Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be getting a maltese tomorrow. Someone I know is giving hers up because she found out she got accepted to an internship this summer.

I'm a bit iffy about it though because the puppy is REALLY young. She's barely 8 weeks old. I think she got her from a BYB from the newspaper. Anyway, she had her first vet visit over the weekend and was given a clean bill of health, got dewormed, and her first set of shots.

I have to discuss it with my boyfriend first because we weren't really expecting a puppy until September or so, but this just fell on my lap this morning when I found out. She is a real cutie and a sweetheart! I played with her for a bit earlier. I wanted to take her home right then and there. I wish I had pictures to post.

So I'm in need of advice. Maybe a pro / con list or something. So far here is my list:

PROS: i get to have a puppy earlier than expected, she comes with all her belongings (crate, bed, food, toys, etc)
CONS: young puppy (7-8 wks), don't know much about her breeder

so what do you all think? I am at a fork in the road here. My friend is leaving in about 3 weeks.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Lexi's Mom! I was hoping someone would quickly respond.

YES exactly what I was feeling. I am very concerned about the puppy being so young. Not only are their the health concerns but also social concerns because I know that staying with its mom is very vital in it's early life. It's mother has to teach it so much more like socialization.

Her weight right now is 2lbs. I'm worrying about hypoglycemia and all that.

I am not concerned about the puppy getting my time and attention as of yet. I have a lot of free time right now. I am working from home right now as a webdesigner and finals has just ended. I don't have anything big coming up until late August and even then, I am walking distance to school and don't stay there for more than 2 hrs at a time.

The age and the puppy's family history and upbringing are the two most important concerns I have (and those are really BIG concerns).

PLEASE more advice... keep it comin

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you gave me a lot to think about sisses momma. :new_Eyecrazy:

honestly, i don't know where i will be in 5, 10, 20 years, but does any of us know? all i know is that i will give all my love and attention to whatever furry companion that comes into my life. here is my story:

i had a rabbit named kobe. i loved kobe with all my heart. he was my angel. i got him when i started college here in california (3 years ago). my cousin gave him to me after the "easter bunny" phase wore off. my aunt bought him at a pet store. like dogs, rabbits from petstores come from "rabbit mills".

anyway, after about 2 months with me, kobe stopped eating. so i brought him to the vet and the vet diagnosed him with malocclusion. it's a genetic disease where the rabbit's bottom teeth grow into the gums of the upper part of their mouth. the only choice was to get a very expensive surgery to remove his teeth altogether. so i took a freelance webdesign job and paid for it. even though i was a poor college student. i was NOT going to let my baby go.

so we got the surgery done and he was a happy bunny for the rest of his life until the end when his liver suddenly shut down. i have never loved any pet like kobe. That was a year ago and i didn't think i could love any other the same until one day i saw my very first maltese pup. and now i am ready again to devote myself and my heart. it was very difficult for me to come this far.

i was ready to reserve a malt from martha thomas for her sept. litter, but this came up today and i just really need some point of views.

thanks for reading my story if you got this far. it felt really great to let that out.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay, i have to post again.

i re-read all the replies and i am leaning towards NOT getting the puppy. purely based on the young age and the unknown background.

now i need advice on what i need to do to help my friend find her pup a proper home. i hate to think that the pup is going to show unhealthy signs later on or behavorial problems and have her passed from home to home.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by LadysMom@May 3 2005, 11:59 AM
Worst of all, though, is the heartbreak loving a chronically ill dog can bring. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59303
[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't wish that on anyone either. Especially when you could've tried to avoid it by going to a reputable breeder

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@May 3 2005, 12:07 PM
I would contact Northcentral Maltese rescue and let them help. They can foster the puppy and then find a home. They are extremely particular about placement (have you seen their application... a zillion pages!)... so she would get a great home.....
Northcentral Maltese Rescue

I think you are wise to wait for the right puppy that has all the best chances at good health, proper temperament, etc.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59309
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link!

I feel better already
I was getting nowhere googling "maltese rescue" i kept getting nyc rescues. do you know of any maltese rescues in california?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.