Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okie, so I teach, but I'm currently doing the school thing to get my certification and stuff and I'm working on a portfolio...

I have NO idea what's supposed to go in it, what it looks like, or anything..

for those of you who teach, what did you put in yours?

anything that will help is greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Hmm...we didn't have to do anything like that..
When I got my masters, we had our thesis paper...and when I got my add-on endorsement for adminstration/supervision...we had a folder of sorts that had all our field experience stuff in it...assignments from the endorsement classes...responses to educational journal articles we had written, smaller research assignments...stuff like that.
I know that people that graduated after me had to do portfolios, but I have no idea what was in them...I would be interested to know myself...just for curiosity's sake.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hey there...I'm a teacher!!! Not so good to be a teacher in CA right now though! Arnold, you suck.

In California teachers have standards they have to teach to - not academic standards, but standards for the teaching profession. These are the six main standards:

1. Engaging and Supporting All Students in Learning
2. Creating and Maintaining Effective Environments for Student Learning
3. Understanding and Organizing Subject Matter for Student Learning
4. Planning Instruction and Designing Learning Experiences for All Students
5. Assessing Student Learning
6. Developing as a Professional Educator Together these six standards represent a developmental, holistic view of teaching, and are intended to meet the needs of diverse teachers and students in California.

When I was in my program, and doing my student teaching portion, I had to create a portfolio that had samples of how I was meeting these standards...and each one of the above had sub-standards. Go here:

Standards for Portfolio in CA

In all honesty, I just had to do it for school to get my credential...nobody wanted to see my portfolio on job interviews...at all!!!

You basically take student work samples, memos you have received, lessons and units that you have taught, in clear plastic sleeves.

I hope this helps. I haven't been on the board for quite some time...been busy with my administrative program coursework. I had to develop a program and be the leader of it...which I am still in the process of running. Takes a lot of time and work.

If you have anymore questions, email me. I do not frequent the board as much as I used to.

~Elegant

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Elegant...I think that sounds VERY similiar to what my friends probably had to do. I know one of them said that the principal asked to see her portfolio...but that was probably b/c she did her student teaching at that particular school and the principal knew she was working on it.

I guess all state teaching standards are similar...although not worded exactly the same...I was looking at your six standards and thinking they were almost the same as ours. It would be interesting to see them side by side with the substandards underneath them to compare. Just out of curiosity...

·
Registered
942 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Feb 21 2005, 07:12 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Elegant
@Feb 21 2005, 07:41 PM
I do not frequent the board as much as I used to. 

~Elegant
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36771
We've missed you..... Hope you'll start posting again!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36805
[/B][/QUOTE]
Thanks...I will start posting again when I am not as stressed out :new_Eyecrazy: . When I feel like I need to add info, I do.

I hope this info helped you...did it?

~Elegant

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah it helped

i calmed down a lot after i did some net searching...

i gotta get all this done along with praxis tests and ill be certified in may to get a job in the fall so my hubby and i can be independant from our parents again... its a lotta stress and i just kinda freaked out.

Thanks tho! Mine has to be based off the 5 basic propositions given by the national certification board.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Boom Boom's Mom@Feb 22 2005, 08:02 PM
yeah it helped

i gotta get all this done along with praxis tests and ill be certified in may to get a job in the fall so my hubby and i can be independant from our parents again... its a lotta stress and i just kinda freaked out.

Thanks tho!  Mine has to be based off the 5 basic propositions given by the national certification board.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37090
[/QUOTE]

Are you getting national board certification??!
If so...that is WONDERFUL!!!
I have thought about it...but right now Tennessee offers absolutely NOTHING for doing it as far as a pay raise!!!!
They will pay 1000.00 towards going to get it..but once you are finished, you get nothing except the big pat on the back and your name in the paper! Ha!!! I am SO waiting for them to think it is a big enough deal to add it into the salary scale...then I will go for it! I am sure not going to do it JUST FOR THE HECK OF IT! Way too much work!
Anyway, good luck! I know I wasn't any help...but glad Elegant was!
I just rambled...

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by tlunn+Feb 22 2005, 09:34 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Boom Boom's Mom
@Feb 22 2005, 08:02 PM
yeah it helped

Thanks tho!  Mine has to be based off the 5 basic propositions given by the national certification board.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37090

Are you getting national board certification??!
If so...that is WONDERFUL!!!
I have thought about it...but right now Tennessee offers absolutely NOTHING for doing it as far as a pay raise!!!!
They will pay 1000.00 towards going to get it..but once you are finished, you get nothing except the big pat on the back and your name in the paper! Ha!!! I am SO waiting for them to think it is a big enough deal to add it into the salary scale...then I will go for it! I am sure not going to do it JUST FOR THE HECK OF IT! Way too much work!
Anyway, good luck! I know I wasn't any help...but glad Elegant was!
I just rambled...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37113
[/B][/QUOTE]

mmm nope.. just state certification, but they make us use the national propositions anyway...

after another year outta school im gonna go for my masters in math ed
and perhaps as far as my doctorate in math ed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts