger and he had some fluids around the lungs. He is at the limit with Analapril and Pimobendan. We are giving ½ tablet more of lasix now (4 times a day now). We could have had another ultra sound done but we declined. There is not anything more than can do for him at this point. When he was first diagnosed the vet told us they can manage the disease for about between 2 and 4 years. Well we are close to the 4 years. Why do they want to put a scope down Micky's throat ? My Houston vet never mentioned something like this and I have been here in Arizona to 2 different vets and not one them mentioned something like this. The explanation they give me for the collapsing trachea is that the heart getting bigger is pushing on the trachea and make it collapse. The day there is a rupture it's the end. Surgery at this point is out of the question. When he has his coughing crisis he scares me to death especially in the middle of the night.
He mentioned the scope because it would have a light and a camera, that way he could see exactly where the trachea was collapsing. Whether it was up high in the throat or down near the lungs. He could also gather a sample of mucus to culuture while he was in there with the scope if he wanted to. He said that if he could see inside with a scope he could see wether Micky's trachea was collapsing upon exhaling, or while inhaling. I'm not sure what difference it makes, but he seemed to want to know. He did mention the different treatments, including the cough syrup, and anti-inflamatories, as well as surgery, but he didn't think Micky was anywhere near needing any of those. Since his cough is really pretty mild right now.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Such great news. Micky -- you're doing soooooooooooooo well. What a great Mommy you have. She takes such good care of you. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts