Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doctor Cathy,

I thought I'd start a new post on this topic. Microvascular Dysplasia causes the same symptoms as a Liver Shunt but is not surgically repairable. While the Liver shunt involves the main artery to the liver from the digestive system "shunting" blood away from the liver, MVD involves the micro-veins in the liver itself. Due to some abnormality, they do not pass the blood through the liver efficiently for cleansing.

Pico was diagnosed around 1 year when I took him for pre-dental blood work and his alts were high. They did a bile acid and those were high also. A sonogram showed no tumor or growth on the liver so a Transcolonic Nuclear Portal (shunt) study was done which ruled out a shunt. That pretty much left a diagnosis of MVD which would have required a biopsy but the vet at the imaging center, my vet and I all agreed to treat for MVD and let it go at that.

Pico is on l/d by Science Diet. (wow, it feels strange to say a Brand Name!) plus Denosyl SD4 90mg daily. Denosyl is a supplement of a naturally occuring molecule produced in the body from the amino acid methionine. Combined with the liver diet it has brought his alts down to near normal levels. You can read more at www.vetlearn.com and look for Pharm Profiles. Nutramax labs makes Denosyl.

I'm sorry, but I am totally disoriented from all the brand names and web site that I posted. Give me a minute to compose myself.

There. That's better. I'm myself again. Where was I? Oh, yes. My vet is not homeopathic or holistic in the strict sense of the term but he has done anecdotal studies on the effect of Denosyl on his patients, plus one of his Maltese has MVD and he has had excellent results using it in his practice.

Doctor Cathy, I don't know if you are planning a traditional or homeopathic practice when you finish school but it's good to know a broad range of therapies.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
thats so scary. im glad pico has a parent like you though. i hate hearing about people who say that their dog is sick and they dont think its worth it. i would try as hard as possible to keep my babies healthy and happy.

i havent decided what type of vet i want to be yet. but you're right---you want to know about more than just whats in the typical book. i didnt start the homecooked diet till my dogs were throwing up every week. i thought that dog food was fine and perfect for all dogs. but when you start reading all these books---all dogs are different. like sprite and gruffi can eat eggs---but ellie gets sick. or all three of my dogs cant have cottage cheese---but i know other dogs can.

i want to have a large medical office and to have posters and interactive games for kids to play with while waiting for their dog to be examined. i want kids and people to learn about how to treat animals. like i mentioned before on MO--my neighbor treats her dog like 'a dog'. its sad. i'll check out that site. i definitely want to learn more about picos disease.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Pico,
I finally found you. You gave me advice on another site about what to do with my little one, Kodie, because the vets around my area wanted to just jump to surgery to determine if he had a shunt or not. I DID take Kodie to up state NY like you said to do. The hospital was great! My little boy also has MVD. The doctor also remembers you and your little one. I dont have to keep Kodie on a special diet or any other things. I do have him on a low protein diet just incase. Is that a good idea? Do you remember me? I want to thank you for your help! I am so much more at ease because Kodie did not have to under go surgery.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts