Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
call and see if the county includes the registration with the microchip company. sometimes it is not included in the price b/c technically u can have the chip but not have the dog in the system. u can also call and ask what brand chip they use and compare it to the one ur vet uses. there is only three brands that i know of. we can get it done cheaper at school b/c the company donates the chips to the school. they robably do the same for the shelters. so im sure its a good chip. it is a big needle im sure wally will be fine. for toby it depends on how sensitive he is. parker is the biggest wus ever so i knew to do it when he was neutered. but some of these little guys are tough and hardly notice it. here are some FAQs that are good to read http://www.avidmicrochip.com/answer.htm i dont know if u r familiar with needle sizes but it is a 12gauge needle...thats bigger than the needles used in people to give blood. vaccines are given with a 25 or 22 gauge needle (the bigger the numer, the smaller the needle) if toby is a sensitive guy, i say go to the vet and have him numb the area first.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
We just had Beastie microchipped when he was neutered a little over a week ago. The vet said to have it done during the surgery while he was under anesthesia already, because it's done with a very large bore needle and is painful. She implanted a "HomeAgain" brand chip. I'm not sure about local chips or bargain chips. This one is a nationwide pet recovery service. If you're unsure, call your vet and ask. If you want more info on HomeAgain, the addy is: http://www.HomeAgainID.com

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I had all three of mine chipped at our Vet. He charged $35.00 per dog. He didnt use a numbing agent,I asked him about it and he told me they really didnt need it ,that very few of them even noticed.He said its really kinda amazing that they dont seem to mind it.Said it (size)prob. bothers us more than them ..gulp I said ,looked big to me! Anyway only one of mine cryed out and it was a brief(very) second at that! It really DIDNT bother them at all,they did not even bleed.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
The chips could be the same brand, but the county is donating their fee for insertion; whereas, the vet is charging $30 for this service. I would find out the name of the chip each uses. If the country is using one of the well known brands, then I would go with them. I would assume they have the reader to check their chip if your dog were to, God forbid, get away from you. This might not be the case as it's not that common for a vet to own a reader.
My Dee Dee was chipped when she was two pounds. She did just fine with it. The only one I've had trouble with was a larger dog as his skin was tougher, and it was harder to get the needle in.

·
Registered
608 Posts
One point to make.... there is not a scanner out there that will pick up all brands of chips. Each brand has it's own scanner. So if lost and you have a home again chip and the shelter has an avid scanner it will not pick up the number. I had my lab tattoo'd for this reason. Till one scanner does it all and one database holds all info the tattoo works better. My horses are tatttoo'd in their upper lip it is what gave me the idea.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole+May 1 2005, 06:46 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-dhodina
@May 1 2005, 06:32 PM
One point to make.... there is not a scanner out there that will pick up all brands of chips.  Each brand has it's own scanner.  So if lost and you have a home again chip and the shelter has an avid scanner it will not pick up the number.  I had my lab tattoo'd for this reason.  Till one scanner does it all and one database holds all info the tattoo works better.  My horses are tatttoo'd in their upper lip it is what gave me the idea.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58677
I knew that, but I thought I heard somewhere that the scanner will still pick up the chip so then it is just a matter of finding the right scanner for that particular chip. Is this true?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58683
[/B][/QUOTE]

From the way it was demonstrated to me no. It will not pick up anything if it is not the matching brand.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
"Are AVID® microchips and scanners "Universal"?

AVID® is the most cross compatible microchip system in the United States. You decide if you want to be able to read more than one brand of chip, or if you just need to read your own AVID chips (and not all others). You can purchase the MiniTracker that reads ONLY the AVID® SecureChip. Or you can purchase the MiniTracker Multi, which reads both of our chips and several other brands of chips as well.

On the chip side, you can purchase AVID® Secure chips that can be read only by an AVID® scanner, and by shelter scanners. Or you can purchase our EURO chip, which can be read by our Multi Scanner and by many other types of scanners as well. The price of the chips is the same."

i know that the avid scanner reads home again chips also.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Originally posted by Carol Ann@May 1 2005, 05:43 PM
We just had Beastie microchipped when he was neutered a little over a week ago. The vet said to have it done during the surgery while he was under anesthesia already, because it's done with a very large bore needle and is painful. She implanted a "HomeAgain" brand chip. I'm not sure about local chips or bargain chips. This one is a nationwide pet recovery service. If you're unsure, call your vet and ask. If you want more info on HomeAgain, the addy is: http://www.HomeAgainID.com
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58662
[/QUOTE]

i could have written that post
lucy had hers done under anethesia and it's a "home again" chip

·
Registered
608 Posts
Is the info all in one data base now too???? That is the great thing with technology it is always changing. I am glad to know it has changed since I had it done to Ranger.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
My dogs have Home Again chips.

Call your local shelters and animal control and find out if they have a universal scanner or only an avid or only a home again. Most of them, if they have a scanner, have a universal one.

We usually compare it to getting your ear pierced. Most dogs don't even notice. Some do. If your dog is a baby for needles, your vet can give them a little injection of carbocaine or something similar before implanting it or do it when they are under for spay or neuter. I usually do mine at 6 months when they are spayed/neutered or have their baby teeth pulled.

Just be sure the person doing it is experienced (animal control probably is quite experienced).

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
I just had Massimo chipped last week. My vet said they usually do it on small dogs when they're under for a cleaning or alteration....however Massimo was done awake. He let out a little yelp (but he's the biggest mama's boy). Before she did it she said "Now, I'm not gonna do it until you look away....." So I did, she did it, he yelped THEN she showed me the needle....I was a bit queasy. She said "Now you know why I didn't show you FIRST." He was done with the HomeAgain chip- and the registration was another $12.50. I usually don't have a collar on Massimo because he tends to mat when he's wearing one....he's never out of my sight but I wanted it done just incase. I couldn't imagine if he was lost, not to mention lost without any ID, and that would have been my fault. Best to be safe.

-c

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I had Lexi done at the vet when she was spayed. I think it was $30-40 plus $12 for registering the chip. My friend had her 2 dogs done at a clinic done by the local ARL. They were fine.

I would ask your vet if his price includes the registeration.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have a question, If you had to choose between a tatoo or the chip which one would you prefer? I think the chip is great as long as the person takes the dog to a place it can be scanned. I like the tatoo because its visable to the eye.. I just think if any one found Summer they would just keep her

My cleaning lady found a toy poodle the other day (no collor had nails done so you know she belongs to some family that cares about her) and can't find the owner I told her to call the SPCA and the local pound to see if anyone has called. She was just checking the paper everyday.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
It's a shame that the scanning equipment is not universal. Sort of like a Mac and PC... why oh why can't we have just one operating system...

But it's even more important with microchips.... Seems like everytime we think there is the perfect answer to something, it gets complicated!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Theresa@May 4 2005, 08:50 AM
I have a question, If you had to choose between a tatoo or the chip which one would you prefer?  I think the chip is great as long as the person takes the dog to a place it can be scanned. I like the tatoo because its visable to the eye.. I just think if any one found Summer they would just keep her

My cleaning lady found a toy poodle the other day (no collor had nails done so you know she belongs to some family that cares about her) and can't find the owner I told her to call the SPCA and the local pound to see if anyone has called. She was just checking the paper everyday.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59597
[/QUOTE]
Did she take her to a vet or the SPCA to have her scanned?

I prefer the microchip. I don't even know if they do tatooing around here. All of the vets and dog pounds have scanners. So do the police.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts