Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know your thoughts on Microchips?? Our Vet suggested it and said it could be done when we had her spayed (as it is quite a large needle for a small breed dog). She said it was strictly up to us. We kinda looked at one another and shrugged our shoulders......we never plan on her being out of our immediate presence and wondered why we would have it done?? Any thoughts??

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Feb 15 2005, 11:05 AM
I wanted to know your thoughts on Microchips??  Our Vet suggested it and said it could be done when we had her spayed (as it is quite a large needle for a small breed dog).  She said it was strictly up to us.  We kinda looked at one another and shrugged our shoulders......we never plan on her being out of our immediate presence and wondered why we would have it done??  Any thoughts??

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35535
[/QUOTE]

The topic of another thread morphed in to talking about microchipping.... Please scroll down to where Lady M talks about it... Some good info there.... Here is the link:

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2343&hl=

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi got one when she was spayed. I would recommend getting it. I hope there is never a reason to need it but it is there just in case. If Lexi ever did get out and someone found her. I want to make sure that they would be able to get her back to me.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
yes get it done now...b/c when u decide u want it later, that needle looks even bigger to u. best to get it done when she is under. there are no side effects of it, just the price. but it is worth it. tags can fall off, the microchip is permanent. u may not think she will ever be out of ur site. but she is very tiny and can slip out the door in a heartbeat. but read the other thread too

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
its ok to be redundant...it was a thread that needed its own title n e ways. like u, others didnt read the other topic. and i want everyone to know! no need to apologize

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Hey! The metro animal shelter here is doing microchipping for about 20 bucks. What do you guys think about that?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
sounds like a good price to me...does that include registration? the vet school is doing it for students for 10, but thats a super low price. i think my vet charges 4-50 and that includes registration.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Why would you microchip your pet and NOT register them? That doesn't make sense. Doesnt it defeat the purpose of microchipping them? LOL

Anyway, it's actually rabies shot plus microchipping for that price. Do I need to ask them anything about the rabies vaccination? Does it matter what brand/type they use?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
if u pet isnt due for rabies dont get the rabies shot. there are different types, but the shelter should be using the same tye your vet uses.

and the shelter might be only charging u for the microship, and then u have to register and pay that fee later, or it can be included, so make sure u ask that too.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
the funny part is... none of the vets kodie has been to has ever suggested a microchip.
and i didnt think to ask because i forgot all about it at the time of kodie's neutering.

J

·
0 Posts
Lacey's breeder microchipped her before I brought her home. The agreement is I can have the chip registered in my name but it also has to have the breeders name. This way in case she gets lost she will come back to one of us. My breeder told me she does this because a friend of hers who also breeds maltese sold a puppy. The puppy was turned into the shelter. The breeder had microchipped this little dog so the shelter ran the scanner over her, found the microchip and contact the breeder. The breeder went and got the dog. She couldn't believe that this lady turned the puppy over to the shelter when she had a contract with her stating that if she couldn't keep the dog for any reason the dog was to be returned to the breeder. At first I was a little taken back that someone would want her name also on this but now that I have Lacey I can understand. She is so sweet but she would be terrified in a cage in a shelter. So yes, get your little one microchipped and register. It was only $5.00 for me to add my name but I believe it is $15.00 for the first register.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
If you furbaby has already been spayed or neutured you can still have it done. I know the ARL here has microchipping clinics. It is only $20 for the chip plus the cost of registering.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I called our Vet. here and its 37.00 for the chip & 12.00 for registration.So after I get Nikki here I will get all three of mine done for sure.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Feb 15 2005, 02:41 PM
If you furbaby has already been spayed or neutured you can still have it done.  I know the ARL here has microchipping clinics.  It is only $20 for the chip plus the cost of registering.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35629
[/QUOTE]
yeah, i'm not going to sudate kodie just for that... maybe in the future... but not now. The surgan thats monitoring his incision told me he doesnt wanna have to put kodie under again.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
u dont have to sedate him...just depends on how sensitive he is to shots. does he scream when he gets shots? if not then he will prob be fine.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts