Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright. So I'm sure a lot of you know Lucy's getting spayed on the 21st, since I mention it every 3rd post or so. :lol: And I was thinking I really don't want to put Lucy under anesthesia more than once if I can help it.. so she's being spayed, teeth removed, and possibly microchipped - best to kill three birds with one stone, right?

Anyways, the microchipping is where my question lies. I live in a 5th floor ocean condominium on a highway. When Lucy goes outside, she ALWAYS has her ID tags on and usually has a leash (unless we're playing on the beach and/or the golf course). Is microchipping necessary? I don't want to make her go through anything else if it's not necessary, but I also don't want some freak accident to occur where my baby (god forbid) gets lost, you know?

I'm leaning towards having her microchipped - better safe than sorry, right? But please share your experiences and let me know if you think I should do it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
There is no doubt that you should microchip! Microchipping is cheap and if she is going to go in for teeth cleaning and spay, get her microchipped too. That is when I get all my kids microchipped. You always hope you won't have to use it but just in case - better safe then sorry.

I have never heard of any problems with microchipping but maybe others can share their experiences.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
YES to the microchip!!!! I feel the same way that you do, Peanut always has his leash harness and tags, but the most unexpected things could happen. It's my rule that when it comes to Peanut being over protective is better than being unprepared.

Do all three procedures at once and she'll be healed up and happy in no time!!! Peanut had his done with his neuter and all that was left was a little scab for a few days. I just feel safer knowing that there is a more permanent form of ID for Peanut because if the worst thing happened and Peanut was taken from me, they could just throw out is tags and no one would ever find my Nutty. Just my opinion

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all of you for the confirmation
I'm definitely getting it done. I just wanted to make sure it's a good idea - can you tell I have a hard time with decision making? LOL I was always the kid at the arcade prize counter spending like an hour to choose her cheap toys that would fall apart in an hour :lol:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Yes on microchipping--Like you, we researched and weighed pros and cons--Pros definitely outweigh the cons. Sylphide is microchipped, as will Shrek be when he goes in for neutering...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Originally posted by puppylucy@Mar 12 2005, 01:43 PM
Thanks all of you for the confirmation 
I'm definitely getting it done. I just wanted to make sure it's a good idea - can you tell I have a hard time with decision making? LOL I was always the kid at the arcade prize counter spending like an hour to choose her cheap toys that would fall apart in an hour  :lol:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=42626
[/QUOTE]

Jessica, you are a riot!

My vet told me that microchipping is essential, and is best done when Beastie goes in next month for neutering and any necessary removal of baby teeth. It's done via a very large bore needle, and better to be done under anesthesia along with other procedures (so they don't undergo unnecessary anesthesia).

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
YES DO,my three are going in as soon as Lamby gets adjusted here. In fact i just watched a show on Animal Precient,were a family got there cat back after 6 YEARS,because she had a chip !

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Carol Ann - thank you dear. You're more of one :lol:

Sheila - Omg, 6 years? That would have sold me all on its own. That's amazing

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have to agree with everyone else... microchips are the way to go. Tags can come off, but a microchip is a permanent record of your baby's address that is always with him/her. Many animals are returned home because of this.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
is injected right under the skin, and vets and shelters have scanners. when the chip is scanned, a number appears on the scanner. that number is a number specific to ur pet, and u will be registered through the company by that number. u can go to www.avidmicrochip.com to read more..thats the company my vet uses.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
A few months ago I saw on the news that not all microchips can be scanned by all machines. They showed a woman in LA whose dog was microchipped and somehow got lost. He ended up at a shelter and although he did have a microchip, it could not be scanned!! So he was put to sleep before the owner could get to him. Very sad. Apparently not all microchips are universal. I had Miko microchipped when he was neutered in Nashville. And of course I hope there is no chance that he will ever escape. But if something happens, I now worry that the microchip will be useless!! He doesn't wear a collar at home or outside (he always wears a harness outside only).

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
there are a few types...most scanners can pick them up...there is one type that needs a special scanner..this is all discussed on avids page.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts