Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i couldnt find the thread of where we were talking about microchipping. it totally sucks, i asked the vet "oh, yeah, you chart $50 per dog, right". he said "no, its 85"
yeah, so i just got paid, and thats where all my money is going. im also going to pay for the blood test the totals going to be $632 something like that. cynthia was like "wait till the 10th so then we know that we wont need that money for emergencies". lol. dogs are expensive!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
150 each for blood panels. since i have them on homecooked foods, then i have to do a blood test to see if they're getting all their vitamins. if they arent--then i'll know if i have to give them more vitamins, or veggies, or fruit...or even meat. each dog is different so i might have to make each meal different.
the test also tells me if their liver is good too(i think). something like that. like i know that gruffi was high on phosphorus so he definitely needs bonemeal in his diet.

i hope that makes sense. im trying to do my homework at the same time. LOL.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
:wacko: Wow, that's REALLY expensive.. I can understand the charge for the blood panels, but $85 for a microchip, that's highway robbery! I'm kinda glad I live in my little town, things tend to be cheaper around here.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Yup! in California pet care is really expensive....

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
OMG that is so expensive for microchipping!

I had Paris microchipped (the brand was HomeAgain too) and it cost me $11. I take Paris to the vet clinic on base so I'm sure it was deeply discounted.

It's a simple procedure, a tech can do it and there is no need to see the doctor. I think it's unjust for them to charge $85 for the service.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
What's so good about microchipping now? Why would that be different from a collar? Cause what I'm thinking is, if anyone finds our babies, there is little to no chance in heck they would try to find the owner. I think more people would be inclined to think "finder's keeper." Yeah, you can tell I have faith in the human race!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Oct 5 2004, 05:21 PM
What's so good about microchipping now?  Why would that be different from a collar?  Cause what I'm thinking is, if anyone finds our babies, there is little to no chance in heck they would try to find the owner.  I think more people would be inclined to think "finder's keeper."  Yeah, you can tell I have faith in the human race!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=11162
[/QUOTE]

My husband's sentiments exactly.

But I try to make sure I did my part in keeping Paris safe and identified. He has collars, tags, and microchipping.

So if that day comes and he is gone from me, I will know that I did everything I could to help him find his way home. If the finder wants to keep him, then I hope Paris will have a good life...

*sniffling at the possibility that will ever happen...*sniffle *sniffle*

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Sorry Paris' mom. Now you can see why I love my babies tons more than lots of people! Maybe the best thing to do is to put them under and tattoo your name and address or Vet's # or whatever on their bellies! That might me more worth it, unless it hurts too much
. I dont know.

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Oct 5 2004, 05:21 PM
What's so good about microchipping now?  Why would that be different from a collar?  Cause what I'm thinking is, if anyone finds our babies, there is little to no chance in heck they would try to find the owner.  I think more people would be inclined to think "finder's keeper."  Yeah, you can tell I have faith in the human race!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=11162
[/QUOTE]

Yes could be finder's keeper and there are many dishonest people out there but there are also good people too. I have also read how, for instance, they have located owners after hurricanes, floods and such when pets get separated and lost and are rescued. There was a family on the morning news just about a month ago that this happened to. If I remember correctly, it was the Today show. There are good and bad out there. I thought it was worth it for that added protection that someone can't just remove it like a collar, and my thinking is that even if someone dishonest found her, if she were to get sick or even if they took her to the vet, that vet may possibly scan her and find that she is stolen or lost. Maybe and maybe not, but I feel better knowing that it may just give her that added chance of getting back home if, God forbid, something does happen.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
PrincessMolly-Hello! You're totally right. That is a good reason to get the microchip. But for me, personally, I don't get floods or hurricanes. I will probably talk to my Vet on if they or other Vets do random scannings or not. And when I hear stories or topics on lost dogs, it reminds me to keep closer eye on them.

I STILL think my tattoo idea is better! At least for me. I'm asian aka. minority, and if, for example, a white person comes in and my dog has some asian last name on it, it would look somewhat suspicious!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't live in a hurricane or flood area either and I don't even let Molly out alone, but there are so many other things that can happen. You can be the most protective and careful pet owner, but you just never know if something can happen beyond your control. With the microchip, your pet is protected nationally. No matter where they may show up in the country they can locate the owner. Would a tattoo do that? I would most definately talk to your vet about the microchip verses a tattoo.

There is also a 2nd article at the today web site about the lost dog that was microchipped and tells a little more about what happened and how he made it back home. Please read them both. It was not a hurricane or any natural disaster that got him lost or stolen.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6172519/

And I don't mean to be disagreeable with you, just trying to help, but where would this tattoo be on the dog? Most likely it's not going to be real noticable under his fur for that white person to even be suspicious about it or even see it and to be honest with you, if I was that person I probably wouldn't be suspicious about it. I may think the name is unusual and question it just out of curiousity but whatever reply the person would give me I would probably accept and be on my way. I'm sure if it is someone dishonest that would have the dog with this tattoo they will either get it removed or they will have some type of story made up for it. For example, they might say that the dog belonged to a friend of theirs that could no longer keep it so they took it in or they are simply are watching it for a friend and that is their friend's name. I don't know. maybe I am wrong, but these are my thoughts on microchipping verses tattoo.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I've heard of the tatooing. They do in on the inside of the dog's back leg. I would talk to your vet about it. Or try doing a search for it on the internet.

I remember reading an article about Microchipping VS. Tattooing. I can't find it now. It said that they used to tattoo in the dogs ear but theifs were cutting off the dogs ear to get rid of the tattoo.

Lexi is never outside by herself or without her collar and tags. When we are in the car she always has her collar on. The reason I got Lexi microchipped is because I think of it as insurance. I hope I never have to use it. But it is there if she does get away. I know I am relying on other people to be honest but I'm hoping that they would see how loved Lexi is and try to find me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts